Cancelled Xbox 360 'GoldenEye 007' remaster leaks online

goldeneye.jpg

Initially developed as a title for the Xbox 360’s Live Arcade service, the remaster of the N64's classic GoldenEye 007 got canned in 2008 and never saw the light of day. “The main reason it didn’t happen was because there were too many stakeholders,” GoldenEye composer Grant Kirkhope, who was at Rare during the remaster’s development, told Video Games Chronicle. “Microsoft, Nintendo and EON [owners of the Bond license] could never agree on terms, and that’s before you even start to consider getting all the original movie actors to agree to have their likenesses used again. It would’ve cost a lot of money to get it done and because of that the project probably wouldn’t have been financially viable."

However, a near-final beta build has now found its way online and is reportedly playable on the Xbox 360 emulator Xenia. Being a remaster, it features a graphical overhaul, while still allowing players to switch between HD textures to the original N64 ones by pressing the right shoulder button. Playable on this leaked build is the single-player campaign and local multiplayer in split-screen. However, online multiplayer and leaderboards which were planned features for the final release aren't available.

You can find more about the features of this remaster from Digital Foundry's 2.5-hour livestream of the game below:

:!: As the leaked build for the unreleased GoldenEye 007 remaster is available online, here's a reminder that at GBAtemp we do not, under any circumstances, condone piracy, and will not facilitate the spreading of illegal ISO files, or any other kind of warez. Please be mindful when posting in threads and:

Please do not ask for illegal files
Please do not post illegal files
Please do not share links to sites that host illegal warez
Failure to adhere will result in account suspensions or permanent bans.
This isn't our first rodeo, you have been warned!

If you see any of these activities, please report them.

If you have any questions please refer to :arrow:GBAtemp's TOS

:arrow: SOURCE

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This game only brings back amazing memories for me. We used to hang out in my friends basement and play 007 and killer instinct for hours. We would have a Arcade style setup and we would line up to fight the winner. Thanks for sharing!

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This game is proof why copyright laws are, as they stand, absolute bullshit.

Worse this game could have been rereleased to tie in with the then newest Bond Movie quite easy. Just change bond skin to match the then current actor playing Bond, change the skin and name of the villain and add a new level based on the newest movie.

And done; new tie in game; actually just the old game with upgrades.

Last edited by raxadian,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modern controls? Yes. Crosshair? No.
Yes it has crosshair, you press the aim button.

You dont need crosshair as such because the game had auto aim when near enemies it would snap to them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Worse this game could have been rereleased to tie in with the then newest Bond Movie quite easy. Just change bond skin to match the then current actor playing Bond, change the skin and name of the villain and add a new level based on the newest movie.

And done; new tie in game; actually just the old game with upgrades.
They did.....

its called goldeneye reloaded with daniel craig on ps3/360

Last edited by ,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a remake from the Wii game. Also the Wii version still got the highest scores. compared to reloaded.
Never said anything about it been a remake of the crappy wii version, simply stated your question saying they should redo with modern bond.

This was it.

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I mean, yeah? You condone piracy, right? Seems a little strange like this. Is it bad worded?

hint: "condone" has nothing to do with spanish word "condena". "we do not condone" = "we do not allow", and yeah it was confusing for me too at first

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hint: "condone" has nothing to do with spanish word "condena". "we do not condone" = "we do not allow", and yeah it was confusing for me too at first
Lmao thanks! Didn't know this "false friend"... Good to know, and sorry

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah what a disappointment this wasn’t officially released. After all it’s not as if Xbox gamers are flooded with dozens upon dozens of shooters each and every year. Not enough pew pew for the MS crowd.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone here that had motion sickness with the original play this version? Is the FOV better and does the FPS help with motion sickness. After 20 Minutes on the n64 I can't play anymore and I have to go to bed it was that bad. So I would only play about 10 minutes a day.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Updating my own post. Played it for about an hour. Playing at 16:9 I think gives a FOV of 90 and Increased Frame rate was helpful for motion sickness and I don't know if turning off "camera roll" also helped because it seemed like the camera bobbed up and down less with it off, does that make any sense? There is still some bobbing so after about an hour of playing I can feel the early signs of motion sickness coming on, so I stopped. I think 1 hour is pretty good compared to the original. Either I am less sensitive now or the above have helped.

As for the port, it doesn't feel like they did much with it. Ya the graphics are improved but it feels lazy. Switching to n64 graphics and wtf, they seriously added a blur filter to the graphics to make them worse. Did Rare even ever try an emulator? Even at 640x480 stretched to a 1080p screen the graphics aren't as bad as what they did. I think they purposely did that so when they pitched the game they could exaggerate the "quality" improvements. I don't think they would even have the mode in the final game, but then again it is Rareware.

Edit: Also load times are bad in the game with levels taking maybe 10 - 15 seconds to load compared to cart. If your going to play it, note when you first load it up its just a black screen for about a minute, I thought I got a bad dump, so i kept exiting and going back to Freestyle Dash. At some point I started it again and went back to the computer to check if others experienced the same problem but then I heard the game come on.

Last edited by gbadl,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating my own post. Played it for about an hour. Playing at 16:9 I think gives a FOV of 90 and Increased Frame rate was helpful for motion sickness and I don't know if turning off "camera roll" also helped because it seemed like the camera bobbed up and down less with it off, does that make any sense? There is still some bobbing so after about an hour of playing I can feel the early signs of motion sickness coming on, so I stopped. I think 1 hour is pretty good compared to the original. Either I am less sensitive now or the above have helped.

As for the port, it doesn't feel like they did much with it. Ya the graphics are improved but it feels lazy. Switching to n64 graphics and wtf, they seriously added a blur filter to the graphics to make them worse. Did Rare even ever try an emulator? Even at 640x480 stretched to a 1080p screen the graphics aren't as bad as what they did. I think they purposely did that so when they pitched the game they could exaggerate the "quality" improvements. I don't think they would even have the mode in the final game, but then again it is Rareware.

Edit: Also load times are bad in the game with levels taking maybe 10 - 15 seconds to load compared to cart. If your going to play it, note when you first load it up its just a black screen for about a minute, I thought I got a bad dump, so i kept exiting and going back to Freestyle Dash. At some point I started it again and went back to the computer to check if others experienced the same problem but then I heard the game come on.
So it's nowhere near the quality of the Xbox 360 Perfect Dark?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1