Bypass rosalina menu locks & restrictions

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would not go that far. Anyone who bricks or destroys systems even for seemingly legitimate reasons is an asshole.
I actually did brick my systems for science. I helped find a few bugs in older builds of many of the CFWs. A few either bricked my systems or could have caused a brick. Either way, there’s legit reasons that did legitimately help. That being said, obviously Brickwait wasn’t bricking for science, they were just assholes.
As for the thread, @Ondrashek06 you aren’t going to convince anyone that enabling Rosalina during online segments is a good idea. There’s literally no reason to enable it that isn’t just cheating.

Last edited by The Catboy,

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
I repeat: I have deep respect for homebrew developers and that obviously includes you! That doesn't change the fact, that I will decide against installing/running DRM-infected software (for whatever positive, understandable, justified... reasons DRM is used) on my machines.
I can do pretty good without software containing DRM (and since I stopped acquiring such I feel much better). If the majority can enjoy things with DRM (or because the DRM is actually good for the game or whatever) this is fine for me as well.
There's no penalty to play CTGP-7 offline, the "DRM" is strictly for online and solely to prevent cheating of any kind. If you were to play online and everyone else in your lobby is cheating, wouldn't you question the existance of this online mode? That's why these restrictions are applied, to ensure you cannot cheat, even by the simplest mean, that is opening the Rosalina menu, as Pablo explained.

For the false locking of the menu outside of online mode / MKChannel, that is a bug and shall be fixed eventually, but don't put this up as "omg PabloMK7 is a dictator, he disabled my menu!"
As i'm reading from other threads of yours, I'm not sure if Ondrashek06 is trolling at this point.

This is imposing unnecessary DRM. Homebrew was meant to relieve whatever shitty DRM Nintendo implemented. That doesn't mean others can implement their own DRM and defeat the purpose of homebrew...
This is not the only "purpose" of Homebrew, in fact, it's not even a thing it does, except removing the region lock. Homebrew is not for piracy and cheating either, it's merely a side-effect of allowing unauthorized code to run and such developers creating solutions for these subjects. Homebrew literally is that: allowing anyone to run any code on the system.

As Pablo suggested, just get rid of the mod and stop whining about it; what you're trying to shove Pablo in his butt is entirely against the integrity of the mod in the online modes. I legit only play Mario Kart 7 through CTGP-7 as I can be sure that I cannot cheat and the mod's anti-cheat working even better than Nintendo's garbage security, which even feels non-existant thanks to the advanced cheats hackers use nowadays.

Oh: If you really care that something has a DRM of a kind and immediately refuse to use it, then you pretty much cannot play anything nowadays. I wish you good luck with that philosophy, seeing how Denuvo, for example, just launched on Switch. ofc terrible example, but you still get what I mean: DRM is everywhere, even in unsuspecting minor things.

Reactions: The Catboy

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last time replying into this thread. I should have known better and stayed silent. Mentioned "moot" discussion right at the beginning.
That's why these restrictions are applied, to ensure you cannot cheat, even by the simplest mean, that is opening the Rosalina menu, as Pablo explained.
I did understand this and still come to the conclusion that I don't like it and therefore will stay away from CTGP-7. You know, I'm not too stupid to understand WHY this has been put in place. It has been repeated now for the 5th or 6th time or so.
If the majority is happy with this, and sees Rosalina "literally only for cheating" (I haven't used Rosalina for cheating once in any context and open the menu on daily basis multiple times), they shall continue as before… but please accept deviating opinions and don't treat anybody not agreeing as some kind of moron. Negative feedback and different considerations must be allowed.
There's no penalty to play CTGP-7 offline
I already said this in my first post in this thread: I don't care for "Does not affect offline experience." and don't install software which has terms of use I don't like. Simple as that. I don't need to justify my decision, even if people call me stupid for this.

Oh: If you really care that something has a DRM of a kind and immediately refuse to use it, then you pretty much cannot play anything nowadays. I wish you good luck with that philosophy, seeing how Denuvo, for example, just launched on Switch. ofc terrible example, but you still get what I mean: DRM is everywhere, even in unsuspecting minor things.
Oh: I pretty much stay away from everything available at the moment… guess why. Enough games for life: Payed but with fully cracked DRM (if any).
I'm pretty satisfied with that philosophy, really simplifies things and helps saving money (stopped buying DRM infected stuff years ago). Thanks for the concern.

The purpose of homebrew is to allow people to make 3DS software without being an official Nintendo developer. […]
This is one purpose of homebrew/CFW. There are more though.

Reactions: Ondrashek06

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
but please accept deviating opinions and don't treat anybody not agreeing as some kind of moron. Negative feedback and different considerations must be allowed.
I only think your standpoint is questionable, I don't want to call you a moron, just because you don't share aspects with me.
I don't care for "Does not affect offline experience." and don't install software which has terms of use I don't like. Simple as that.
But i thought you are primarily gaming offline, so the restrictions applied to online are not relevant to you? I simply don't get that standpoint. Also, what "Terms of Service" are there for CTGP-7 except the CTWW rules which boils down to "if you play online, behave properly, don't cheat and don't troll outside of Countdown". If you're offline, you don't need to update either, so that "DRM" doesn't apply well or at all. Again, how is that a DRM, if it's strictly when playing online and you want to be up-to-date?
Oh: I pretty much stay away from everything available at the moment… guess why. Enough games for life: Payed but with fully cracked DRM (if any).
I'm pretty satisfied with that philosophy, really simplifies things and helps saving money (stopped buying DRM infected stuff years ago). Thanks for the concern.
That's morally questionable at best, seeing as you refuse to pay the developers of these games the proper amount they might deserve, or anything at all, but fine, I guess.
Well... no. Homebrew is a basis for anything that is not made/licensed by Nintendo. Not to mention the 3DS itself has no real DRM at all, except maybe the region lock-out and pre-purchased titles (even if the timer isn't used much at all, I only had that happen with a japanese DLC but nothing else)

Also, whether something is a purpose of Homebrew or not, depends on your mindset. For me, homebrew is to solely allow game modifications and for me to be able to code my own homebrew, I don't support piracy or anything that would hurt game developers, so I stay away from related homebrew applications, as I believe it's unethical, besides the legal trouble that might occur from doing so.

Last edited by CyberYoshi64,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually did brick my systems for science. I helped find a few bugs in older builds of many of the CFWs. A few either bricked my systems or could have caused a brick. Either way, there’s legit reasons that did legitimately help. That being said, obviously Brickwait wasn’t bricking for science, they were just assholes.
As for the thread, @Ondrashek06 you aren’t going to convince anyone that enabling Rosalina during online segments is a good idea. There’s literally no reason to enable it that isn’t just cheating.
Yeah, the wording was not very good. I of course didn't mean unintentional bricks or destruction. Shit happens when testing software.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, the wording was not very good. I of course didn't mean unintentional bricks or destruction. Shit happens when testing software.
Yeah, I realized that after the fact and that’s why I added the note about Brickwait. Bricking for science is always an important process, as it’s the root to understanding how to fix said brick. Plus, I do enjoy the process of trying to find the stupidest ways of breaking my systems to then have that be corrected in future updates. The community might not realize just how many absurdly crazy methods that I had found to cause crashes, bricks, softlocks, and so on.

Reactions: CyberYoshi64

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the broadest sense, "creating software" covers pretty much everything you would want to use CFW for. If you want to back up your catridges, you need software for that (GM9) that Nintendo won't allow official developers to create. If you want to install cartridge backups to your SD card, you need software for that (FBI). If you want to bypass the cartridge region lockout, you need software (Luma and all its various parts). Homebrew games are only one type of software that you can create with CFW, but everything else is also software.

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
Ohh, there is. The rosalina menu ONLY runs in restricted mode when offline. In online mode it's just disabled completely.
Well, the only thing disabled offline is the "Cheats" and "Debugger" sections, but it's to be expected, since I doubt Pablo would be glad that people can get a dump of the decrypted plugin and work around to hack with it.
Why are you so keen on cheats, if you could just cheat through vanilla MK7, where CTGP-7 can't even restrict Rosalina, even if cheating online in general is morally reprehensible? I don't mind if you cheat your save data to be filled (even if CTGP-7 unlocks all the characters and karts, as well as the cups by default).

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well, the only thing disabled offline is the "Cheats" and "Debugger" sections, but it's to be expected, since I doubt Pablo would be glad that people can get a dump of the decrypted plugin and work around to hack with it.
Why are you so keen on cheats, if you could just cheat through vanilla MK7, where CTGP-7 can't even restrict Rosalina, even if cheating online in general is morally reprehensible? I don't mind if you cheat your save data to be filled (even if CTGP-7 unlocks all the characters and karts, as well as the cups by default).
Stop assuming that I want to cheat. Rosalina is useful for stuff such as screenshotting. Regarding cheats, CTGP-7 is already a guarded castle where it's literally impossible to cheat.

And memory editing can do fun stuff, such as instantly crash your 3DS.

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
Stop assuming that I want to cheat. Rosalina is useful for stuff such as screenshotting.
But why do you complain about this, if it's not blocked offline. If it was locked out, as Pablo said, it's a bug and will be fixed. Thing is, with the features (that are intended to be) locked offline, are solely to cheat or to somehow get access to the decrypted plugin data.
And memory editing can do fun stuff, such as instantly crash your 3DS.
And? Why do you need to do this in CTGP-7 specifically? As I mentioned, it can be used to cheat, but the memory editor specifically would easily allow you to view the plugin data, spoof the version or dump it to make a cheat version out of it.
I'm feeling like you don't want to listen properly, so how about you do us a favor, uninstall CTGP-7 and stop shouting about it. Sometimes you just need to be restricted in some ways, to ensure everything happening is legit.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
But why do you complain about this, if it's not blocked offline. If it was locked out, as Pablo said, it's a bug and will be fixed. Thing is, with the features (that are intended to be) locked offline, are solely to cheat or to somehow get access to the decrypted plugin data.

And? Why do you need to do this in CTGP-7 specifically? As I mentioned, it can be used to cheat, but the memory editor specifically would easily allow you to view the plugin data, spoof the version or dump it to make a cheat version out of it.
I'm feeling like you don't want to listen properly, so how about you do us a favor, uninstall CTGP-7 and stop shouting about it. Sometimes you just need to be restricted in some ways, to ensure everything happening is legit.
I DO WANT to spoof the version since it won't allow me to connect to even Nintendo servers without the latest version. Nintendo doesn't give a shit about CTGP-7's version, it just cares about if it's Rev0 or Rev1.

• Wow
Reactions: CyberYoshi64

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
I DO WANT to spoof the version since it won't allow me to connect to even Nintendo servers without the latest version. Nintendo doesn't give a shit about CTGP-7's version, it just cares about if it's Rev0 or Rev1.
What do you expect? Sure, Nintendo servers only care you have Rev1, but CTGP-7 used to have some compatibility-breaking bugs, giving you unfair advantage in some way, such as one time, you could spoof a CC into regular WW or the commonly known Shock bug, where sometimes CTGP-7 players just don't get shocked.
Online mode is put behind another version check to ensure CTGP-7 isn't responsible for such accidental bugs allowing people to cheat.
Rosalina getting disabled for online as it was abused in battle mode, is another case that Pablo mentioned. It's major and should not be abused anymore, thus we block out older versions.

I mean, if you really just want to play online and you don't want to update CTGP-7, uninstall it and just play online through vanilla MK7. How hard is this for you to comprehend?

CyberYoshi64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cyberyoshi64.github.io
XP
Country
Germany
You cannot spoof Nintendo's version check from by using cheats or the debugger. The check is built into the "friends" system module, not the game. If you want to go online just download the 1.1 patch from the eshop lmao.
While you're right, he didn't mean that. He meant CTGP-7's version check that's on top of the base game version check.
It cannot be spoofed, as the plugin is encrypted and the memory editor/cheats are disabled.
TL;DR just use the base game, just don't run CTGP-7 if you just want to play online.

Last edited by CyberYoshi64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments +1