Hacking BootMii experts: Help clean up this myth!!!

tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Many poeple users of BootMii installed as IOS have been told to NEVER restare a NAND backup on their system. Some other poeple report that BootMii IOS doesn't even have the "install backup NAND" function.
I would assume this spawns from the warning dialogue that apprears before attempting to reinstall a NAND backup on a BootMii IOS.
This is what the warning reads.....

Checking boot2...
BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it. If you are SURE you want to do this, press A+B+X+Y
Otherwise press any key to exit.

SO IS IT SAFE TO RESTORE NAND BACKUPS ON BOOTMII AS IOS INSTEAD OF BOOT2? FURTHERMORE, IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE?

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like everyone else has said, yes and no.

You can restore a NAND backup, but it is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and even the slightest problem will fully brick your Wii, and you'll need to install an infectus to fix it.

wilsoff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say if your options are throwing the Wii in the bin or pressing A+B+X+Y then go for it, otherwise stay well away.

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have restored the nand with bootmii as ios at least 15 times
yaywii.gif

i would say go for it but only if u understand the risk involved

Last edited by sindrik,

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would say don't restore with bootmii IOS. Chances are if you CAN get into bootmii IOS, you probably have better ways of fixing it. If you really can't do ANYTHING else to fix it and the only other option would be to send it to Nintendo, then you might as well try doing it first. That shouldn't be too likely though.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
People should just try to avoid brick....
I mean I've never brick, I've bootmii as boot2 as security (even if it's just a side effect). I've tried many thing, lot of wad, cIOSCORP, systemmenu patches, write and delete a lot of things form my NAND, BUT never brick.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
carbonyle said:
People should just try to avoid brick....
I mean I've never brick, I've bootmii as boot2 as security (even if it's just a side effect). I've tried many thing, lot of wad, cIOSCORP, systemmenu patches, write and delete a lot of things form my NAND, BUT never brick.

Yes but unfortunately these homebrew apps are not idiot proof. Things like this and preloader attempt to reduce the casualties, but as someone else here said I think: you could try to idiot proof something, but the world will always invent a better idiot.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tylerzentz said:
[...]
This is what the warning reads.....

Checking boot2...
BootMii not found, too dangerous to continue! If your SD is corrupt or restore is interrupted, you will be unable to boot to fix it. If you are SURE you want to do this, press A+B+X+Y
Otherwise press any key to exit.
[...]

Read the warning and listen to it! I have seen at least 1 brick because of an error during the restore process.

Seriously, if you can launch the restore process with only BootMii IOS installed, YOU ARE NOT BRICKED! Then why do you want to risk your Wii with this?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiPower said:
Seriously, if you can launch the restore process with only BootMii IOS installed, YOU ARE NOT BRICKED! Then why do you want to risk your Wii with this?
One could boot BootMii IOS through Priiloader
In that case you can be bricked, but you can still use BootMii IOS

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tj_cool said:
WiiPower said:

NO YOU CAN'T. At the beginning of the nand, there's the information which file is to be found where. All files from priiloader belong to these. So if you restored about 5% of the old nand, that table points to the files from the old nand, while you have the files from the nand you want to get rid of. If you restore about these 5%, you have 0 usable and working files on your nand.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
WiiPower said:
NO YOU CAN'T. At the beginning of the nand, there's the information which file is to be found where. All files from priiloader belong to these. So if you restored about 5% of the old nand, that table points to the files from the old nand, while you have the files from the nand you want to get rid of. If you restore about these 5%, you have 0 usable and working files on your nand.
Who said something about restoring the NAND
I said you can boot BootMii IOS, not that you have any use for it

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry my fault. You are right, you can use priiloader to boot BootMii IOS to boot BootMii programs, like sneek.

tylerzentz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
tj_cool said:
WiiPower said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT.
are you saying if a wii is bricked, directly booting to BootMii IOS through Priiloader and restoring a NAND is not possible?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the nature of the brick. If you killed the system menu or its IOS, then you're flat out of luck because Preloader depends on those. But in the case of banner or theme bricks you're okay.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
FenrirWolf said:
Depends on the nature of the brick. If you killed the system menu or its IOS, then you're flat out of luck because Preloader depends on those. But in the case of banner or theme bricks you're okay.
so to summarize, if u can access bootmii IOS (either via HBC or Priiloader), you can do a nand restore.

But it is not recommended (if u lose power at the wrong moment u could brick, unlike bootmii as boot2, which if it were to lose power, can still launch bootmii a second time 4 sure)

and if u can access either priiloader or the HBC to get to bootmii IOS, u should be able to solve w/e problem ur having w/out doing a nand restore but instead using your brain and the right apps

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
FenrirWolf said:
so to summarize, if u can access bootmii IOS (either via HBC or Priiloader), you can do a nand restore.

But it is not recommended (if u lose power at the wrong moment u could brick, unlike bootmii as boot2, which if it were to lose power, can still launch bootmii a second time 4 sure)

and if u can access either priiloader or the HBC to get to bootmii IOS, u should be able to solve w/e problem ur having w/out doing a nand restore but instead using your brain and the right apps

I don't think the danger is limited to losing power at the wrong moment. That would make it just about as safe as any system menu update. Things can just go wrong when writing changes across the entire nand that could potentially just make everything stop working altogether with or without power failure. With boot2 bootmii, it doesn't make any changes to where bootmii is installed itself, so if there is anything that didn't get written completely as it should have, nothing would have changed anything to stop bootmii from still loading on boot even if the rest of the system is fucked up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/3aCbNk8 lol smart keyboard