Can an unpatched hacked switch still be banned?

buwannn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So.. I'm planning to hack my switch. I've been doing some research and I got all the parts. My switch isn't patched and I have all the resources I need. I am however, still worried about my console getting banned, especially since I still use this to play with my family and friends. Can unpatched hacked switches still be detected and banned by Nintendo? And if so, how do I avoid it? This might seem like an incredibly stupid question, but I'm still pretty new to this and I really can't find an answer for this elsewhere.

belliq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I do for myself is I have two SD cards. One for regular Non-CFW use, the other for CFW/EmuMMC use.
This is also what I do, one SD card from before I hacked it that has all of my screenshots and games that I don't use CFW on and one SD card that has CFW, and whenever I'm done what I'm working on (dumping Splat3 data, ACNH hacking etc.) I immediately swap back to my normal one. Pretty much removes the potential of human error which is what most people get banned for.

Imo the easiest way to not get banned is just... don't use RAM cheats in competitive games (Splat3, MK8DX, Smash, Mario Party, Pokemon battles), don't pirate, and don't use emuNAND. Things like model swapping and save dumping are safe* to do in sysNAND even online, and because Ryujinx can play nearly everything at this point often with better performance than the Switch unless your PC is a clunker there's no reason to take the ban risk by playing pirated games on Switch hardware.

* "safe" meaning that there's no record of anyone being banned for that action, rules could change at any time but there's years of precedent of it being fine

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is also what I do, one SD card from before I hacked it that has all of my screenshots and games that I don't use CFW on and one SD card that has CFW, and whenever I'm done what I'm working on (dumping Splat3 data, ACNH hacking etc.) I immediately swap back to my normal one. Pretty much removes the potential of human error which is what most people get banned for.

Imo the easiest way to not get banned is just... don't use RAM cheats in competitive games (Splat3, MK8DX, Smash, Mario Party, Pokemon battles), don't pirate, and don't use emuNAND. Things like model swapping and save dumping are safe* to do in sysNAND even online, and because Ryujinx can play nearly everything at this point often with better performance than the Switch unless your PC is a clunker there's no reason to take the ban risk by playing pirated games on Switch hardware.

* "safe" meaning that there's no record of anyone being banned for that action, rules could change at any time but there's years of precedent of it being fine

EmuNAND is safe online. I ran EmuNAND online for years. And I'm not the only one. It was a clean EmuNAND. Infact, I copied that EmuNAND to SysNAND about 6 months ago and am online daily. Still no ban. No theft, no cheats, no ban.

There are actually several factors. Ninty keeps records of your logs. If there are unexpected changes then you may get banned. Sys version changes maybe okay. Carts have updates. An eshop only game with no matching purchase record, ban. Piracy,ban. Cheats,ban. Theming my OS, not banned. They care about money. Cheating costs them money. Piracy costs them money. Not your Hentai Theme.

A quick search will show the man himself SiresM talking about it.

Of course this is just up-to-date as of today and could change tomorrow. Use at your own risk and ask your parents permission.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW in sysnand isn’t problem as long as you use save manager, save editor, cheat and translation patch offline with airplane mode enabled and auto connect disabled. There are people reported that they don’t have issue with run the CFW online, but it is big risk.

Emunand is necessary if you want to play backup games and run the online.

belliq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EmuNAND is safe online. I ran EmuNAND online for years. And I'm not the only one.
You're not able to run both sysNAND and emuNAND online on the same Switch though, right? In that case it doesn't really matter which you pick if you're running CFW online anyway, the ban risk comes from online CFW rather than which partition you're running it from. To me it makes more sense to just never touch the emuNAND to remove the risk of accidentally having both go online, I've heard performance is also a bit worse on emu. If I want to play like a normal person I can just turn the Switch on like a normal person and use OFW, if I want to use a mod I swap my SD, use the jig, and boot into sysnand CFW and never anything else. That's not practical if you're using CFW a lot due to SD slot wear and tear but if you're only using it rarely to grab data or modify a save it works fine.

CFW in sysnand isn’t problem as long as you use save manager, save editor, cheat and translation patch offline with airplane mode enabled and auto connect disabled. There are people reported that they don’t have issue with run the CFW online, but it is big risk.

Emunand is necessary if you want to play backup games and run the online.
I don't see why it's more risky to run specific CFW features online than any other change to the system if there's no precedent of others being banned for whatever you're planning on doing. Luna for ACNH has been public for a year with no bans and it requires you connect to Nintendo's servers using CFW, model swapping in certain games while online has also been ignored since at least late 2021. What's important when going online with it is only enabling exactly what you need for whatever task you're doing to reduce the chance of human error and telemetry finding something it doesn't like, and researching ban histories and paying attention to what others have done so you're not doing anything new. Shiverbot caused a load of bans because the public didn't wait at least a few months after release to see if the first few that tried it would get hit in a later wave.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why it's more risky to run specific CFW features online than any other change to the system if there's no precedent of others being banned for whatever you're planning on doing. Luna for ACNH has been public for a year with no bans and it requires you connect to Nintendo's servers using CFW, model swapping in certain games while online has also been ignored since at least late 2021. What's important when going online with it is only enabling exactly what you need for whatever task you're doing to reduce the chance of human error and telemetry finding something it doesn't like, and researching ban histories and paying attention to what others have done so you're not doing anything new. Shiverbot caused a load of bans because the public didn't wait at least a few months after release to see if the first few that tried it would get hit in a later wave.
The biggest keyword is risk and when run the CFW on sysnand online is more riskier than run CFW on sysnand offline, and there were some people got ban, even it was thought to be safe. Atmosphere has protection against the ban by send error codes to SD instead of NAND but... that isn't 100% foolproof and there were some members got banned for various reasons, such as program crash, cheating and save edits in certain games (Splatoon, Smash Bros and Pokémon) and others that lead to producing the error code. One member's Switch got banned after edited the ACNH map but it was very unusual and it is not known about how Nintendo found out and flagged their Switch.

I minimized the ban risk to minimum by not allow online when I run CFW with sysnand on my Switch and it has been 5 years with no ban, but I only have one in game ban is Super Smash Bros Ultimate in January 2019 because of edited save that is unexpected and unfortunate. That is my decision about whichever is allowed or not allowed, and you have own decision to run on your Switch.

There is absolutely no safe but y'all can reduce the ban risk to minimum as possible, also I know about risk to run the CFW.

It is apparently that ban seems decline very much after Atmosphere adopted the feature to send error codes to SD instead of NAND that is enabled by default, and more members are familiar about risk to run the backup games and they have to take the procedure to avoid the ban by set the EmuNand and hide Switch's information from Nintendo server before they run the backup games with sigpatches.

I don't run the backup games on my Switch at all but it is possible that I would consider eventually when Switch is at end of lifespan as Nintendo focuses on next-gen console.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

Eh, I use a emummc with the DNS set to block nintendo's servers; only things that happen in pirated games is that Portal 2 crashes if airplane mode is off, and G0LLY can't receive or send a card to/from the web sadly... At least I just get to use my own overpowered one.
Post automatically merged:

Get ready to replace your SD reader
what

skylabhalo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The SD card reader is very poor quality. It doesn't matter if it's the lite or the oled or the original one. With time switching sd cards around the spring mechanism will break and you'll be unable to use an SD card again. Happened to me. You'll need to replace the SD card reader (which is easy) I'd suggest getting a big SD card instead

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5