• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can someone explain to me the importance of Pride parades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im all for equal opportunities for all, man/woman/gay/straight/other. However I've never seen the point of pride parades, my main argument is lgbt peeps want to be a place where theyre equal but throw big spectacles where they're the centre of attention.

I know this is just my naivety as a straight male and without knowing anyone on a close personal level where the importance can be explained to me I resort to asking the forum as I know as we have a diverse community here.

Just for the record, I'm all for equal rights, what a person does in their own life's shouldn't affect anyone but them as long as people aren't hurting each other (without consent) alls good with me.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im all for equal opportunities for all, man/woman/gay/straight/other. However I've never seen the point of pride parades, my main argument is lgbt peeps want to be a place where theyre equal but throw big spectacles where they're the centre of attention.

I know this is just my naivety as a straight male and without knowing anyone on a close personal level where the importance can be explained to me I resort to asking the forum as I know as we have a diverse community here.

Just for the record, I'm all for equal rights, what a person does in their own life's shouldn't affect anyone but them as long as people aren't hurting each other (without consent) alls good with me.
For much of history, LGBT people have been met with violence and discrimination. They've been told to deny who they are or to at least hide it. Pride parades are a counterprotest to that, symbolizing the famous phrase, "We're here. We're queer. Get used to it."

Without pride and pride parades, basic LGBT identity would be challenged.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I think once upon a time pride festivals served a point, but the way they have evolved into flaunting sexual fetishes makes me wonder if this is how most LGBT people want to be viewed or if maybe just maybe they want to live like just about anyone else.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think once upon a time pride festivals served a point, but the way they have evolved into flaunting sexual fetishes makes me wonder if this is how most LGBT people want to be viewed or if maybe just maybe they want to live like just about anyone else.
Pride parades still serve the same purpose I outlined above. LGBT identity and LGBT rights are still being actively challenged. LGBT discrimination is still rampant. Violence against LGBT individuals is an epidemic. Homophobia isn't over.

Last edited by Lacius,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole LGBT thing at the moment is more business related than ever .. for the last month LGBT EVERYTHING ... its basically a marketing scheme
its not about PEOPLE its about money .... be gay/straight/zir /sis/ whatever its fine but ... a MONTH thats bullshit .... veterans should get a month of respect i was in the army 6 years ..... i think its simply madness

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the whole LGBT thing at the moment is more business related than ever .. for the last month LGBT EVERYTHING ... its basically a marketing scheme
its not about PEOPLE its about money .... be gay/straight/zir /sis/ whatever its fine but ... a MONTH thats bullshit .... veterans should get a month of respect i was in the army 6 years ..... i think its simply madness
Corporations have co-opted Pride for profit, but that doesn't detract from the need for Pride.

Edit: Also, veterans get a month, too.

Last edited by Lacius,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
^This.

For me it has lost it's meaning since some LGBT people (not all) just go to the parades to show everyone their ugly and furry coloured ball sacks.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^This.

For me it has lost it's meaning since some LGBT people (not all) just go to the parades to show everyone their ugly and furry coloured ball sacks.
Exactly that too ... or its becoming a joke ... im from London .. but have lived in USA for 7 years now ..... & they have full blown transsexuals " Flamers " reading to 3-6 year olds in the Library... Im Not ready to explain why to my sons ..does a man feel like a woman ect ect ..... and dress like one .. i dont think they should have to deal with it as a child ..lifes already confusing as a kid

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly that too ... or its becoming a joke ... im from London .. but have lived in USA for 7 years now ..... & they have full blown transsexuals " Flamers " reading to 3-6 year olds in the Library... Im Not ready to explain why to my sons ..does a man feel like a woman ect ect ..... and dress like one .. i dont think they should have to deal with it as a child ..lifes already confusing as a kid
This is the kind of LGBT erasure that keeps Pride relevant.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I don't agree with you super Dan, the sooner its explained to a child the more likely they will consider it normal, hiding it instills distrust, instills bigatory and instills exclusion.

As soon as they ask, tell but sure as hell don't hide them from the situation, I didn't hide anything from my kids, when they stumbled into a situation, I talked to them.

Last edited by yusuo,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We Live in a Backward Mentality World .. These Days PC Correct Nonsense ... its just arseholey people who just love to argue over anything and everything at all LGBT ..Bacon ... Trump Blah Blah Blahhh its just middle class grown up living at home with their parents ... just dying to be something important for the EGO !!.... wanna make a change ..do something & no not a shitty protest again .... where we all have a lovely lunch afterward and talk about it for the rest of the year ...DO Something .... Become something not a arsehole moaning about everything ....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I don't agree with you super Dan, the sooner its explained to a child the more likely they will consider it normal, hiding it instills distrust, instills bigatory and instills exclusion.

As soon as they ask, tell but sure as hell don't hide them from the situation
nah kids are too young to be exposed to it... they will encounter it sooner or later ..... its just life ,,,..

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Take it from an actual gay guy.
Pride parades are dumb.

If anything they invoke more discrimination, idiots dressing up as peacocks sucking rubber dicks all day isn't a way to say "I'm xxxxsexual".
If it wasn't for the double mars symbol tattoo'd on me chest, you likely wouldn't know I was gay.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pride parades are dumb.

If anything they invoke more discrimination, idiots dressing up as peacocks sucking rubber dicks all day isn't a way to say "I'm xxxxsexual".
If it wasn't for the double mars symbol tattoo'd on me chest, you likely wouldn't know I was gay.
Thanks dinoh, this was my thoughts, a way for an individual group of people to fit in, in my opinion isn't by shining a spotlight on it.

It's a hard one to answer really as I do get the positive side, to bring the conversation out of the closet so to speak, but it seems counter productive to the point at hand.

Reactions: Deleted User

Virtual-Wii-noob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i'm not LGBT myself but someone i know who is said that they don't do pride festivals and all that because they just want to live like all the rest of us but just love different people

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
why to my sons ..does a man feel like a woman ect ect ..... and dress like one .. i dont think they should have to deal with it as a child ..lifes already confusing as a kid

You mean why a woman might have some male secondary sex characteristics? Your kids will not give a damn unless you are the one making it weird and taboo for them. Cry me a river. They will have much bigger problems to deal with. How DARE someone doing her best to live as her true self take up something like reading to kids, am I right? Do you want all trans people to be locked up in a basement away from sight?

wanna make a change ..do something & no not a shitty protest again .... where we all have a lovely lunch afterward and talk about it for the rest of the year ...DO Something .... Become something not a arsehole moaning about everything ....

What the hell do you mean by 'do something' if not making a point to the world via a march/protest? How is that not 'doing something'?

Pride parades are dumb.

You are obviously valid for thinking the way that you do, but you should at least be aware that the vast majority of LGBT+ people do not share the same stance (myself included). I make an effort and a big scene at pride every year, and I love it. You are not necessarily better for wanting to appease the cis/straight people who are grossed out by pride (and who are subsequently the reason pride events are important.)

Last edited by Lucifer666,

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean why a woman might have some male secondary sex characteristics? Your kids will not give a damn unless you are the one making it weird and taboo for them. Cry me a river. They will have much bigger problems to deal with. How DARE someone doing her best to live as her true self take up something like reading to kids, am I right? Do you want all trans people to be locked up in a basement away from sight?

What the hell do you mean by 'do something' if not making a point to the world via a march/protest? How is that not 'doing something'?

You are obviously valid for thinking the way that you do, but you should at least be aware that the vast majority of LGBT+ people do not share the same stance (myself included). I make an effort and a big scene at pride every year, and I love it. You are not necessarily better for wanting to appease the cis/straight people who are grossed out by pride (and who are subsequently the reason pride events are important.)
Hi lucifer, you're probably can give a decent opinion in this case then, can you advise me how marching in pride, and I guess in a sense identifying who you are at a scale be productive in the fight for equality and acceptance and in turn manage the ability to fit in and be anonymous while maintaining who you are.

Last edited by yusuo,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I personally am against pride parades, homosexuality should be as normal as heterosexuality.
There shouldn't be a need for parades really.

But no, I don't want to appease anyone lol.
If people don't like me then that's their fucking problem.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Without pride and pride parades, basic LGBT identity would be challenged.
I personally disagree with that particular stance. Yes, I'm straight. But does that matter?
Parades seems baffling because they fight against their original intended purpose. Someone flaunting fairy wings, with heavy makeup, while showing a beer belly in tight clothing are not there to make a stand. They are ripe to ridicule.

My point is, why are they making a cosplay if they are not like that every day? There's carnival for that.

And also, now that we are on the subject, should someone care if other people are gay? Why do gay people need to come out of the closet? Who put them there? I find this kind of thing confusing, because straight people don't make a press note about it.

Your freedom as a gay person fades as soon as you give explanations to others (excluding mom and dad, of course). Just be. Live and go out with your partner. Or do you need to tell the world that you love someone because your genitalia match? Let the world adapt to you instead of the other way around.

That kind of social inertia needs to disappear ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work