XP
Country
United States
on his site it says
AHEM
------------------------------------------------
HUGE NEWS!!

NOW OFFICIALLY LICENSED!!!

Due to the release of the demo, Reggie has personally apologized and given me three SDK's for free!

THANKS, REGGIE!!

"bob's game" will be officially released on retail store shelves on 2010/04/01!!

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
SPOILER ALERT:
The game will be released and it probably won't suck.

Seriously, Pyro, I think that people are more hyped at the idea of the game than the game itself. Bob has done a great job advertising his game throughout his "protest", and I for one found it entertaining. Even if the game sucks, I enjoyed the ride. Now stop being such a little bitch and let people look forward to something. It's not up to you to choose what games people should look forward to, and I don't see why it concerns you.
Umm, really? The same way that they can get look forward to what they want and go on praising a pile of shit, I can besmirch it all I wish.

QUOTE(Icey @ Apr 1 2009, 08:16 PM) It's an april fools joke. Duh.
I said this, you fools flamed me over it.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hasboon said:
on his site it says
AHEM
------------------------------------------------
HUGE NEWS!!

NOW OFFICIALLY LICENSED!!!

Due to the release of the demo, Reggie has personally apologized and given me three SDK's for free!

THANKS, REGGIE!!

"bob's game" will be officially released on retail store shelves on 2010/04/01!!
He should have put 2010/02/30
tongue.gif

I doubt it would ever get licensed, since it has some already licensed stuff in it, I think.

lol, my favorite part about the forum is the PM icon. xD
38090911.png

Also, I barely noticed what it says in the background of the forum xD

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly am I flaming and inciting here? I called it fake and was flamed by these people, I simply retaliated, if proof is needed you can easily do a search of my name and follow the first page starting from there within this thread.

Nothing in it is licensed unless you count Intellectual Property law, and semantically you wouldn't.

In any case, he insulted Nintendo why would they ever approve it at this point?

theotherfreakygu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's simple; They wouldn't. In my opinion, he released the demo in preparation for releasing it to the homebrew masses, ie. without licensing. If he had a deal with someone, he most likely wouldn't be able o release a demo, and now that he has, plus with his crazy rep, I doubt he will ever get it put out "officially."

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pyrofyr said:
How exactly am I flaming and inciting here? I called it fake and was flamed by these people, I simply retaliated, if proof is needed you can easily do a search of my name and follow the first page starting from there within this thread.

Nothing in it is licensed unless you count Intellectual Property law, and semantically you wouldn't.

In any case, he insulted Nintendo why would they ever approve it at this point?
You want me to quote you on "flaming and insults", you're forgetting what you write so quick?
One of the many many sentences that qualify as "flaming":
QUOTEOh, and so you know, I'll probably be back to 'flame' all of you 'tards when the full game gets released, if it ever does, because I'll put money up to say that it'll be an absolute failure, just like 'Bob'.

You can think about it whatever you want, but have some manners here....You're throwing insults here all around! I just can't understand why are you trying so hard to make a point (or whatever you're trying), if you don't like it, just say it and that's it..You spend so much time explaining what you dislike here, and after all that, I don't care what you say, I like the idea of this game, and I like the style of it..So you can say anything you want, and you won't change minds of people that do like the game..I don't care about Robert, I don't care about Viral Ad, I just like the idea of the game, and I will play it once he releases it..

And Robert himself said numerous time, THIS GAME WILL BE RELEASED AS HOMEBREW!!

damnet

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
DokiDoki98 said:
Well. I support ya, I emailed him for the demo, and no word.....YET!!!!!

NEW POST
QUOTE said:
I don't have a problem with having a publisher, that's not the issue. I need to become a licensed developer to have a licensed game with licensed tools.
I'm not expecting Nintendo themselves to publish my game, as they aren't even a publisher for third party titles.
All I'm asking from them is that they allow me to purchase a DVD with the software I need to get my game into retail shrinkwrap.
There is no cost to them whatsoever- in fact they would be profiting from the several thousand dollars the SDK costs.

Nintendo has replied to me in regards to my developer application, but they have not granted me a decision as the agreement states.
I'm a bit frustrated with the process- Why is my development studio (Robert Pelloni LC) with a full, complete, polished
high quality title being treated any differently than the hundreds of studios putting out "Fluffy Bunny's Crappy Movie Franchise Platformer 16?"

The issue is something else entirely. Someone at Nintendo doesn't like the idea of supporting this project, because it blurs the line between homebrew and commercial.
That's a new trend entirely, and it's a trend that's changing the game industry from the way it's been from the start.
It's always been about locking up the information and maintaining strict agreements between massive publishers to keep the license money flowing for old franchises- not new ideas.
In the past, if you wanted to make games you got a job for EA- and worked on drawing a part of a shoe. In my case, that wasn't good enough. I wanted to make the whole thing, so I did.
Only recently has there been any movement to give independent developers a chance, and that's where all the innovation comes from.
So where do I fit in? I haven't made a WiiWare title, I've made a DS one. WiiWare didn't exist when I started.

Maybe there simply isn't any standard procedure or paperwork for licensing a single person.
A project like this has never really been tried before and something like this has never happened- do they even know what to do?
It's a special case- an industry first- and it takes someone in the company taking extra initiative.
In other words, they need some convincing. Can I fly there and negotiate? I asked that already. They don't know.
The only real tools I have on my side are dedication and determination, so I'm using those. This is a sort of personal challenge to myself, and I'm quite serious about it.
I plan on staying in here up to 100 days or more, so we'll see where it goes. The lease on my office might have to be extended. ;}

There have been petitions from fans towards Nintendo in the past that have fallen on deaf ears, such as the Mother 3 campaign.
Knowing this, I realized I had to do something that hadn't been tried before. I'm trying to maintain a professional attitude about my stand, so I'm not putting myself into physical harm... yet. ;}
That isn't to say that solitary confinement is pleasant. I'm working 16 hour days with no human contact. Usually they reserve that for unruly prisoners, not game developers.
If I'm not mad yet, I will be! (Of course, that'll only make the sequel better.. ;} )

My site gets several thousand viewers a day, including many high-profile gaming news outlets, magazines, blogs, and even Nintendo employees.
They're definitely aware of what I'm doing, and they're probably hoping that it'll blow over or that I'll give up. I won't, of course.
The longer this goes on, the more interesting it becomes.

I'll see you there on day 100, REGGIE!

Hmmmmm, no internet ORLY

100 DAYS!!!!

EDIT: found the Nitro SDK on a warez site

^.^ Mr. Pelloni hath never herd 'o' torrents

also it seems mr. Peloni never heard of Cave Story, a really fantastic game that took 5 years for a single guy to complete (pixelman), and in his case he was only working on the game in his free time from work, and in the end he released the game as freeware, and now is working on the wiiware port.

the level of polish and overall awesomeness of cave story is unreal.

anyway, in a way I agree with Bob, I mean it's not like he wants the sdk for free, he simply want's the right to buy it, and be a licensed developer, and while a lot of Shovelware is being released on the ds they simply won't give him this license, it's not right, but I believe this is not the right approach to the problem.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Dwight said:
SPOILER ALERT:
The game will be released and it probably won't suck.

Seriously, Pyro, I think that people are more hyped at the idea of the game than the game itself. Bob has done a great job advertising his game throughout his "protest", and I for one found it entertaining. Even if the game sucks, I enjoyed the ride. Now stop being such a little bitch and let people look forward to something. It's not up to you to choose what games people should look forward to, and I don't see why it concerns you.

While I don't agree with the amount of vitriol Pyro might be using, I also don't agree with the statement that Bob did a great job advertising his game.

Let me be straight here: if Bob's game came out as a homebrew or even an Xbox Live/WiiWare/iTunes game without the "viral marketing," I would probably pay 400-800 points or 5-10 bucks for it. I'm roughly the same age as Bob and have the same nostalgic memories of video games past. While I hate the Tetris clone, I'd hope the future GameToy games would be better and the game would play as an RPG/Retro Game Challenge hybrid.

However, the viral advertising ruined it for me. The fact that so much of it seemed to have been winged (like the whole "alien abduction" subplot that was just dropped) or outright forced (the "See guys, I faked those videos!" when most people either didn't care or already called it). And what did the 100th day get us? A 4 day wait and this demo.

Viral marketing is already a tricky business. Cloverfield was attacked because it's viral marketing didn't really appear in the movie at all, and the dates in the Viral Marketing didn't match the film (because the advertising company didn't get to see the final product before scripting the advertising). Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero ARG (which I was a huge fan of) ended with a bit of a thud, only leaving us with an underground 5-song concert video. Resistance 2's ARG was great, but it didn't drive me to buy a PS3 and play the game at all.

So for Bob to send out a "Press Release" to all the video game blogs around day 95 whining about how people weren't falling over to praise him for his "viral marketing" strikes me as more demanding, narcissistic BS. Maybe if everytime Bob talked about the game or the viral marketing, he actually talked about gameplay elements instead of just patting himself on the back. Many games have been released in the last year that were done by mainly one person who took less time to produce the product, so that novelty wore off quickly. (And even critical darling indie game developers like the guy behind Braid get backlash for being too cocky, even after he produced his game)

I also feel like this "Bob's inside Bob's game is out to destroy Gantendo" thing was conjured up around day 50 when the protest wasn't getting the attention he thought it would. Do you really think he pitched an idea to Nintendo about a game where he, the best game developer ever, is out to destroy their own company? Even I don't think he's that stupid. I think halfway through, he realized he had to have an actual demo to show off and came up with and programmed the demo around the time of the "alien abduction," which was being used as a time filler.

greygoosecat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damnet said:
also it seems mr. Peloni never heard of Cave Story, a really fantastic game that took 5 years for a single guy to complete (pixelman), and in his case he was only working on the game in his free time from work, and in the end he released the game as freeware, and now is working on the wiiware port.

If you read his responses at all...he said this several times to people who would say the same thing to him

QUOTEHi. I played Doukutsu before it was translated in 2004.
He was trying to get it published and gave up, he did not intend to give it away.
Nintendo has nothing to do with it. A new licensed third party studio is remaking it for WiiWare, it is a remake- not his original game.
The original is a 1 megabyte platformer, he made it in his spare time a few hours a week.
"bob's game" is 64 megabytes, 64 times the size. I made it full time 10+ hours a day. It contains a platformer the size of Doukutsu.

A youtube response on the stage 90 video

lesj1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I For One Hope He Fails Miserably, I Got Banned From His Forum Twice! First Time For Asking Someone To Lay Off The One Guys Bad Grammar, I Just Stated That He Could Have Learning Difficulties Then Bam! I Was Banned. I Got Banned The Second Time For Private Messaging Bob Asking Why I Was Banned Even Saying That I Was Impressed And Would Love To Buy A Retail Copy When It Arrives. Then Bam I Was Banned Again. His Policy Is Garbage.

Sorry For The Caps Before Every Word I Have Something Wrong With Me I Think I Cant Help It.

lesj1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chrono_Tata said:
Have you considered that your ban may have something to do with the fact you capitalise the first letter of every word?

Yeah I Kinda Pointed That Out. I Cant Help It Though It's Like A O.C.D Thing I Have
frown.gif

Don't Think It Warrants A Ban Though.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Okay I don't know if you're pulling my legs about the disorder thing but if it is a real disorder someone should make a technical name for it. Principlo-capitlo-mania... or something.

It would be pretty harsh if they ban you just for that yeah, but to be honest it is pretty annoying. Makes it seems like you're Shouting Every Word.

lesj1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nah i'm just pulling your finger
biggrin.gif

but yeah seriously banned for nothing twice is a bit shady.

i really do hope he falls flat on his face, i was really interested but now..... meh he can shove his game where osamas hiding so no one ever see's it again!

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Lol I knew it.

Anyway, while I quite like the whole viral thing he had going, but I seem to be in a minority since Bob here isn't exactly winning many hearts and souls around. Demo wasn't that great (only consisting of a fetch quest most of which we saw already in the trailer and a terrible Tetris clone) so I'll just have to wait and see what the full game is like. Might not be too bad.

Icey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lesj1989 said:
Chrono_Tata said:
Have you considered that your ban may have something to do with the fact you capitalise the first letter of every word?

Yeah I Kinda Pointed That Out. I Cant Help It Though It's Like A O.C.D Thing I Have
frown.gif

Don't Think It Warrants A Ban Though.

You'll probably grow out of it. I Used To Do That Too. lol
I'm on Bobsgame forum. no new developments that I know of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Bad dragon +1