• Total voters

RiardasMikelioni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody,
I'm a fellow gamer, and I never had a home console system. I have a GBA and a NDSL, majority of my games I play on my PC. For a while I was thinking of buying wii, and this time seems neither right nor wrong. Main thing why I should buy it is that I love Nintendo, and wii is crazily cheap now. So what should I do? Could you tell me why is it worth on not buying this amazing system now?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you plan on using it to play Wii/Gamecube backups, sure. If you don't care for the Gamecube or don't want to play backups at all, you might as well get the Wii U. ;)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Make sure you get the original model.
NOT the new toploader one.

There's no wifi and component output on that one and cannot be softmodded.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii's got a lot of quality titles worth playing. If you haven't a gamecube either, then I can't think of a reason not to get a Wii. Between the two libraries there are a lot of games worth playing that you won't get on any other system. Just gotta get it at the right price and make sure you get an older model that does gamecube games.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I understand I can softmod and play Gc games on any wii except that piece of plastic wii mini?

Actually there is a newer wii (not the mini) that doesn't have the gc controller ports that was never intended to play GC games. You may be able to run devolution or Dios Mios from it (i'm not sure, haven't followed that model's scene), but as far as I know there is no way to play the games without actual gamecube controllers. To avoid this model of the Wii make sure the version you buy does not picture the Wii on the box as laying flat on its side. You want the old version that comes with a stand and on the box is pictured as such.

Anyways, yes its worth it so long as you are going to mod it to take full advantage of what the system can offer.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
As I understand I can softmod and play Gc games on any wii except that piece of plastic wii mini?
Not quite, there's also the Family Edition which (currently) can't play GameCube games. At some future date you might be able to use Devolution to play them, but for now there's simply no way to control the games once you run them. The most obvious way to ID a Family Edition is that the printing on the console is oriented for reading with the Wii in a horizontal position. The original model's text is printed to match a vertically-standing Wii.

EDIT: What he said.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd say forget about GC compatibility.
If you completely skipped a Wii this generation, you'll have shitload of Wii games to play with !
I played a lot since day 1, and I still have quite a backlog of games that bag to be played ( SMG2, Pandora's Tower, Last Story ), but these days I spend more time with my PC sadly.
In the end, GC support it's a nice thing to have, but then you'll be overwhelmed by the share amount of games from both libraries and might feel disoriented !
( I know I do ) ;)

So get a Wii ( any model, but not the MINI ! ) , then visit the holy grail of Wii hacking page , then look around and start 'acquiring' your favorite games.....
Then I'll see you in about 2 years ;)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why would you not want GCN support? :huh:
Because I already played every GC games to death on an actual GC ?
And because I still own a GC ?
And because the best GC games ( RE4 ) have been/will be ported to Wii and Wii U anyway ?
Because my PC can run Dolphin ?
Because I don't have a GC controller / memory card.....?
Because I don't care about older games ?

Plenty of reason not to make it a priority when shopping for a Wii model ;)

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
1) TC explicitly states that he's never had a home console. Besides which, you probably didn't play them in progressive, which is much cheaper to do on Wii.
2) See above.
3) Firstly, no: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, SoulCalibur II, Super Mario Sunshine, Viewtiful Joe, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Burnout, TimeSplitters, F-Zero GX, Super Monkey Ball, Paper Mario, Beyond Good & Evil, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Zelda: Four Swords, Zelda: Twilight Princess was better on GC, Phantasy Star Online, Baten Kaitos, Spider-Man 2 ... there are literally tens of great GameCube games that aren't on Wii or Wii U. Secondly, TC is not asking about buying a Wii U (just like the rest of the world market), so they wouldn't be playing them there.

If you personally don't see GameCube support as an important feature, that's fine, but to recommend someone else discount it based on fallacious reasoning and ignoring the statements of the interested buyer seems kind of silly.

kumpandjill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definitely worth it. the library is huge and the price is at a great point right now. go for it man. and modding is relatively cheap.

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I need to, but I'll back up what everyone else has already said and say go for it. There's plenty of great games, and if you softmod it, you can play a seemingly endless supply of old school games via different emulators. I upgraded to a Wii U just a couple weeks ago, and sold my Wii for cheap to some kids, so I know that there are some good deals out there right now making it totally worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa