Gaming Can I change the HDD on my laptop

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Ok. So I heard that if you change someything from your system, you will need to re-activate Vista for that. But I need a higher HDD for my laptop as it's only 160GB. Dunno if there are 320 or more GB on laptop HDD. Anyone replaced theirs with Vista installed?

The motherboard was changed but the OS didnt asked me to re-activate it since it was replaced by Asus Philippines. Maybe, it's the same motherboard, duh. how about HDD's?

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i think it should be fine pare.

I replaced my cousins Laptop HDD b/c it crashed. Installed Vista with the Product Key printed on the sticker off the computer and it worked fine.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
qlum said:
Lee79 said:
You can change the HDD, Add or remove RAM with the OEM, it is if you Change the CPU or Motherboard you have a problem.
I could even install the backup disk of my acer on a other computer

Must of had the same motherboard as your computer?

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
qlum said:
I could even install the backup disk of my acer on a other computer

Installing is one thing, but was it actually activated, or just valid for 30 days like most non-activated Vista installs.

Many OEM installs require your bios to have a certain entry in it for it to activate.

Chris_Skylock

OP
Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
my laptop's motherboard was replaced OFFICIALLY by Asus Philippines and it was like nothing was happened when I got it back.

So replacing anything aside from CPU and motherboard is fine? Including the HDD?

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Chris_Skylock said:
my laptop's motherboard was replaced OFFICIALLY by Asus Philippines and it was like nothing was happened when I got it back.

So replacing anything aside from CPU and motherboard is fine? Including the HDD?
Yup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.