Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
xist said:
deanxxczx said:
all we have to wait for now is GEN D |:

Or you know, just patch the games manually yourself? It'd take about 10 minutes to do EVERY SINGLE ONE that needs decrypting, and you wouldn't have to wait for a potentially glitchy firmware.

There are few games from fw 5.55 to up I want, so I stay in M33 for now.
For the store, I actually have two PSP (one for my original games which need 5.55 to up), and hardly use the store.

ohoni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
With Yoshihiro's decrypter out, M33 is back on a practically even playing field with GEN. Some people may choose to update to GEN, some may not (I'm staying at M33 for a while).

I'm on M33 right now, and it works great, but I am bummed that I can't get Hitman Reborn working, which apparently doesn't work with m33 even with the decrypter. Also apparently Fullmetal Alchemist requires you to jump through several additional hoops to get it running.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly 5.00 M33-6 and 5.50Gen are the samething, except 5.50 is the newer FW, with support here and there etc.. I don't know why people just don't upgrade, all my homebrew, plugins and everything else work for 5.50GENB2 after i updated from M33. Do yourself the favor and update already... I don't comprehend why this is constantly a topic for debate. It's just like WII 4.2, just upgrade if you do it right, there's no worry.

**Correction PSN Store doesn't work, however 5.00M33 has been known to do the samething**

Wynd

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can actually use the PSN store via the PC software Sony Media Go with GEN-C. GEN-C spoofs Media Go into thinking you're on the latest firmware. Just in case you really need to get back into the store!
smile.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Wynd can i have a link to the 1.50 kernel addon for GEN and the M33 Speedboost patch too? (not fatmsmod)

GEN is still inferior to M33 in many ways. The fact that the active PSP community has changed over time leading to different priorities doesn't mean that the firmware of choice is the newest.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
GEN is still inferior to M33 in many ways.
Name them. You claim M33 is superior, and yet you don't back up your claim. I invite you to prove me wrong when I say that GEN and M33 are by all means equal right now. Oh, and be specific. Example, "GEN has a lot of bugs" isn't good enough. Tell me which bugs it has.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
How about the killer that Hellcats Recovery flasher can corrupt the flash on usage leading to a totally borked PSP? The simple fact is that the community as a whole reports many variable issues with GEN from video playback to XMB issues to ISO usage to plugins. It's reported far too widely for it to be user error.

I suppose you can provide links to the 1.50 kernel and the speedboost implementation then? And the plugins that haven't been updated to GEN yet? Whichever way you look at it GEN is just a frankensteined M33. GEN don't yet have DAX's know how having just worked with DAX's core info and that's precisely why new firmwares haven't arrived.

Defend it as stoically as you want....the M33 firmware was put together by someone who really knew what they were doing...GEN still have a fair way to go before equalling Dark Alex. If my phrasing caused you issues why is M33 inferior?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
Wynd can i have a link to the 1.50 kernel addon for GEN and the M33 Speedboost patch too? (not fatmsmod)

GEN is still inferior to M33 in many ways. The fact that the active PSP community has changed over time leading to different priorities doesn't mean that the firmware of choice is the newest.

1.50 Kernel support is no longer necessary, that's just hanging on tightly to a past you don't need to hang on to. For the odd homebrew that never got updated, eLoader is more than capable of loading them on GEN. Yoshihiro has stated the speed boosting patch is coming to GEN. (Read the changelog for GEN-C.) Although I'm sure once it does, you'll find something else to harp on, because nothing is as good as your precious M33. (You wouldn't even need the speedpatch if you'd bought a proper Pro Duo Mark2 in the first place I might add.)

Fact is, stating that GEN is inferior makes you look silly.

Does M33 automatically run 5.51+ required games without needing to patch them first? Didn't think so. Oh look, GEN-C does!

Does M33 run games like Full Metal Alchemist at all, even after being patched? Nope. Oh look, GEN-C does!

Does M33 provide any access at all to the PlayStation store? Nope, out of luck. Oh look, GEN did, and when blocked out again, GEN-C enables it via Media Go, and GEN-D proposes to open it up on the PSP again!

Can you upgrade to 6.10OFW and downgrade again using M33? Nope! Guess which CFW can?

People attack GEN for being unstable, buggy and a host of other things that simply aren't true. Those are the folks still firmly attached to Dark Alex's bum. Hey guess what? Dark Alex is gone, and another team has thankfully picked up the slack. What's Dark Alex done for you lately? Certainly not as much as Yoshihiro has, that's for sure. You can say that GEN is inferior until the cows come home, it doesn't make it true. If you like being behind the times and sticking with M33, go nuts -- but you're just going to get left farther and farther in the dust as the GEN team gives everyone the updates and functionality they crave. Dark Alex's firmwares weren't perfect in the beginning either, and yet people were more forgiving even then. Cut GEN the same slack they're doing a great job.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
How about the killer that Hellcats Recovery flasher can corrupt the flash on usage leading to a totally borked PSP? The simple fact is that the community as a whole reports many variable issues with GEN from video playback to XMB issues to ISO usage to plugins. It's reported far too widely for it to be user error.

Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors..

Are you trying to say Hellcats Recovery Flasher bricks GEN enabled PSPs? Huh? Hellcats Recovery Flasher even supports installing GEN as a firmware pack! The only PSP's I've ever seen bricked by the program are -3000's and TA-088v3s. For obvious reasons.

There is a bug with 480x272 video, but IIRC I had the same issue on M33. They're trying to fix it.

ISO issues? XMB issues? Only issues you're going to have with the XMB are with plugins that muck around with it. Even still, I've not seen one plugin on GEN mess anything up. Then again, most of the plugins that still matter have been updated and are continuing to be updated for GEN.

Unfortunately, 90% or more of the problems you see in the PSP scene are just what you said -- user error.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You obviously haven't read all my posts in this topic so it's pointless going on....and using GEN-C as a counter about buggy firmwares doesn't make me look silly i assure you. It may have an auto patcher but even the people who made it are advising not to use it! If you'd actually read what i've said on this you'd see my feelings on 1.50, but many still use some of the better emulators and some homebrew games...for DAX it was inconsequential adding a 1.50 addon. My point was that this is something that GEN cannot do. Full metal alchemist is playable the same way as many DS games using Cheat Codes (in CWCheat). Access to the Playstation store is useless to many, and easily obtained through an update to OFW...in fact why not run 6.10 and simply use the Test M33 option of DCv7 to play your games...best of both worlds.

Criticise you all you want for being a fanboy because again you haven't read, or have simply misunderstood my opinions on this. I'm not a DAX acolyte, i'm simply able to realise that just because someone is chucking stuff out doesn't mean it's the bee's knees. Yes i'm also a late adopter for everything in real life too, but the Miriam stole DAX's work way back when and thus the GEN foundations are not as well understood as the M33 ones.

HCRF was tested on 5.50 GENA and B and was found to cause flash corruption on removal of the GEN components on B...flashing a firmware over a good one isn't a big deal, the point i was making was flashing over a bad one, or one that caused problems in it's removal. The forums for the relevant link for this is down (convenient i know...) but i have no reason to lie about it. The Video issue to the best of my knowledge isn't present in 5.00M33 but i've never used my PSP for video playback so i can't attest to that being correct....google seems to suggest it's a GEN only issue however.

Personally i don't care about the latest firmwares...the PSP library is massive enough, as are the games available on the emulators and applications, so if CFW updates were to stop tomorrow i wouldn't be bothered. The thing is people hailing the GEN team as the second coming are worshipping a false messiah....DAX never needed to precede his releases with hype; they just arrived. Pick GEN or pick M33 just don't proclaim those who use the alternative as stupid (and no i'm not referring to anyone in this topic).

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Custom firmware 5.50 GEN-D is coming tomorrow (October 21 2009) at about 8:00 PM Central European Time (GMT+1 time zone, this includes Paris, France)! Here's the video by the PSP GEN team:

Changelog:
QUOTE said:
Whats in this new release ?
  • All features of 5.50GEN-B2 are available.
  • Compatibility with games requiring firmware 5.51 with no additional handling (now, you don’t need Game Decrypter)
  • Compatibility with most of games normally protected and refusing to be ran on a Custom Firmware (Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Calibur, etc). Yoshihiro has created a system to run them and he succeed to make this system more stable and it’s now compatible with all PSP, unlike the 5.50 GEN-C.
  • Possibility to connect at the Playstation Store via MEDIAGO, to retrieve game and goodies without having to install Fake USB or other complicated stuff.
Known bugs :
  • IR Shell can’t no longer launch ISOs, but a patch is ready and will be released as soon as possible
  • Video playback 480x272 in trouble but a fix is being studied
  • Option to accelerate the reading of MS is going to be ported to 5.50GEN
  • If you get a blackscreen when you start the installer, that’s because you are in 5.50 GEN-B(1) and not in 5.50 GEN-B2. So update to B2, and install the custom firmware 5.50 GEN-D.

If you look at the video, you will still can't access to the PlayStation Store while on GEN-D.

And, where can I download Media Go by Sony and what is it?

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I think this topic is going slighty into a flame wars regarding the M33 or GEN CF.

Having one of them is a matter of choice, regarding which is better or not. The same type of flame wars happens in the DS forums, wich flashcart to have and which is better.

I have remained in my M33 CF because I heard there was problems going from a GEN CF to a M33 back. I thinked of going from my 5.00 M33 to the GEN CF, but imagine this, after downloading the update, I read in my favorite site there are reports of bricked PSP's.

Now IS MY CHOOSE to stay into M33 and hope the claims of DAX coming back at the end of the month to be true. I don't mind manually patch the isos to get them work in my M33 (disgaea 2 is the only I can't made work for now, but I will get one original in a week or two).

That's why I have 2 PSP and 4 flashcarts, to have a chose of doing things.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It shouldn't need to descend into flaming....

Anyhow, claims of DAX coming back made where? I call total fabrication on any such claims until they're signed in blood which has been genetically tested for spanish ancestry. Until a new M33 firmware pops up then it's GEN or just don't update. Ignore the rumour mongers....

Edit
- Sorry for the edit...for reference sadak5, Disgaea 2 works fine on M33 once decrypted/patched.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
If my phrasing caused you issues why is M33 inferior?

QUOTE(Skyline969 @ Oct 20 2009, 11:54 AM) I invite you to prove me wrong when I say that GEN and M33 are by all means equal right now.

I don't think that M33 is inferior. I think GEN and M33 are equal, and that they're contenders in the rat-race to have the best CFW out there. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.
I'm not flaming or anything, I just want to know why people are so defensive of M33. Let's face the facts - M33 will die if DAX doesn't release a new CFW sooner or later. 5.00 can only go so far until it's considered obsolete. Sure it may be a contender right now with 5.50, but when new features are added and if (IF) team GEN releases a CFW for said firmware before M33, people will flock to it despite minor inconveniences it may have such as a lack of support for a few plugins. And AFAIK, Hellcat's Recovery Flasher works just fine on 5.50 GEN-B2. Video playback works fine for me; I haven't noticed a single issue with it. XMB issues? What issues? I have yet to notice an issue with the XMB. According to the GEN-D release notes, you can access the PSN if you use Media Go. Can you do that with 5.00 M33-6?
Just which version of GEN are you comparing 5.00 M33-6 to anyways, xist? If you're comparing it to 5.02 GEN-A or even 5.50 GEN-C, I suggest you reconsider your logic, as these two firmware versions have already been reported to have issues where GEN-B2 does not. GEN-D will be even better, as it's reported to have fixed all the bugs of GEN-C and still be an upgrade from GEN-B2.
No, I'm not a GEN fanboy, but I am one who will defend something when it's worth defending.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
xist said:
It shouldn't need to descend into flaming....

Anyhow, claims of DAX coming back made where? I call total fabrication on any such claims until they're signed in blood which has been genetically tested for spanish ancestry. Until a new M33 firmware pops up then it's GEN or just don't update. Ignore the rumour mongers....

Edit
- Sorry for the edit...for reference sadak5, Disgaea 2 works fine on M33 once decrypted/patched.
Yhen I need to search for a properly patched iso....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    mthrnite @ mthrnite: and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant