Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Guess this is where my knowledge of computers has failed. I was wrong in thinking a programmable shader, in general, could also be used for general purpose computing, simply because I had the idea that if it's programmable, then it has the basic things like what you would find that a CPU would have. Unfortunately, that isn't the case, as what it can do is more specific to the graphics pipeline.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
You're right there.

To get any speed benefit, the PICA200 would need to be able to extract individual bits out of the SNES's planar graphics to build the final graphics. Extracting individual bits implies, at best, bitwise logic, but atleast integer arithmetic. It just wouldn't work with imprecise floating-point arithmetic.

Then, the SNES VRAM would be passed to the PICA200 as a texture. You would have uniform variables for things like tileset/tilemap offsets, BG scroll offsets, etc...

Would surely be complex, but maybe it can be pulled off after all. I need to start looking into that PICA200 shiz.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
any plans to release as .3ds now that ssspwn is delayed or is it still going to be released pretty much along side
not really too bothered either way its only like a month away but just wondering on your decision

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
With the new events in mind, release's coming actually very soon.

It will be provided as a .3ds for Gateway, and as a .elf for compatibility with potential future exploits.

Before releasing, I will merely polish the interface a bit and ensure it works properly.

Sound support is not in yet. It will be in, eventually.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tested one of the builds available on the internet and
TMNT IV Turtles in Time ran OK
Zombies Ate My Neighbors ran pretty fine, maybe a bit too fast.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pretty sure gadorach stuck it on max-console the next day after saying he would remove the link and stop sharing it, a few of us said that that was not very respectful and the thread is now gone....but yeah pretty dick move

now i cant exactly prove it wasn't just someone using the same name doing the exact same thing...but i doubt it,

anyway whats done is done it was removed within a few hours anyway....but whether its been shared else where who knows

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude.... some guy did it on maxconsole and i called him out on it and within a half hour to an hour one of the mods deep sixed it completely.

People want your emulator bro. And other people are dumb enough to post their compiled files.

I know its not likely but i was like what are you gonna do if this bricks someones 3ds. You are the one that compiled it. You can be held liable. I know it probably wont ever but some people i know can compile stuff without knowing how it works. Who knows what will happen if you do something wrong right? Seemed enough of a reason for it to be removed plus you didnt tell him he could do it.

Edit: slighlty ninja'd by gamesquest1

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey hes a member of this forum too.

Plus im one of those goons and i dont pull crap like that. :P

Seriously though.... it was pretty stupid

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey hes a member of this forum too.

Plus im one of those goons and i dont pull crap like that. :P

Seriously though.... it was pretty stupid

Whoops....sorry, I uh, yeah...think I'm gonna show myself to the door now...:sad: I just hate it when others' hard work gets leaked premature and often without consent.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it was also "leaked" on here first XD then he went over to max console and put it on there after it was removed from here
....no point trying to pick fights with other forums for no reason, the staff removed it there too so its not like they where dicks about it

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I know people want the emulator, but they can just uh, wait for the release.

The reason there's a Github repo is that I'm for open-source work, and more importantly to prevent idiots calling it fake because there's nothing to show off but screenshots.

I expected that with the build process not being that simple, people who manage to build it would be intelligent enough to be responsible and not leak shitty half-broken builds on the internet, but nope. There's always the idiot who is smarter than the average idiot but is still an idiot.

I'm working on the interface side. Expect a release tonight (GMT+1).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I understand that it's making you upset, but please stop with the idiot insult.
Let's get back to the subject.

Thanks for expecting a release today, but I know it's better to not give release date, I always procrastinate or find last minute issues when I do :lol:
This week I wanted to create Wiki page for each 3DS homebrew.. I did only one page in a week.
At least, I re-read the homebrew thread fully and found few missed files, I can now work on making the pages.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i hope this leaks dont stop you from finishing the program, dont let those leakers win i have hope someday this will be a perfect snes emulator on the 3ds.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have no idea who the person on maxconsole that decided to post it again is. It certainly isn't me, and I made a point of apologizing about it. I did what I said I did, and nothing more. I'm not an old developer, and as a result, I'm not always in-the-know about the etiquette agreed upon by other developers just yet. I already learned my lesson, so I'd appreciate if you could stop bashing me for past mistakes. I'm not trying to shift blame, and I'm not trying to feign innocence. I did what I said, as per my post on here, and I apologized. I took down my link immediately, and I reported the download stats. I did not re-post it to any other sites, and I also admit that I did not test it fully before releasing it. If I had, I might have held off, and that was my mistake, I admit to that, but that's in the past now. Anyone could have built that, and anyone could have made my mistake. I am genuinely sorry, as I have said, but bashing me after I've apologized just seems improper. So please, understand that we all make mistakes, and it just so happened to be me this time. I did it for genuine reasons, but I still did it, and I apologized. Can we really not put this behind us yet?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have no idea who the person on maxconsole that decided to post it again is. It certainly isn't me, and I made a point of apologizing about it. I did what I said I did, and nothing more. I'm not an old developer, and as a result, I'm not always in-the-know about the etiquette agreed upon by other developers just yet. I already learned my lesson, so I'd appreciate if you could stop bashing me for past mistakes. I'm not trying to shift blame, and I'm not trying to feign innocence. I did what I said, as per my post on here, and I apologized. I took down my link immediately, and I reported the download stats. I did no re-post it to any other sites, and I also admit that I did not test it fully before releasing it. If I had, I might have held off, and that was my mistake, I admit to that, but that's in the past now. Anyone could have built that, and anyone could have made my mistake. I am genuinely sorry, as I have said, but bashing me after I've apologized just seems improper. So please, understand that we all make mistakes, and it just so happened to be me this time. I did it for genuine reasons, but I still did it, and I apologized. Can we really not put this behind us yet?
ok well i was just going off the fact they used the same user name and display picture.....you where FRAMMMEDD :rofl2:

anyways whats done is done, hopefully we will have a proper release soon so lets not dwell

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok well i was just going off the fact they used the same user name and display picture.....you where FRAMMMEDD :rofl2:

anyways whats done is done, hopefully we will have a proper release soon so lets not dwell
That's unfortunate that someone would decide to do that, and as I don't use maxconsole, I don't have an account on there, which would let that happen. Ah well, this is the internet, it's hardly unexpected, but my original compiling did allow it to happen, so I still have to apologize for it I guess.

StapleButter , again, apologies for allowing this to happen. Hopefully other new developers will have learned from this as well, and will now know the etiquette of scene developers as a result.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There will be soon a release that users can share freely, the one who got the old revision will update and shouldn't report things with that old revision.

I don't know what you did with lolsnes official builds, you used version numbers? (to differentiate your official builds vs self user's build?)
I have difficulties with GitHub revision number (not easy when it's not chronological).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all! +1