Hacking Bootmii

BBking83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so I understand what bootmii does, (allows you to backup/restor NAND and load .dol's before the Wii boots) but what I'd like to know is the differences between: boot1, boot2, boot2v3, boot2v4, cboot2 and any others I have left out.

Is there a way you can check what you've got? I know that N did something in their 4.2 update stop bootmii, which they have stopped now, but I updated via N the day it came out so I don't know what has happened. Bootmii still works but I was just wondering that would a 3.4/4.0 backup still work on my Wii?

I had to use 1.0.5 hackmii so I think I've got boot2v4 or cboot2.

Thanks in advance for any help or explanation.
smile.gif

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boot1 loads before boot2, cannot be altered after a Wii is produced since it's sig hashes are stored in OTP memory. If you have an old Wii there's a bug in boot1 that lets you install BootMii into boot2. If it's newer that bug isn't present.

Boot2 is the next part of the bootloader, comes in 3 versions: boot2v2, boot2v3, and boot2v4. Any of them can receive a BootMii install assuming boot1 is vulnerable.

cboot2 isn't actually something in your Wii. It's an armboot.bin file on your SD Card that gets executed by BootMii.

BBking83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Great! Thanks again. Cleared some things up.

So, what I'm stuck at is this:
BootMii as boot2 is essentially 100% safe. This is because boot1 can’t be changed, so the only thing that will affect it is a boot2 update. This would remove it, but that wouldn’t cause a brick.

So N removed bootmii, what else did they do?? I'm tempted to update again (can't use zektor's safe updater as it leaves boot2 untouched) via N cause I'd like a clean boot2.

There must be a reason N changed their minds about what they did in the initial 4.2 update?

Still, my Wii is still fully functional so best I leave it as is, I spose.

HellFireXS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All the 4.2 patch does to boot2 is update it to boot2v4 which erases bootmii, so all you have to do it reinstall bootmii over boot2v4 and you will have it again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...