ROM Hack Question Can anyone please Help with some LayeredFS stuff with Dragons Dogma?

Valdrrak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone with more expertise could help me out, The problem is I am trying to add a Dragons Dogma mod into the switch version however I am having issues extracting my dump into its folders so I can see the folder structures and such.

I have tried so many BAT files for hactools with updated keys and I just keep getting empty folders or romfs.bin files or a bunch of NCAs that I cannot decrypt as i cant find some sort of tk file to get the title key. I have a guess that it is because most of these BAT files are from a year+ ago and most of the fourms I can find about layeredFS and romFS are too old and Dragons Dogma it literally a new game so it might have something different I am not understanding.

Just for the context I have modded a bunch of the other games on switch like BotW and Skyrim and they all seems to follow the same-ish way so I just tried adding the mod the same way I would with zelda (following the PC version file structure.

Thanks for the read and hopefully the help.

OrangeRoyal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone with more expertise could help me out, The problem is I am trying to add a Dragons Dogma mod into the switch version however I am having issues extracting my dump into its folders so I can see the folder structures and such.

I have tried so many BAT files for hactools with updated keys and I just keep getting empty folders or romfs.bin files or a bunch of NCAs that I cannot decrypt as i cant find some sort of tk file to get the title key. I have a guess that it is because most of these BAT files are from a year+ ago and most of the fourms I can find about layeredFS and romFS are too old and Dragons Dogma it literally a new game so it might have something different I am not understanding.

Just for the context I have modded a bunch of the other games on switch like BotW and Skyrim and they all seems to follow the same-ish way so I just tried adding the mod the same way I would with zelda (following the PC version file structure.

Thanks for the read and hopefully the help.

Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt -t pfs0 --outdir=dir game.nsp

Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt --titlekey=titlekeyhere -t nca --romfsdir=romfs bignca.nca

Valdrrak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt -t pfs0 --outdir=dir game.nsp

Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt --titlekey=titlekeyhere -t nca --romfsdir=romfs bignca.nca

Ok thank you for that but I do not think it helps, As I said in the problem is that its an XCI and I have not been able to generate the titlekey file so I cannot put the title key in to decrypt the big NCA that comes out of it and when I do get the romfs.bin I have no idea what to do with it as I tried thing romfs viewer thing but it only works with iStorage and I have no idea what that is haha.

I did try a bunch of the older methods posted on this fourm with various peoples bat files setup and none of them worked to get the romfs folder out with the extracted game files.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I thought it wasn’t getting released until tomorrow??
today is tomorrow ;D

OrangeRoyal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thank you for that but I do not think it helps, As I said in the problem is that its an XCI and I have not been able to generate the titlekey file so I cannot put the title key in to decrypt the big NCA that comes out of it and when I do get the romfs.bin I have no idea what to do with it as I tried thing romfs viewer thing but it only works with iStorage and I have no idea what that is haha.

I did try a bunch of the older methods posted on this fourm with various peoples bat files setup and none of them worked to get the romfs folder out with the extracted game files.

today is tomorrow ;D

You didn't say it was an xci.

Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt -t xci --outdir=dir game.xci

Code:
 hactool -k keys.txt -t xci --romfsdir=romfs bignca.nca

I don't use xci so your mileage may vary. For nsp you can use lockpick to dump titlekeys. If DD was the last game you installed then it should be the first line.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

today is tomorrow ;D
XCIs don’t have title keys, the NCAs are already decrypted. Just need to extract them.

Valdrrak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait mods work for the switch version?
Yea skyrim mods are quite good, has a decent scene at the nexus as well, there are some limitations like no SKSE and you can only have so many at a time but there are a bunch of compelation mods to help that. Also BotW has a bunch of mods and a couple of other games, its done via RomFS mainly it seems. I am trying to get Dragons Dogma mods to work but when adding files to romFS it just hangs at opening so idk lol.

Intruden313

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I just extracted the nca. It appears to follow the same structure as the PC system with one small change, instead of "nativePC" it's "nativeNX". So I believe the folder structure is going to be something like

Code:
/atmosphere/titles/010032C00AC58000/romfs/nativeNX

And within that you have your 'rom' folder etc whatever else the mod installation specifies.

Edit: This is doing something because I get a fatal error "Data Abort (0x101)" when I try to launch DDDA. I've only installed a simple unlimited sprint mod.

Last edited by Intruden313,

Valdrrak

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey I just extracted the nca. It appears to follow the same structure as the PC system with one small change, instead of "nativePC" it's "nativeNX". So I believe the folder structure is going to be something like

Code:
/atmosphere/titles/010032C00AC58000/romfs/nativeNX

And within that you have your 'rom' folder etc whatever else the mod installation specifies.

Edit: This is doing something because I get a fatal error "Data Abort (0x101)" when I try to launch DDDA. I've only installed a simple unlimited sprint mod.

Yea I tried inf Sprint also as I thought textures might had been breaking it like they do with skyrim unless converted but yea still crash at boot. I think we will need to convert them somehow first idk, I did try to repack them in the arc folder that came from the romFS but it didnt do anything but I think it may be more to do with the arc converter breaking them because they are switch files.

Intruden313

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did try to repack them in the arc folder that came from the romFS but it didnt do anything but I think it may be more to do with the arc converter breaking them because they are switch files.
Yeah. I extracted the .arc of the sprint mod, which unpacked for me just fine. As did the PC vanilla files. But the switch files error out, so it seems they're different somehow. That being said, I don't know how popular DDDA on switch is that this will see any development.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like we have two threads with the same goal here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/anyone-...-to-extract-repack-dragons-dogma-arcs.536942/

I hope someone can figure something out. This is actually a surprisingly good game. I must admit I missed out on it when it first came out which I now regret. I started playing the PC version and the mods really do make it a lot more fun (plus there's some stuff that's just plain annoying that mods definitely help with.) It really sounds like someone needs to make a new tool that supports whatever compression format this is using (maybe something in the Switch SDKs?) I'm a bit worried because ARCtool is about the only thing that its maker hasn't made open source, so that probably makes it harder if anyone with the knowhow is considering doing it though.

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Nazosan can you try to use arctool with resident evil flag instead of dd? i dont have the arc files on hand to test myself.
Not a coincidence, but it produces the same error since the Resident Evil PC games don't use whatever compression the Switch port of Dragon's Dogma is using.

can you also post a bug report to kuriimu github?

something like this https://github.com/IcySon55/Kuriimu/issues/486
I'm not very familiar with this program or its bug report process. Perhaps it would be better if you did given that you're more familiar with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo