Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbazone

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey StapleButter,

Just wanted to say thanks for your efforts. This is making me nostalgic for the exciting GBA homebrew days when Loopy was doing LoopyNES and I was fourteen or something.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the release :)

I always wondered how emulators were working to read from dumped ROM and find all the game's data with no file system.
One day I'll try to learn (starting with Chip8 probably :lol: ).

Ziggyro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was worried you wouldn't release this ever since that's what happens to delayed releases.
Thanks for proving me wrong, Good work.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
.srm extention? All the ones I have are .smc am I getting the wrong ones are their different types of snes roms ?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, it's .smc
Create a 'snes' folder on your 3DS SD card and put the unzipped roms in there.

Also this version is basically the same as the one relaesed by gadorach. Pretty much the same compatibility and bugs.
You must pause emulation (touch the lower screen) before closing the emulator, or you'll just get stuck and be forced to shut the power off and reload the gateway exploit again.
As far as I can see there's no way to change roms so you always have to close the emulator to try other games.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the release :)

I always wondered how emulators were working to read from dumped ROM and find all the game's data with no file system.
One day I'll try to learn (starting with Chip8 probably :lol: ).
I can't speak for other systems, but in the case of the SNES, the ROM in the cartridge is plugged directly in the CPU's address space.

The game's data is embedded in the ROM directly. The game's code then has hardcoded pointers to the data.

The splashscreen and font graphics in blargSnes are embedded in the same way, by the way. In the code, they are defined as arrays, like this and this.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If there's a need for Wiki compat list, let me know the columns you need to get good report from users and improve it.
If you don't need specific columns (chipset, high/low, sound (when will be emulated), etc.), just the information that users want to know will be enough (title/version of emu/comments). Maybe CRC? because there are a lot of different ROMs for the same game.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I only have one .srm extention rom all the rest are .smc, I tested two different smc roms neither of which loaded, If I simply changed the extention would that work? Ive made the correct folders and placed the roms in the correct place etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the extension doesn't change the data in the file.
A lot of games were released and dumped with 5 different extensions (depending on the Game dumper used), but all of them are the same format.
.smc
.1 .2 .3 etc.
.sfc
.fig
.swc
or even no extension at all.

Though, the srm is not the ROM file, but the save file. (sram)

Reactions: Doran754

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some extensions signify whether there is a header or just a raw dump. Though, I've come across quite a few mislabled extensions. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4