Bricked N3DS?

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I’m trying to figure out if so far this is a software issue or something wrong with the actual hardware.

I nodded a used (not modded to begin with) new 3ds XL a month ago, and it was working perfectly fine.

I must admit I dropped it on the hardwood floor last night, but it functioned and played star fox command just alright even afterwards.

I woke up to it be frozen after closing the ds game, so I restarted it by holding the power button, commonly used to it from homebrew games not closing correctly.

Now my 3DS has the dreaded black screens and blue light,
I’ve so far tried

This whole page https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting
Taking out sd card (just shows the luma settings then the same thing.
Messing with the battery.
Deleting the home menu exadata.
Powering it on via cable and no batter (just turned off the charge light, nothing else.)

It is worth noting that Godmode works just fine, and all the nand doesn’t look corrupt.

Any ideas? I do have the local shop I bought it from but the warranty would be out by now, I could still have them fix the hardware side.

Was going to try and restore nand after I cooked dinner.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something was loosened when it dropped. I would start with the sd card reader, open the back plate and unplug/replug it from the mobo. Reinsert your micro sd card too.
If it didn't fix it, i would open the system to re-seat the Wifi board. Be careful opening the system and use something like the Ifixit guide to help you.
Don't restore the nand it's unlikely to be the issue.

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something was loosened when it dropped. I would start with the sd card reader, open the back plate and unplug/replug it from the mobo. Reinsert your micro sd card too.
If it didn't fix it, i would open the system to re-seat the Wifi board. Be careful opening the system and use something like the Ifixit guide to help you.
Don't restore the nand it's unlikely to be the issue.

For the record, restoring the band wouldn’t hurt though right? As it’s already currently happening.

Looks like I’ll be heading to to that local store and repair shop as I don’t trust my hands, and don’t have a Nintendo screwdriver trywing

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, restoring the band wouldn’t hurt though right? As it’s already currently happening.

Looks like I’ll be heading to to that local store and repair shop as I don’t trust my hands, and don’t have a Nintendo screwdriver trywing
You'll lose any installed games and saves if you didn't have them backed up. And since it's not a software problem, doing a nand restore will not fix anything. You're welcome to try of course.
The nand restore you could do just by yourself, same with the replugging the sd card reader (since it's easier for N3DS systems). Though you'd need a tri-wing screwdriver it seems.

Reactions: impeeza

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s very confused afterwards, it did boot perfectly fine even after restarting a few times.

I lost all my games from backups, have fbi checkpoint and universal installer.

Along with everything from the eshop, like smash swap note and bank. Along with the pre installed Mario kart 7.

Edit: Upon using 2 braincells, these are all from when I restored my 3ds using an old 2ds, means I didn’t lose a few game saves at the least, and the most important were on carts

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You still have Luma3DS on the root of the sdcard? You haven't updated the system or anything? What happens if you power on the system with sd card removed, does it boot into a black screen? Or does it give you the fading blue light after ~3 seconds?

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ll check again in a little bit, I do know before I did that I had luma installed directly to the ds but assume that was cleared out

Edit:
I do have Luna installed.
I have not updated.
Still cooking do the others after

Last edited by Thejax,

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
I didn’t modify any files before it stopped working.
Data is there I think, as card is almost full.

Saves for what I see are still there (some flip note art I did last week is there)

And all the tickets are there, I just gotta remember/search how to restore them

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There we go, even the custom badges came in, faketik fixed all the old games back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19

Thejax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another magical solution beyond our understanding

Exactly, only problem were some backups crashing with an arm11 error, but backing up the saved and deleting and reinstalled fixed it.

I suppose everything’s fixed now, I was only updating the article if there were anymore questions.

Reactions: impeeza

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, only problem were some backups crashing with an arm11 error, but backing up the saved and deleting and reinstalled fixed it.

I suppose everything’s fixed now, I was only updating the article if there were anymore questions.

I missed the part in OP that said godmod9 works.
Must not have been a cable after all.

Reactions: Thejax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1