Hacking Can't do BootMii Recovery with v 0.3

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've earlier installed BootMii os boot2 and it's been working great, and now when I've updated to v 0.3, the first thing I did was a NAND Backup.
But when I'm entering the Recovery Menu, this is what I get:

"RestoreMii v0.6, NAND ID: addc8095
Checking boot2...
BootMii is found in boot2, ok to proceed.
Dump is for a different Wii

Hit any button to exit"

What did I do wrong now?
I saw that there's no longer just a nand.bin file, but a keys.bin file as well, and I haven't done anything about them (except backing up those files on my computer as well)

This is what I did:

I first installed the Hackmii v 0.3 installer using my original SD Card with all apps in, then I copied the Bootmii folder to my other SD Card, did a Nand Backup, and now I can't seem to do a Recovery.

There's nothing wrong with my Wii, it's working fine, I just wanted to try and do a restore.
Though... If something now goes wrong, I guess I'm screwed?

/Izzy

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Instructions to make a beta 3 dump usable for those that really need it

1. Open Key.bin in a hex editor look for the Word ConsoleID if you notice in the hex editor theres no space between console and ID there should be and sense theres not you will need to add this Space
To add a Space between Console and ID just put 20 in hex which is a Blank Space between Console and ID, without over writing any data and without moving all the data forward except the chunk your working on and hit save Now highlight and copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin

Before and After Pics of the Key.bin
Before
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5926/beforekeybin.jpg
After The Fix
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7411/afterkeybin.jpg

2. Now Open up Nand.bin in the hex editor scroll down to the every end and hit paste, to copy all of the 1024bits of the key.bin. to the end of the Nand.bin and hit save

3. Now your Dump is usable

Heres the easier method thanks to IceFire sense i had no clue you could do this but you'll still have to fix the error in the key.bin with the space between ConsoleID before you can do this

Put the files (keys.bin and nand.bin) in root of the SD card, then:

Windows:
1) Start -> Run -> cmd
2) Find the drive letter of your SD card, for example, F:.
3) Type this, replace the X with the drive letter: cd X:\
4) Type this: copy /b nand.bin + keys.bin nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

*nix (Mac and Linux):
1) Open a terminal.
2) Find the mount point of your SD card (/media/VOLUMENAME often on Linux, /Volumes/VOLUMENAME on Mac)
3) Type this, replacing MOUNTPOINT with the mount point of your SD card: cd MOUNTPOINT
4) Type this: cat nand.bin keys.bin > nand.bin
5) ?????
6) PROFIT!!!

UPDATE

QUOTE said:
I had a few minutes free this morning.
thanks to BlackAce83 we have a way to fix the 0.3 dump error..

so I decided to give a hand to everyone who do not feel comfortable with an hex editor.

here is a small application that does it all for you.

it will check the keys.bin and patch it if needed.
it will modify the nand.bin if available
it will also give you the unique console ID contained in the keys.bin
and it write a log file to make sure you can keep track of what has been done.

if the keys.bin is not valid a new one will be created named "keys-fixed.bin" so the original is not modified
the nand.bin IS modified, but only the keys part.. so if you need to revert you simply need to delete this part.

the only thing you need to do is to copy in the application folder
1. the keys.bin.
2. the nand.bin. not mandatory, put it there only if you want to modify it

I hope you find it useful

http://rapidshare.com/files/269802615/Bootmii-KEYFIX.rar
(no download limit)

Cheers,
R

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Euhm okay... But why would BootMii write the wrong key in nand.bin in the first place?
Is it the right way to do anyway, sounds a bit risky.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Izzy said:
Euhm okay... But why would BootMii write the wrong key in nand.bin in the first place?
Is it the right way to do anyway, sounds a bit risky.

because they are not writing the keys to the nand.bin dump at all for some reason, but yet bootmii still has the protection to check for the keys in the nand.bin. i'm unsure myself why they changed this

edit:

If it sounds risky it more than likely is? i wouldn't recommend doing the nand restore right now, just wait, maybe this issue will be resolved shorty Just guessing though

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure?
Wouldn't BootMii Recovery look for both the nand.bin and the keys.bin in v0.3? (I don't know)

If the new v0.3 is supposed to write the seperate ID Key of your Wii (Or whatever it now is), so that other people with bricked Wii with boot2 but without a nand restore, could use someone elses and just change the key for it?

But my question is, why couldn't it be written in BOTH the nand.bin and the keys.bin when you do a backup?

There's probably a brilliant sollution for this, or something, but maybe someone else knows more?

EDIT: I've actually never done a restore, so it would be nice to now if it works for me... :/

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... I was about to update to 0.3 from 0.2 when I read this; now I'm quite worried.

Does this happens for everyone? What's the official word about it?

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Well i tested again for the third time, the nand dumps from beta 3 is completely useless even adding the key.bin to the end doesn't work like mentioned earlier, definitely their is a major bug here.
Dumps from beta 2 and beta 1 work fine on beta 3, just not dumps from beta 3, I haven't been able to get them to work at all, So i've reported the problem hopefully this gets fixed.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, well I've got 2 nand backups done with V 0.2, so it's nice to know atleast THEY work with BootMii V 0.3, but still. It would be nice if 0.3 worked as it should.
frown.gif

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ask again... for NOBODY works the dumps from 0.3 in 0.3? I think that if that was so, then hell would have broken open already :S

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive had the same exact problem, dumps from 0.3 seem completely useless, which is unfortunate as I need one. "different wii" error every time.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe try putting keys.bin in the /bootmii/ folder? The BootMii beta 3 changelog says that it's supposed to dump it there, but it dumps it to the root of the card instead. Perhaps RestoreMii still expects it to be there.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I tried putting the keys.bin into the bootmii folder and...

... No difference at all!

Damn, I wasn't even thinking about updating to 0.3 at all...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried the same thing.

Restoring a backup made from beta 3 doesnt work.Gives me the another wii message.

Restoring a backup from beta 2 works in beta 3.

I also moved the keys.bin to the bootmii folder and still no luck.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, but that shouldn't be necessary.
frown.gif

I mean, it worked with v 0.2. :/

I as well tried restoring a backup from Beta 2 in Beta 3 and that worked like a charm. Good to know it works, and thank G*D I did a nand backup in Beta 2.
wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.