Can anyone help me with possibly repairing my SNES?

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this sort of thing, so if anyone knows of a site that might be able to help me better understand what's wrong with my SNES and any possible repairs I can make to it, I'd appreciate it.

But while I'm here, I might as well go ahead and post on here what's going on with my console, just in case maybe one of you guys knows what's up with it.

-----------
Okay, long story short, when my brother moved away, he took our SNES with him. I've been trying to find a replacement over the years, but I haven't had much luck. I did find someone on Craigslist (my first mistake...) selling one, and... for the most part, it works. However, it has one issue that, depending on the game, can be either minor or a huge bother.

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h33m37s222_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tgy.png

(I'm going to refer to this SNES with its line-y graphics as "SNES 1")

As you can see, there are these annoying vertical lines on most of the background graphics. Strangely, it's more like those lines are just missing their graphics, since you can often see through them. Other times, some games (like Link to the Past), the lines are just solid white (making the Lost Woods look like tinsel town). Otherwise, the games seem to work just fine... it's more or less just a graphics problem.

I decided to try and look for another SNES. Eventually, I tracked one down, and... as my luck would have it, it's suffering from its own issues, too... issues that the seller seems to think are somehow my fault and refuses to give me a refund.

This time around (SNES 2), the graphics don't have any lines. Instead...

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h34m22s811_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tgu.png

Look at the Spiked ball. Notice something missing? For some reason, the spiked rod (whatever it's called) is missing a section. Strangely enough, it's not that the graphics aren't rendering... it's simply not there at all! I can even pass through that blank spot with Yoshi, and he won't get harmed.

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h34m31s345_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tgo.png

Instead, that missing section is floating to the north-west of it, spinning around in the same pattern as it should be in the normal spot. Strangely enough, the hitbox is completely in-tact, so if it touches me, I will take damage. What's also odd is that, while not related to the spikes, if I let Baby Mario float around and the timer reaches zero, the toadies will fly in to take him away, and... nothing will happen. As soon as they touch Baby Mario, they vaporize, and Baby Mario will just float in place outside of his bubble until I go up and touch him... to which he'll return to Yoshi, and the Toadies will fly back on-screen for a brief second before flying off.

Oh, it gets better!

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h36m36s271_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tgj.png

In case you can't recognize it, this is the final stage of the game. There are supposed to be four doors here... but for some reason, they're missing. Again, it's not that the graphics aren't rendering... they're simply not there at all! Shooting an egg around where they're normally supposed to be does nothing, either. It's a dead end, making the game unwinnable. Keep in mind this doesn't happen on SNES 1, just SNES 2.

At least Yoshi's Island is somewhat functionable. Other games, on the other hand...

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h37m50s184_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tg5.png

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h38m13s438_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tfz.png

Bonkers is completely messed up. Also, when starting a new game and spawning in a stage, all the collision is completely borked, and you'll instantly fall through the floor and die. So... I can't even play this one, whatsoever.

vlcsnap_2017_10_01_22h40m04s769_by_freezingicekirby-dbp7tfr.png

One final example; Super Castlevania 4 can play, but some of the graphics (mostly the stuff that rotates) are completely messed up. At least the hitbox is still there...

The problem is, I'm just not sure where to go to research issues like this. I have seen a few topics after google-searching "SNES Glitched graphics", and some folks say it's possibly the PPU chip dying or something. Everyone recommends that, if you're encountering issues like this, just go out and buy a new SNES... but I've wasted enough money doing that at this point, so I thought I'd try to go a more drastic route.

Basically, I just wanted to know if these issues, the vertical line glitches of the SNES 1 and the malfunctions of the SNES 2, are being caused by the same thing? Do both consoles have a faulty PPU Chip (or whatever it's called), or is it possible that, maybe, I can use parts from one SNES and interchange them with another, and possibly fix these errors in the process?

I know, I know, that's waaaaay easier said than done... and in inexperienced hands, that could go extremely wrong extremely fast. But I have soldered things before (though it was just a simple capacitor in a computer monitor), and even if I do end up breaking the system, it's not like I'm out by that much since I've already wasted money of what might as well be dumpster fillers at this point, anyway. Besides, I like dabbling with these kinds of things, so I'm a bit eager to try it.

If anyone can give me some hints regarding what's going on with these two consoles, or perhaps you can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, before anyone suggests it; yes, I've cleaned both consoles and all my games very thoroughly. It didn't help one bit, sadly.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
When you say cleaned, did you clean the actual contacts on the pins for the cart slot? they might also be loose? another possibility is that the PPU (the graphics chips) are kaput, or there may be some traces that are broken in some way, look for any corrosion from caps that may have leaked.

you could get a new ppu and put that in there but requires soldering, failing that maybe the power supply is broken and supplying too much voltage, which could cause the ppu to have broken in the 1st place

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did try to clean the cart slots on both consoles as best as I could, using a combination of alcohol, a brush, and even the credit card/cloth solution that was recommended on some sites. Unfortunately, it didn't help one bit. As far as I can tell, all the pins are just fine... in fact, after taking the two systems apart and trading the cart slot with the other, the two consoles still manage to suffer from the exact same problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is that these glitches and issues aren't odd occurrences that'll only happen once or twice. I put in Yoshi's Island, it does the stuff I showed off in the screenshots above, I clean both the cartridge and cart slot real thoroughly, and the exact same things happen again. It's not the cartridges either, as on the SNES 1, the games work just fine, albeit with those vertical lines.

All the traces seem like they're all okay... but to be honest, I could be looking directly at the problem and just not know it. I'll give it another go over again here soon and see if I can spot any issues. If it really is the PPU (either one of them), then I get the feeling I might be sunk, since I hear those are a nightmare to remove.

I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment, but I'll come back in a while with some pictures of both consoles... maybe one of you guys can spot if anything's wrong with them or if there's something I'm not not seeing.

(I appreciate the replies so far, btw. Thanks!)

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I did try to clean the cart slots on both consoles as best as I could, using a combination of alcohol, a brush, and even the credit card/cloth solution that was recommended on some sites. Unfortunately, it didn't help one bit. As far as I can tell, all the pins are just fine... in fact, after taking the two systems apart and trading the cart slot with the other, the two consoles still manage to suffer from the exact same problem.

One thing I forgot to mention is that these glitches and issues aren't odd occurrences that'll only happen once or twice. I put in Yoshi's Island, it does the stuff I showed off in the screenshots above, I clean both the cartridge and cart slot real thoroughly, and the exact same things happen again. It's not the cartridges either, as on the SNES 1, the games work just fine, albeit with those vertical lines.

All the traces seem like they're all okay... but to be honest, I could be looking directly at the problem and just not know it. I'll give it another go over again here soon and see if I can spot any issues. If it really is the PPU (either one of them), then I get the feeling I might be sunk, since I hear those are a nightmare to remove.

I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment, but I'll come back in a while with some pictures of both consoles... maybe one of you guys can spot if anything's wrong with them or if there's something I'm not not seeing.

(I appreciate the replies so far, btw. Thanks!)
Are you 100% sure it's not a problem with the cartridge? (TBH it sounds a bit like maybe the RAM (or the PPU) is kaput)

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you 100% sure it's not a problem with the cartridge? (TBH it sounds a bit like maybe the RAM (or the PPU) is kaput)
I'm positive it's not the cartridges. Yoshi's Island and Bonkers both have game-breaking glitches on the SNES 2, but on the first SNES they function exactly as they should, albeit with those vertical lines on the graphics (which show up on all my games, not just those two).

I think you're right though, it's probably one of those two things you mentioned. They probably do need replaced or something, but... after checking out some videos and whatnot regarding how to remove and replace them, I have to admit it might be way over my head after all. Chances are, if I go attempting to remove the PPU, I'm just going to damage both the motherboard and chip beyond repair.

Then again, I don't even know if it's the PPU-1 or PPU-2 chip that's causing the issues, and I may end up removing the wrong one, so... maybe it'd be best if I just kept my eye out for a third SNES and test it out thoroughly before I buy it to make sure it works this time. If anything, I might be able to sell these two broken SNES consoles for parts or something.

(Oh, and I should mention I did look over both console's boards thoroughly to make sure there was no corrosion or anything. From what I could tell, it looks pretty much spotless, outside of some junk here and there I cleaned off. Unfortunately, it still didn't make a bit of a difference, so... yeah, probably one of the chips on it's been fried or something, I'm willing to bet.)

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
not sure where you live, or where this guy lives, but https://www.game-tech.us/ this guy does huuuuuuundred of mods for consoles, maybe throw him an email he seems like a sound guy from his youtube channel, hes all about mods mostly and fixing consoles and doing them correctly, may cost you some cash but see what he says if you drop him an email, its the best solution i can think of by going to someone who will know more about things like this, it could be a simple thing like some caps need replacing.

Reactions: FreezingIceKirby

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure where you live, or where this guy lives, but https://www.game-tech.us/ this guy does huuuuuuundred of mods for consoles, maybe throw him an email he seems like a sound guy from his youtube channel, hes all about mods mostly and fixing consoles and doing them correctly, may cost you some cash but see what he says if you drop him an email, its the best solution i can think of by going to someone who will know more about things like this, it could be a simple thing like some caps need replacing.
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it seems like that option might be out of the question, since the repair portion of his website says he's (currently) no longer doing mods or repairs because he wants to focus on website sales and his Youtube video productions. My bad luck with these consoles continues, it seems! lol

Still, I might as well go ahead and send him an email anyway... who knows, he might be able to give me some pointers or send me to someone else who could make some repairs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you have a Game X Change where you live or near by? If so, I'm 99% sure they sell used all retro system for $50. At least the one I go to does. Might be worth looking into though.
I do, actually... admittedly, it's one of my favorite places to go when looking for used games. I have called them to see if they have any SNES consoles... Good news is, they have two! The bad news, they're both $75... a little out of my price range at the moment. Meh, maybe I can find some games I don't play anymore or something so I can do a trade-in deal and lower the price. It's an option I'm keeping in the back of my head for now.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Are you guys sure it's the ppu? The ppu only takes care of the screen graphics but not collision nor game mechanics which the OP had problems with. Try looking around the RAM chips, maybe the problem is there.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it seems like that option might be out of the question, since the repair portion of his website says he's (currently) no longer doing mods or repairs because he wants to focus on website sales and his Youtube video productions. My bad luck with these consoles continues, it seems! lol

Still, I might as well go ahead and send him an email anyway... who knows, he might be able to give me some pointers or send me to someone else who could make some repairs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I do, actually... admittedly, it's one of my favorite places to go when looking for used games. I have called them to see if they have any SNES consoles... Good news is, they have two! The bad news, they're both $75... a little out of my price range at the moment. Meh, maybe I can find some games I don't play anymore or something so I can do a trade-in deal and lower the price. It's an option I'm keeping in the back of my head for now.
Damn, that sucks. Well at least there's that option. Hope you find or fix you SNES, it's my favorite retro console. :)

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, that sucks. Well at least there's that option. Hope you find or fix you SNES, it's my favorite retro console. :)
I do have a bit of good news about that; I finally remembered another used game store I visit every now and then (a place called "Dave's Video"), and they currently have one for $50! It's a bit far away from where we live, so I'll probably head up there Saturday and check it out. It seems like my best bet so far... but I'm going to check out their return policies first (maybe even see if they can hook it up first and confirm it works), that way I don't get stuck losing more money on a THIRD broken console.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

FreezingIceKirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post one final update to this topic.

Unfortunately, I never was able to do anything with those two broken SNES systems, and I wasn't confident enough to try and take them apart with a soldering gun or anything... so, I think what I'm going to do is throw the pieces on Craigslist and see if I can just sell them for parts. I'm sure there's someone around where I live that likes tinkering with these sorts of things, so maybe they can get some use out of them.

I was fortunate enough, however, to head up to Dave's Video today and check out that console they had for $50. I even asked them if I could try it out before I purchased it, and they were completely okay with that... and hey, the console works perfectly! None of the errors or glitches I talked about above were present in any of my games, and the thing works (and pretty much looks) as if it were new. The best part is, I was even able to trade off some games I never plan on playing ever again, and I managed to lower the price down to $27!

At last, I have a working SNES! (And four controllers, three power adapters, and about six video cords to connect it to the TV now. lol)

2017_10_05_18_16_14_by_freezingicekirby-dbpmb8t.jpg

By the way, thanks to all of you folks that tried to help or even gave me some input on my SNES dilemma. I appreciate it!

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

mummysboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Shame you never ironed out the defective snes problems.

Glad you have a solution though.

I have to admit the N64 is my passion and I am forever collecting "spare" consoles just in case.

I'm hoping Nintendo release a n64 classic - it might just sort out the N64 cart scene and stop the stupid prices.....

Reactions: spotanjo3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...