Hacking Can HD resolutions be uncapped on Wii?

Optimatum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Whoa whoa whoa, flamewarring? You guys are going way off topic considering that the original topic about uncapping the Wii's nonexistant screen res limit somehow became WII VS PS3 VS 360 VS atari2600.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Optimatum said:
Whoa whoa whoa, flamewarring? You guys are going way off topic considering that the original topic about uncapping the Wii's nonexistant screen res limit somehow became WII VS PS3 VS 360 VS atari2600.
fu, dude - intellivision ftw!

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DaMummy said:
i hope you all know that there are component cables that make the picture and colors much better for the wii than the component cables that the wii comes with
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24303
like that one, the difference is VAST

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Nov 30 2009, 12:22 AM) blah blah blah

Yeah and $100 HDMI Monster Cables give you a better picture than the $3 monoprice ones.
rolleyes.gif

Simple electronics people. A 480P signal is a 480P signal. No magic box or cables are going to change that. Anything done by the box or cables could be done by having a TV with a decent built in up converter or simply adjusting the settings on your existing TV.

I have every console ever made pretty much and enjoy them all for what they offer. I'm not a Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft fan boy. Fact is the Wii lags FAR behind the PS3 and XBOX 360 hardware wise. Does that mean the Wii isn't a good console? No, if it was I wouldn't have one.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
DaMummy said:
i hope you all know that there are component cables that make the picture and colors much better for the wii than the component cables that the wii comes with
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24303
like that one, the difference is VAST

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Nov 30 2009, 12:22 AM) blah blah blah

Yeah and $100 HDMI Monster Cables give you a better picture than the $3 monoprice ones.
rolleyes.gif

Simple electronics people. A 480P signal is a 480P signal. No magic box or cables are going to change that. Anything done by the box or cables could be done by having a TV with a decent built in up converter or simply adjusting the settings on your existing TV.

I have every console ever made pretty much and enjoy them all for what they offer. I'm not a Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft fan boy. Fact is the Wii lags FAR behind the PS3 and XBOX 360 hardware wise. Does that mean the Wii isn't a good console? No, if it was I wouldn't have one.

the Wii doesn't come with component cables. He meant to say that you can get component cables that make the picture and color better than the COMPOSITE cables that come with the Wii. Which is a fact, since you can't do 480P with composite. I really hate to bump this thread to make this post, as it's not possible to "unlock" the Wii's resolution.

palasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, i was looking forward to seeing an uninformed but fairly intelligent person ask a VERY stupid question, being mocked a little, and then seeing that the thread had been locked.

what i got instead was 4 pages of butthurt feelings, buyers remorse, fanboys, genre-bashing, and retards. i would like to congratulate 90% of the people who replied in this thread for being the worst of what GBAtemp has to offer.

The hollywood/broadway chips cannot output above 480p, it is a hardware limitation on the chip, it doesnt have the ability to be "uncapped" to make it run any different, be it "faster", or at a different resolution. the cards are incapable of speaking the 720/1080 i/p language for many reasons, including but not limited to: they cannot run at the correct frequency to create HD signals, the video encoder does not supply enough scanlines and the video would be cut very short if the wii tried to interpret it as an HD signal, the rest of the wii software, ALL games included, dont have the code necessary to set the video output to any HD resolutions BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON THE CHIP AND THEREFORE UNAVAILABLE TO IOS, and as mentioned earlier, all the games graphics and textures are created at SD resolutions to fit in the memory constraints and because higher res textures would be a waste.

Ignoring all that, think about this. USB Loaders, Disc Loaders, and even NAND Loaders all let you force different region video, force progressive scan, basically let you tell the Wii EXACTLY how to load it up and run whatever code/program. If there were different flags, bits, options, paramters, etc... they would already be seen in these loaders, as running in ntsc/pal or 480i/p is 99% the same, save for a couple of arguments when you load and execute your main.dol

can it be now?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
palasx said:
The hollywood/broadway chips cannot output above 480p, it is a hardware limitation on the chip, it doesnt have the ability to be "uncapped" to make it run any different, be it "faster", or at a different resolution. the cards are incapable of speaking the 720/1080 i/p language for many reasons, including but not limited to: they cannot run at the correct frequency to create HD signals, the video encoder does not supply enough scanlines and the video would be cut very short if the wii tried to interpret it as an HD signal ...
You seem to know a good deal about what the wii's video encoder chip is capable of. Care to share where you got this information about a piece of proprietary nintendo technology that hasn't been documented anywhere?

PsychoSk8r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OncleJulien said:
Optimatum said:
fu, dude - intellivision ftw!
I think both of you just won this thread.

Anyway, there really is no point to getting all wound up over which console is better. All of them have their strong points.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The old GC had some cleaner looking games than whats comming out for the Wii nowdays, the most we can hope is devs use its full potential on future releases.

If only we had a DC2 then we would see the best
biggrin.gif

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiisel said:
The old GC had some cleaner looking games than whats comming out for the Wii nowdays, the most we can hope is devs use its full potential on future releases.

If only we had a DC2 then we would see the best
biggrin.gif

hah..agreed...dc2 ftw

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
The Wii isn't about to be doing any sort of HD quality.
That's because Nintendo had said from the beginning that the Wii was "designed from the ground-up to be affordable family fun".
Sooo, No 1080p, no Halo-killers, no sufficient horsepower to make a decent Call of Duty (in comparison to the other consoles, at least), and not even an (official) built-in DVD player. None of this stuff was ever considered for the Wii, so they didn't bother to implement it.
Nintendo obviously didn't design the Wii console to be a direct competitor to the other 'uns. And you can look at it in two ways:

1. Nintendo is wiser and more industry-aware than we'll ever be, and we fail to see their marketing genuis,

or

2. Nintendo is dead-set on convincing us that sitting down with our families, playing Mega Waggle Carnival Fun 2 will turn us all into happy, sitcom-esque families.

Sometimes, I feel like siding with Point of View 1, but other times...

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought i read in the new issue of play magazine that nintendo was talkin bout giving wii hd, unless they were referring to a wii 2

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
zeedds said:
i thought i read in the new issue of play magazine that nintendo was talkin bout giving wii hd, unless they were referring to a wii 2
No reggie said that there is no Wii HD coming out in an interview with gametrailers. That would be the stupidest marketing strategy ever. The wii itself has the power to, but most games would probably have to be made to look like N64/PS2 games (most of them already do hahaha).

b2cool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Painguy said:
zeedds said:
No reggie said that there is no Wii HD coming out in an interview with gametrailers. That would be the stupidest marketing strategy ever. The wii itself has the power to, but most games would probably have to be made to look like N64/PS2 games (most of them already do hahaha).
Riggie could be lying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/twitch-streamer-places-24000-hit-on-youtuber-after-stellar...