Best way to mod OG Xbox in 2023

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just got my hands on a old OG Xbox and I would like to play games straight from the hdd as simple and cheap as possible.
What is the current easiest way to make this possible?
I have done some research and there is quite a lot of different modchips available, and also a softmod. Is there any huge difference between the different models?

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
first off you want a hardmod on you og box and depending on your model you wouldnt even need a modchip
1,4 sharp models as example

softmod is subotimal since bios flashing and reflashing is not possible and changing / upgrading your internal hdd wont be possible since it married to you console

and for the modchip i would say you should go for project stellar
https://makemhz.com/products/stellar

and heres a perfect site to guide you to the whole process
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:Getting_Started

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Project Stellar is a scam. MakeMHz did not bring the fully fledged features that they advertised as most had anticipated for it, I wouldn't trust them AT ALL. Instead, buy an OpenXenium modchip, as they have almost all of the features you need to have a modded console.

• Wow
Reactions: rantex92

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Project Stellar is a scam. MakeMHz did not bring the fully fledged features that they advertised as most had anticipated for it, I wouldn't trust them AT ALL. Instead, buy an OpenXenium modchip, as they have almost all of the features you need to have a modded console.
thank u i didnt know about that at all

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
damn thats effed especiallly its a hardmod that its just usefull as a softmod so this is complete obsolete

or in more propper known words ...WHAT WERE THEY THINKIN
and thank u again for clearing that up
You're welcome. ;)

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not a 1.6 revision console soft mod it and then look into doing a bios flash woth cerbios,( if you are uncomfortable with flashing the stock bios you can use a mod chip ) and upgrade the hdd. If it is a 1.6 revision console then get a mod chip. Open xenium is a good one, do not buy an aladin xt as they are all fakes and not flashable.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
first off you want a hardmod on you og box and depending on your model you wouldnt even need a modchip
1,4 sharp models as example

softmod is subotimal since bios flashing and reflashing is not possible and changing / upgrading your internal hdd wont be possible since it married to you console

and heres a perfect site to guide you to the whole process
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:Getting_Started

One can softmod their console and use Chimp to clone the original drive to a bigger/newer drive.
One could also TSOP flash the BIOS if one has a 1.0-1.5 console and is willing bridge a few points.

A modchip/hardmod isn't required nor is it "better" than a properly installed softmod.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I've been fine with a softmodded 1.6, although I have upgraded IDE HDDs in them and haven't tried to upgrade them to SATA drives.

Be aware if you plan on using Insignia (a RE'd Xbox Live), as it has certain requirements e.g. the HDD key:
https://insignia.live/connect

So far the only real benefits I'm aware of using a modchip/TSOP over a softmod:
1) You don't have to worry about locking the HDD
2) If your modchip supports multiple BIOSs then you can more easily turn the console into an XDK (there are softmod options but they can have compatibility issues with certain BIOSs)
3) If you have a 'fancy' mod chip you can do other things e.g. LCD display

What model do you have OP?

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A modchip/hardmod isn't required nor is it "better" than a properly installed softmod.
It may do most of the same things (true) but it's certainly much cleaner and not depending on a complex and artificial chain... pretty much like your favorite implementation of sighax versus the various things that came before

So with that, I'll vote for flashed console set up my way, boot animation runs normal, no double booting, XBMC starts from C: without forwarders, and all of the space is in E: avoiding the first disadvantage of multiple partitions on any system (the reason F and G were invented is because official kernels use a fixed partition table so doing this would be pizdets with a softmod or OFW)

Reactions: zfreeman

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One can softmod their console and use Chimp to clone the original drive to a bigger/newer drive.
One could also TSOP flash the BIOS if one has a 1.0-1.5 console and is willing bridge a few points.

thats what i got told back 2 yrs ago when i made a thread here about og xbox modding

but yeah thanks for clearing that up for me

duffman2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for all the replies. Will see if I find the games needed for softmoding as that seems like the cheapest alternative. Don't need anything fancy, just a bigger drive and possibly to play games from it

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you finished the softmod, a hardmod (TSOP flashing) is just as easy as bridging some points on the board and flash the BIOS if your board is not a 1.6. It will makes it a lot easier to recover if the HDD fails one day, because you don't need to lock it. And some games (e.g. Super Monkey Ball Deluxe) doesn't run from HDD with the softmod in my experience.

Having said that, when I modded my Xbox OG I didn't had the needed games and also it came with a already died HDD, so I needed to solder wires anyway to read the HDD password and lock a softmod-prepared HDD, so soldering a couple of bridges wasn't much more work.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe doesn't run from HDD with the softmod in my experience.
Works fine on my 1.0 Xbox with Rocky5.

1698971997444.png

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
  • Wow
Reactions: Fien and Ripto

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My 1.4 with Rocky5 gave a black screen with that game when started from HDD. Maybe it was my fault :shy: But is worked fine after TSOP flashing Cerbios :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It’s still being actively worked on, and it works fine. Not a scam, just fell short. May be something to consider in the future (if the final few promised features do come).

Installed one with an HD+ and have zero regrets (except maybe the price for the combo).

Another option is TSOP and running Cerbios. Or, if you’re wanting a more reasonably priced alternative, the OpenXenium works. The point is you have options.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?