Hacking Can't I just start from scratch?

reddpr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's up folks,

A couple of years ago I purchased a Wii and got a random friend of a friend to modd it for me. I am oblivious to what method he used, but since I was able to play back ups via neogamma just fine, I never asked questions.

Over the years the amount of new games that I was able to play were less and less. I began reading into it, forum post after forum post would suggest lengthy lists of iOS patches, and alternative back up loader apps (such as USB loader) that would help me deal with newer games.

But every time I would start following through detailed lists of instructions on how to install this or that iOS, was, or app, I would start getting some error messages. I would then google that error message, only to end up getting yet another error message trying to fix the original. Three days later, and I find myself with a big mess. Almost no app works, and I have a complete mess in regards to which I OSs I have, don't have, or are incorrectly installed. I can't even get bootmii to open from my buggy homebrew.

My troubleshooter intuition tells me to find a way to restore my wii to original factory settings and original, and start from scratch using one of the more comprehensive guides. What do you think?

Does the wii's factory restore option even install original Ios's? Will it brick my Wii?

Are there alternate methods to refresh all iOSs to factory versions?

Should I try to access bootmii again, using one of the other soft mod methods?

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly - I would use ModMii. I have absolutely little to no clue on modding a Wii but I used ModMii and have now successfully modded 5 Wii's without an issue. I know, 5 is not many but 3 of those was in the last few weeks.

I ran modmii, answered the questions and followed the tutorial wizard that gets auto created. It was an absolute breeze. A long time a go I used modmii to fix a Wii someone else had oft modded but was getting errors - much like yours...

Once completed you will be modded and have a channel installed to start a homebrew app. I use USB loader or wiiflow - which modmii downloads for you as part of the tutorial wizard

Anyway - that is my 2c worth and I can't recommend modmii enough :) others preferothernmethods but for a novice - I would go nowhere else

Edit: above post was posted while I was typing mine... They just said it without being long winded and with a link :)

noob killer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea i used that same one that boomario suggested a while back and havent had much problems i also us usb loader gx i think its called to play my games with little to no problems

reddpr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FIXED

I'm pretty impressed.

I'm surprised that after three days of digging around I hadn't found this.

Thanks. 20 minutes with ModMii and I was set.

Again, thanks a lot guys.

jooseph87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ModMii is pretty neat! However my skills are on 0 level and i have an issue not exactly sure what with.. sorry for bothering you with stuff like this but im a real noob...also wasn`t sure where to post this..
so..I`ve followed all the Modmii instructions and installed everything as it should be ( i do believe so, no error messages etc..) I`ve downloaded some ISO files with Wii games and transfered them to 8gigs usb stick in fat 32. There is wbfs folder & currently there are two game files. I used Wii backup manager to transfer files to the stick (is there anything else i need to do with this files in backup manager?!) When i startup the wii and go to usb loader & press start i get black and white wii logo which disappears after few seconds and directs me back to wii`s main menu...
i guess that i am missing something really obvuious and i feel so stupid.. what am i doing wrong..? please help..

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
when running the modmii wizard, did u tell it to install a usb-loader for you? If not, you can just run ModMii's usb-loader set up guide, that will ensure you have a usbloader on your SD card and\or FAT32 USB HDD. The reason why the channel is returning to the Wii menu is because it's not able to find a usb-loader on your SD card or USB.

Also, make sure you got your HDD plugged into USB port0, the port nearest the edge of the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Head