Homebrew Can I remap 3DS buttons and keep the changes in DS mode?

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait if you want to remap ANALOGUE controls onto mario it just isn't doable. The game is hard coded to only use the D-pad. You would have to re-code large chunks of the game, and patch twl firm to even allow the ds-game to read the circle pad directly.

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just want to trick the console to think that instead of circle pad being moved the touch screen is touched. Is that possible?

NoThisIsStupider

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, the hack only runs on a PC using an emulator, so that's no solution either. I was looking all over for a hack that would just invert the dash/tiptoe behavior of the game, but it doesn't seem like such a thing has been made. I wouldn't mind the default controls, but it's awkward to be holding down dash while trying to hit other buttons.

Edit: Actually, it looks like there might have been a romhack version that would have worked on a flashcart, but the link to it in his video is long dead. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the patch file somewhere?
If you take any Super Mario 64 DS rom and open it up in SM64DSe, you can make that change in the patches menu. You can also download Skelux's controls test from his youtube channel, which also changes stuff like wall jumps on all characters, n64 style wall jumps, faster movement, and a ton of other changes that imo make the game way more fun.

Reactions: Cralex

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^This. I feel dumb because I was browsing on mobile and that make it seem like the links in Skelux's videos were broken. Browse through his videos until you find the newest one about playing Mario 64 DS with a joystick. You're looking for the "vanilla" file in the archive in the video's description, which simply adds the new controls to the original game.

If you're anything like me and you spent most of your time playing Mario 64 running, Skelux's controls feel AMAZING and intuitive on the 3DS. I know the circle pad is just mapped to the D-pad when playing on 3ds, but it feels almost as good as a true analog control.

Last edited by Cralex,

IxthusTiger

Cruddy's Buddy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^This. I feel dumb because I was browsing on mobile and that make it seem like the links in Skelux's videos were broken. Browse through his videos until you find the newest one about playing Mario 64 DS with a joystick. You're looking for the "vanilla" file in the archive in the video's description, which simply adds the new controls to the original game.

If you're anything like me and you spent most of your time playing Mario 64 running, Skelux's controls feel AMAZING and intuitive on the 3DS. I know the circle pad is just mapped to the D-pad when playing on 3ds, but it feels almost as good as a true analog control.

Cralex, can you upload this patch somewhere? I can't find a good download link

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cralex, can you upload this patch somewhere? I can't find a good download link

Yes, I should hopefully be able to upload the patch tonight or tomorrow. Unfortunately, I only have an old version. I believe up to 0.7 has been released so far, but I wasn’t aware of it and now the links are down. I will send what I have, though.

Edit: I have version 0.5 of the controls test. The patch is in xdelta format, so you will need xdelta or the xdelta GUI to apply it.
Patch: Download

It is to be applied to the USA version of the ROM, with the following checksums.
CRC32: e6321562
MD5: 82ea4525a39dc2f484a054cff3f1b834

Have fun!

Edit 2: 0.7 Appears to be available on the net again from the developer. I won't link directly to it here because I think it might include the ROM prepatched, but I plan to make a patch file for it later.
Edit 3: Here is a patch to create 0.7. As of September 2020, this is the last version that I know of. Patch to the same ROM file above.
Patch: Download

Last edited by Cralex,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the bump, but... Is there a SM64DS patch where I can swap the L and R buttons? Having the stomp button on R is just awkward. It belongs on L.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: No thanks, We all know where that thumb has been....