Hacking Can a digi cam be used as a SD card reader?

charchar123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well I'm going to get my M3 in the mail soon and I dont have my SD card reader and the 2gb SD card bought yet. I was wondering if I can use my digi cam as a card reader to drop files in there for my M3?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends if you can access the SD card as a removable drive, if you can then its fine, but a seperate card reader is more conveniant.

Xcist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes you can. I use it with my Nikon Coolpix S6.
smile.gif

Like seja said, in your camera, try to look for a setting to change connect mode from CAMERA to REMOVABLE DRIVE. Once it's on Removable Drive, you'll have no problem.
smile.gif

ijustchillin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would suggest that you only use your camera as a temporary card reader until you get a real SD card reader. I don't like the idea of using a $300+ camera as a card reader, but that's just me.

dirtyweasel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can plug the camera to the PC, yes u can (for cannon)
Not all, it depends on the camera. My Canon doesn't show the camera as a removable drive. I can transfer pictures to the computer, but it doesn't allow me to transfer anything to the camera.

Most cameras from the past few years do allow you to read and write to the media.

charchar123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It works but it drains the battery out of your camera. One time I left my camera on and the battery was depleted. The transfering speeds are really slow too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P