Hacking Buying a new PS3 - Which ones are the best in terms of CFW

Nifs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Going out later tonight to buy myself a new PS3, mainly for the purpose of homebrew/cfw.

What I am trying to figure out is if there's any difference in terms of the 320GB hacking capabaility opposed to the other xGB?
Also - Do I need an old FAT model to utilize the CFW most efficiently or is a SLIM just as good?
I've ready that the 320GB comes with OFW 3.41, can anyone confirm this?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you get a new Slim PS3, chances are it will have OFW 3.56 or above. If you get a Fat PS3, firstly it won't be new, secondly it will most likely have a FW lower than 3.55. That is if the previous owner doesn't just connect it online purely for the purpose of making it up-to-date.

In terms of how a PS3 "utilizes" CFW, there's absolutely no difference between the Fat and Slim models. The hardware didn't change much - they just took out the emotion chip, reduced the NAND size, gave the CPU/GPU a die shrink (uses less power, produces less heat) and stuck a bigger HDD in. Oh, and the Slim PS3 doesn't have the memory card reader at the front. Either way, the software for both has always been the same.

The size of the HDD is not a great indication of the FW it has - the manufacture date is what's important. PS3s with 3.56 have been seen for a while now, so I would imagine that by now all the old stock would have been sold and they'll only have the new stock (with 3.56 or even 3.60) to sell.

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one off Amazon a month ago and it still had 3.40 so you should be good buying a new one-anyways I dont think they put 3.56 or 3.60 on any new ones

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ok, then an addendum to my post: new PS3s in retail stores (like GameStation and PCWorld) will most likely have 3.56 or above. I can't speak for online stores because they're almost universally just warehouses with marketplace accounts. The point is that reports of PS3s with 3.56 started turning up a while ago and, by now, all older stock should have been sold on.

Basically if you're buying new, the odds are you'll end up with a PS3 with 3.56 or above.

jmr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i bought a 320GB/little big planet version about 2 months ago & it had 3.41 on it (uk)

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.55 or lower is most common on ps3 sold in stores. buy it at a store thats got a return policy, if its got 3.56 or higher return it, say it was a gift and the person already got one and you didn't know about it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's the CECH-version number on the box.

You can check the corresponding version on wiki :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware

But it doesn't reflect the installed firmware version.
The best you can do is buy a pack known to be manufactured before the new firmware release (Like PSMove 320GB pack, with 3.40).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-