Suggestion Bring back the old Mod team

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When I first joined, there used to be both GMs and Mods. GMs oversaw the whole forums and the Mods oversaw sections. There also used to be 2 to 3 mods per section, which really helped control the quality of posting on the site.
I've noticed since we've gotten right of the Mods and favor of just having a GM team, the quality of the site has really gone down. I am seeing far more issues coming up with flaming, harassment, trolling, bumping spam, ect. which did happen before, but was always quickly taken care of because we had a big enough staff to do it. But recently it seems the staff here are becoming grossly overworked or simply busy in real life to really dedicate enough time to dealing with these issues. Which is why I suggest we bring back the old Mod team to really delegate those tasks and really have a greater staff presence on the forums. Something to really help make the job easier for everyone, well improving the quality of the site.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Issac:
usually, the mods we pick already have the same reasoning of what is allowed or not on the forum. we see that with reports, or the behavior on the forum. that's a way we are choosing, knowing that user will understand the rules and think the same way as other staff members.
Of course, there are differences, that's not always a simple rule to apply (illegal links are easy to manage, user conflict are harder, etc.)
Sometime, we even not fully agree about what we should do about specific data (console and game's keys for example). keys aren't copyrighted per se, but its usage could allow piracy. we are not sharing games, or data created by developers, or intellectual properties, etc. that's just a random number. the key is not necessarily used for piracy either (decrypting your own game for personal use). We had a thread with lot of keys without issue for a long time in WiiU section. I tried to keep all posted keys in a single thread and "tested" to keep it open, seeing if any company would send a closing request. We never got one, but other mods felt it was better to not keep it open to continue following our previous rules (no key at all, common or not) to prevent continued overflow of the rules. (you allow a little, users want more)
We may be too strict for something not copyrighted, but that's part of the decisions we do to keep the forum clean and prevent future issues (if we get request to remove something, we would have hundreds of threads to check).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Issac: snip .
Yes, it's the user conflicts I meant. I have already seen some behaviour being frowned upon in some threads, that in other threads are okay. I guess it has to do with repeat offenders and the background to the conflicts though.

I think it was a good decision to not allow those keys. Unnecessary to play with fire. I never noticed that at all, since I'm not into the Wii U hacking scene :)

Of course you pick those with the same mindset, but generally the risk of conflicting opinions rise with a bigger staff.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I wonder who thought it was a good idea to front page a rom hack that has the entire rom up for download.
It's more than likely that whomever front paged it assumed that person would follow the rules and not include things like that in the download. I removed the link now.

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.