Review Casual Cut-the-rope

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, I don't have much time for an awesome review for an awesome product, hence I'll do this (quick) review. This doesn't mean I don't care about the quality!

Today, I will do a review on a game which is one of the highest rated in the Apple AppStore and sorta just landed in the Android Market. One of the highest rated? Overrated? Well, I'll do my own review on it. This game is Cut The Rope, available on the iOS AppStore and Android Market at 99 (US) cents.

IMG_0651.png
Cute huh? Packaged in a box!

Since this game is a casual and quick one, let me separate it to the following:
  • About this game
  • How to play
  • Fun level?
  • Problems faced with application
  • Personal rating - plus comparison with other ratings

All photos are from my iPhone. Y'know, press the on/off screen button with the home button together to snap a photo of your current page? Yeah, that's how.

About this game
This game is meant to be made as a quick puzzle game, possibly aimed at the mass market. Why?

Firstly, this game was launched and is still at 99 cents. It's considered a cheap option in the Market/Store. With all other ratings such as 'WORTHWHILE PURCHASE', definitely would influence people to buy it huh?
wink.gif

Secondly, this game was made in mind that it's a fun and casual puzzler. This game would certainly make you occupied when waiting for your train or any other interval time.

Finally, at children. The game's graphics are child friendly with colorful menus and boxes together with the ultimately cute On Nom (the monster which wants the candies). [/p]

IMG_0643.png
That little creature in the middle? Yeah, that's On Nom.

Okay okay, enough of the crap. What about it anyway?

This game is actually really simple. See that candy tied with ropes? Yes, you are supposed to cut those ropes, avoid those spikes and electricity, pop those bubbles, use those socks etc. to get that candy to On Nom. Sounds easy, huh? It actually starts off really easy, but later on... you'll soon find this game a pain in the neck. [/p]

How to play
IMG_0647.png
ME WANT MY CANDY!!!
This game is actually darn simple to play (that's why it's casual). Just simply use your finger to slice away the desired ropes! Cut the correct ones (and on later levels at the right time) and the candy goes to On Nom, cut wrong ones or at the wrong time and the candy just doesn't get to that creature.

Your goal isn't just about getting the candy to On Nom, but also to collect stars as well (to unlock later levels and for more points). The starting levels are very easy and you should be able to get all 3 stars without much problem. However as the game continues you will soon see a huge difference in difficulty and the stars get harder and harder to collect. Some will take some critical thinking, some require appropriate timing, and some even need you to be fast as certain stars later on will disappear after some time!

Different levels may also require you to use touch to get the candy to On Nom. You not only cut the ropes with your fingers, but also to pop bubbles and activate the blowers. Some activate automatically, like candy teleportation using... hats? [/p]

IMG_0649.png
Even if you get all three stars but fail to deliver the candy to On Nom, you still lose.

How fun is it exactly?
This is a strategic casual puzzler, and the first few levels or so are tutorials helping you to brush up on your skills to master them. It starts off very fun, and addictive! Based on my experience, you'll keep wanting to unlock all the boxes and see what other boxes have to offer. The graphics of this game are also warm and cute, and you'll smile whenever you see that innocent little brat chewing on that piece of candy.

However, this game gets difficult very very fast. After a few levels of a new box, the game starts to get devastating and trying to rip you apart (especially Magic Box, which I have YET to complete). As levels get tougher and tougher and you keep on losing, you'll eventually 'give up', or sorta lose interest. But thanks to the cute graphics, you won't really lose interest that quickly, unlike Angry Birds (which I have given up on a looooooong time ago).

Therefore, for this game, patience and resilience is virtue. If not you'll find yourself wasting 99 cents, which can get you... an icecream cone?[/p]

Problems faced with app
For such a 'cheap' app, you'll definitely face at least a few problems, right? Well, yes.

After a few game updates, I noticed that loading time was slightly draggy and longer than before. But not that much of an issue. Gameplay is still quite smooth and no major problems.

However, a huge problem on the iOS version is when the candy miraculously disappears when you multitask. Double press the home button, switch to another app and switch back, and you might ask yourself, 'WHERE'S THE CANDY?'

Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time (Maybe 2 - 4 out of 10 times). And all you need to do to rectify this problem is to restart the level. Not much of a problem. [/p]

IMG_0644.png
Where's the candy!?

Personal overall verdict
IMG_0650.png
How many of you actually seen this?

Cut The Rope overall is a very fun, very cute puzzler. It successfully attracts many and it's not a game too easy as well. People normally expect 99 cent games to have no true purpose and just a waste of money. Yes, for the puzzle hater this game might be an awful waste but it sure does test your thinking skills, timing and many other 'brainy stuff'. Kids would likely to benefit from this minigame, and possibly even teens, adults and even the elderly. We lack the brain training, and games like Brain Age look darn dull and may seem to take forever. Cut The Rope successfully surpasses the dullness and 'stimulates' your mind - indirectly.

So, has the AppStore overrated this game? I would say a little. It isn't AS addictive as written, but it sure has that certain bit of addiction. Cute? Yup! But if On Nom would move if you touched it, that would be even cuter. The puzzles are really difficult and mind boggling in the later levels, learn to persevere and go thru it and you should be good to go.[/p]

Overall rating for Cut The Rope: 8/10

Oh and before I go...

IMG_0645.png
Yummy!

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice format. Clean style and easy to read too. When I get another Touch (if ever lol) I'll definitely be checking out this game.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda cool looking.

Great review, as well. If I had an Android phone or an iPhone (lawl), I'd certainly pick this up.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the few iOS games that I've actually enjoyed, and played all the way through. Nice review.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K @ Kaden Kyarel: can anyone explain why I get ads when I'm paying for no ads?