Hacking Can't do BootMii Recovery with v 0.3

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Izzy said:
They will probably have fix'd this in Beta 4, so you won't have to do anything special, and it will probably work as good as Beta 2.

They will:

Svenwe found the bug and will fix it in the next release.
don't worry, your nand backups are fine.
You can append the key file to your nand backups just in case you need to restore them and are unable to and/or don't want to go back to beta2.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bdr9 said:
BlackAce83 said:
in the bugs forum in the link above you can read it there
OK thanks.
QUOTEYou can append the key file to your nand backups just in case you need to restore them and are unable to and/or don't want to go back to beta2.
Do you think they will create a small tool to make it easier for you to do that?

how do we do this? hex-editing? a little explanation from anyone who knows? Im not super hex-literate.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been working on this myself, What your apost to do is open the key.bin with a hex editor and copy all 1024bits and paste this on the end of the nand.bin all using a Hex editor but heres the problem it doesn't work at all using the key.bin, the only way i've been able to get a dump made from Beta3 to work was open a Nand.Bin made by beta2 and copy and paste the last 1024bits of info made by bootmii and paste this on the end of the beta 3 nand.bin dump thats makes it works fine, but i dont think that would help you at all. So i'm starting to think the key.bin is actually corrupt that would be my guess as why i can't get it to work using the hex edit method but am able to get it to work fine cutting the last 1024bits of info from a beta2 dump.

edit: ok noobwarrior7 i can get your dump working with just the key.bin if you want me to explain by pics i can.

Instructions to make a beta 3 dump usable for those that really need it

1. Open Key.bin in a hex editor look for the Word ConsoleID if you notice in the hex editor theres no space between console and ID there should be and sense theres not you will need to add this Space
To add a Space between Console and ID just put 20 in hex which is a Blank Space between Console and ID, without over writing any data and without moving all the data forward except the chunk your working on and hit save Now highlight and copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin

Before and After Pics of the Key.bin
Before
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5926/beforekeybin.jpg
After The Fix
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7411/afterkeybin.jpg

2. Now Open up Nand.bin in the hex editor scroll down to the every end and hit paste, to copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin. to the end of the Nand.bin and hit save

3. Now your Dump is usable

Heres the easier method thanks to IceFire sense i had no clue you could do this but you'll still have to fix the error in the key.bin with the space between ConsoleID before you can do this

Put the files (keys.bin and nand.bin) in root of the SD card, then:

Windows:
1) Start -> Run -> cmd
2) Find the drive letter of your SD card, for example, F:.
3) Type this, replace the X with the drive letter: cd X:\
4) Type this: copy /b nand.bin + keys.bin nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

*nix (Mac and Linux):
1) Open a terminal.
2) Find the mount point of your SD card (/media/VOLUMENAME often on Linux, /Volumes/VOLUMENAME on Mac)
3) Type this, replacing MOUNTPOINT with the mount point of your SD card: cd MOUNTPOINT
4) Type this: cat nand.bin keys.bin > nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@BlackAce83, if this really works, nice find!
biggrin.gif

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I had a few minutes free this morning.
thanks to BlackAce83 we have a way to fix the 0.3 dump error..

so I decided to give a hand to everyone who do not feel comfortable with an hex editor.

here is a small application that does it all for you.

it will check the keys.bin and patch it if needed.
it will modify the nand.bin if available
it will also give you the unique console ID contained in the keys.bin
and it write a log file to make sure you can keep track of what has been done.

if the keys.bin is not valid a new one will be created named "keys-fixed.bin" so the original is not modified
the nand.bin IS modified, but only the keys part.. so if you need to revert you simply need to delete this part.

the only thing you need to do is to copy in the application folder
1. the keys.bin.
2. the nand.bin. not mandatory, put it there only if you want to modify it

I hope you find it useful

http://rapidshare.com/files/269802615/Bootmii-KEYFIX.rar
(no download limit)

Cheers,
R

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
over at hackmii i posted this problem and dhewg posted a possible solution for it.

Its a new ppcboot.elf on your sd card in the bootmii folder.

I havent had a chance to test it out yet though but if anyone else wants to try they can to

http://hackmii.com/2009/08/hackmii-installer-v0-3/

Look at the comments for the link to the new ppcboot.elf

I'm guessing thats the official Fix, i'll try that out later myself also. Thanks

Edit: Works Good, Doesn't require the keys at all
surely they have now included it in the hackmii installer0.3 i wouldn't think they would release a new version for just this fix

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BlackAce83 said:
icpmattj said:
over at hackmii i posted this problem and dhewg posted a possible solution for it.

Its a new ppcboot.elf on your sd card in the bootmii folder.

I havent had a chance to test it out yet though but if anyone else wants to try they can to

http://hackmii.com/2009/08/hackmii-installer-v0-3/

Look at the comments for the link to the new ppcboot.elf

I'm guessing thats the official Fix, i'll try that out later myself also. Thanks

Edit: Works Good, Doesn't require the keys at all

You still need the keys file though that beta 3 created right?

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just tried it with the new ppcboot.elf and it does not work for me, neither with or without keys.bin.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Same as before, "Dump is for a different Wii".

I first tried my "old" Backup I did yesterday, and then created a new one, same result.

Hopefully it won't take 3 months until the release of Beta 4 as this is pretty much the whole point of BootMii.

Once again, no worries for me as I can use my old dump from Beta 2, but for other users...
wacko.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
new ppcboot doesnt work for me either.

tried it with keeping the key bin on the sd card and then tried it without the key bin on the sd card.Still doesnt work.

Tried posting my results at hackmii but it will not let me leave a comment at all says i need to login and when i do and go back to leave a comment it tells me to login again.

Posts merged

new ppcboot doesnt work for me either.

tried it with keeping the key bin on the sd card and then tried it without the key bin on the sd card.Still doesnt work.

Tried posting my results at hackmii but it will not let me leave a comment at all says i need to login and when i do and go back to leave a comment it tells me to login again.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did the key fix thing from redia and it worked.

Bootmii detects it like its supposed to.

My question is though has anyone actually restored a backup of the nand after using the key fix?

I know it makes bootmii see that the nand backup is from the same wii but will it be normal after a restore.

Also i made the backup with beta 3 when it first came out.

after i did the key fix thing i ran the simulated restore and it said some pages/blocks would be deleted after restore.

The thing is though i havent installed anything new on my wii at all.
so why would stuff change? unless game saves would make it change but thats the other thing that has changed since i made the backup with beta 3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo