Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
@guinness,
ModMii checks if .net framework 3.5 is installed in a very crude way by seeing if you have the following folder on your PC:
Code:
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ where: %windir% is usually C:\Windows
On my windows 7 and windows XP machines, this folder is always present after installing .NET Framework 3.5. Can you check if u have a similar folder in a different location so I can add a check for that folder also (or if anyone knows of a better way to check if .NET Framework 3.5 is installed using a batch script I'm all ears)

If you want to trick ModMii into thinking u already have it installed, just create the above folder. At least that way u won't have to watch ModMii try and fail to install .NET Framework 3.5 all the time. Btw, what operating system are u running?

Thanks XFlak, the trick worked, however I don't seem to have that folder anywhere.

If anybody has any idea how to fix this properly, basically when installing .Net 3.5 I get the error 'You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.' but when I do so and untick Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, I get 'An error has occured. Not all of the features were successfully changed'. Tried everything I've found on Google, so if any of the clever people on here can help, it would be much appreciated, if not, I'll live with it.

Edit: using windows 7 ultimate

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guinness said:
XFlak said:
@guinness,
ModMii checks if .net framework 3.5 is installed in a very crude way by seeing if you have the following folder on your PC:
Code:
On my windows 7 and windows XP machines, this folder is always present after installing .NET Framework 3.5. Can you check if u have a similar folder in a different location so I can add a check for that folder also (or if anyone knows of a better way to check if .NET Framework 3.5 is installed using a batch script I'm all ears)

If you want to trick ModMii into thinking u already have it installed, just create the above folder. At least that way u won't have to watch ModMii try and fail to install .NET Framework 3.5 all the time. Btw, what operating system are u running?

Thanks XFlak, the trick worked, however I don't seem to have that folder anywhere.

If anybody has any idea how to fix this properly, basically when installing .Net 3.5 I get the error 'You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.' but when I do so and untick Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, I get 'An error has occured. Not all of the features were successfully changed'. Tried everything I've found on Google, so if any of the clever people on here can help, it would be much appreciated, if not, I'll live with it.
what form of windows are you running? i know on vista i was having the same issues, then i switched to windows 7 ultimate, an that already had all the frame work needed. if thats possible you might want to try that.

Sressiv

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey the modmii Programm worked fine, just wanted to thank you xFlak
now you wont be mad or angry huh
biggrin.gif

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@totalnoob617

I'm with you dude! I understand how you feel completely. I guess Xflak has a cheap Antivirus on his pc that doesn't detect that virus so this is what you are going to do:

You are going to send a donation to Xflak

Donations can be sent via paypal to [email protected]

Then he can buy an useful Antivirus that detect those nasty modmii viruses.

biggrin.gif

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
shortz1994 said:
guinness said:
XFlak said:
@guinness,
Code:

what form of windows are you running? i know on vista i was having the same issues, then i switched to windows 7 ultimate, an that already had all the frame work needed. if thats possible you might want to try that.

Would be useful to let you know that
rolleyes.gif
unfortunately windows 7 ultimate is what I'm using.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guinness said:
shortz1994 said:
guinness said:
XFlak said:
@guinness,
Code:

Would be useful to let you know that
rolleyes.gif
unfortunately windows 7 ultimate is what I'm using.
well damn, that sucks.. at a lost then.. not that computer savvy.
closedeyes.gif
Oh wait heres the virus.
biggrin.gif
it removes every thing so you can't mod..

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@totalnoob617,
crediar dropped dios mios, then surprised everyone by releasing dios mios lite (not much of a surprise since a beta of it was unforunately leaked). dios mios lite is closed source, so no one is going to be able to pick up where he left off. However, I'm sure if someone had the skills to work on something like this, crediar might make an exception and share his closed source work with him. Only way to find out is by asking him though.

Dios Mios only works with sneek+di.

there are 3 usb-loaders that can run on sneek+di or uneek+di. JoyFlow, JoyLoader GX, and Cfg JoyLoader (or something like that). However, if using s\uneek+di u can load games via the di menu without a usb-loader (di menu is a simple text menu that appears overtop of the emulated wii system menu allowing u to select a game).

Emulated nands might be a littler slower, all apps might not work on them, but it will never run out of space. For the most part is has perfect compatability with wii games and wiiware\vc games. And, if u ever do anything that would normally cause a brick, u won't brick since u only made a change to the data on the sd card or hard drive (emulated nand).

triiforce and mighty channels are great, but their compatability still isn't as good as just using any form of sneek

No one's calling you a liar, but maybe u are mistaken at the cause of your problems. While it may be true that malwarebytes is flagging ModMii as a virus, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is one (could be a false-positive). I said I would look into it, but I don't think u need to scare people away from using ModMii. It's been tested on thousands of different PCs... 1 person with a problem compared to thousands without a single problem... sorry, but you're statistically insignificant. So I don't think anyone should be scared of getting a virus by using ModMii. But like I said, I will look into this by installing malwarebytes on my PC and doing some digging, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

@guinness,
you say you can't find that folder anywhere... but are you sure you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed? Can you check?

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thanks xflak

@shorts1994 ,no im not saying that i am not going to use it and i am in no way trying to slam or be disrespectful to xflack or un appreciative of xflak or his work , and im not suggesting that other people shouldnt use it, i am only telling you what happened and how i fixed it

@burton oh yea right haha it doesnt matter if its the best av and i have nortons which is supposed to be really good, it dont find everything ,thats why i use malwarebytes
it has found viruses before that my av and a friends av didnt find ,and it doesnt mean its his computer at all ,like i said it could be where the file is being hosted ,maybe it got infected after it was uploaded,but imnot computer scientist or security expert ,im just saying what happend to me

i was just reporting my experience ,and i just told how to fix the problem, i told you my av didnt find it but malwarebytes did and removed it,

i never said i dont want to use it or that im going to use something else

and no im not trying to scare anyone away im just saying they should do a malware bytes scan after they use it and see if finds what i am talking about,

thats why i didnt just say it had a virus,and then nothing else , i explained exactly what happend and how to get rid of it

and yea i would have though it was nothing but my pc froze and when i rebooted i got messages saying that my windows defender and nav were disabled
and that my pc had no virus protection, and i know nav is in my startup ,but it didnt start ,then when i tried to start it myself and to start defender they would not open ,and my pc wouldnt even let me open task manager ,this has never happened before, and my first suspect was not modmii,i immediatly thought it was to do with nortons,but the only thing i could run was malwarebyes and after i ran it it came back with 1 infected item and it was modmii,and i run it almost every day and it never finds anything,only nortons finds stuff most of the time, and its always just tracking cookies

here is a pic of my malwarebytes BTW ,maybe someone else can figure out where this thing came from if its not from here then
but this is why i said that

malwarebytes_snip.JPG

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
totalnoob617 said:
Dude, the nature of ModMii is to DOWNLOAD files from the web and Nintendo Servers via a very well written batch menu and utilities like wget nusd etc... This is also a nature similar to a ton of true trojan downloaders out there. In this case, it's a false positive, nothing more, nothing less.

That said, your PC is crawlling otherwise dude... Someone ain't practicing safe surfing..... I'm off to scrub my PC just in case it catches anything from my post touching your post... Ewwww!
wtf.gif

Edit, for those who are truly paranoid, run ModMii in a virtual sandbox and you'll see all that it does. Pretty benign stuff.

-[]D

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring all of totalnoob's unrelated infections, malwarebytes still bitches about Modmii.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7548

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

8/23/2011 8:26:22 PM
mbam-log-2011-08-23 (20-26-16).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 1
Time elapsed: 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
b:\wii homebrew\ModMii\ModMii.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> 4160 -> No action taken.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
b:\wii homebrew\ModMii\ModMii.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> No action taken.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well then if norton security suite is not good then what about kapersky?
i had mcafee and that thing suuuukkksss,what POS that is ,it would open a huge window that would block everything and i couldnt close it even going into task manager and closing all but essential processes it was still there ,plus it slowed the pc down to a point where it was not even usable,

and i just found it strange that the computer froze after,and, when win7 has been stable pretty much, then when it rebooted it didnt run my av on startup which it always does,and was giving me messages that i had no av protection, then when i tried to open norton or defender,which i never use, it wouldnt open, only after running malwarebytes and removing the 1 infected object and restarting did norton work again

and after i cleaned it with malwarebytes and deleted modmii ,i tried to download modmii again and the same exact thing happened ,i then ran malwarebytes again and it was gone and pc and av were working again
also the second time i downloaded it and saved it to disc ,the modmii installer would not download modmii, it said to check internet and firewall settings, and i disabled my firewall and it still wouldnt work
only after i deleted it and ran it from its location did it finally work, but the 1st time i used it i saved the installer to my desktop and it worked fine,i dont know why it wouldnt work the second time after i saved the installer to my desktop

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
totalnoob617 said:
i has mcafee and thing suuuukkksss,what POS that it ,it would open a huge window that would block everything and i couldnt close it even going into task manager and closing all but essentiol processes it was still there ,plus it slowed the pc down to a point it was not even usable,
and i just found it strange that the computer froze after, when win7 has been stable pretty much then when it rebooted it didnt run my av on startup which it always does,and was giving me messages that i had no av protection, then when i tried to open norton or defender,which i never use, it wouldnt open, only after running malwarebytes and removing the 1 infected object and restarting did norton work again

and after i cleaned it with malwarebytes and deleted modmii ,i tried to download modmii again and the same exact thing happened ,i then ran malwarebytes again and it was gone and pc and av were working again
also the second time i downloaded it and saved it to disc ,the modmii installed would not download modmii, it said to check internet and firewall settings, and i disabled my firewall and it still wouldnt work
only after i deleted it and ran it from its location did it finally work, but the 1st time i used it i saved the installer to my desktop and it worked fine,i dont know why it wouldnt work the second time when i tried to save it to my desktop

probably has to do with all of that other crazy sh*t you have going on from the looks of that scan result you posted o.O

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Old8oy said:
totalnoob617 said:
i has mcafee and thing suuuukkksss,what POS that it ,it would open a huge window that would block everything and i couldnt close it even going into task manager and closing all but essentiol processes it was still there ,plus it slowed the pc down to a point it was not even usable,
and i just found it strange that the computer froze after, when win7 has been stable pretty much then when it rebooted it didnt run my av on startup which it always does,and was giving me messages that i had no av protection, then when i tried to open norton or defender,which i never use, it wouldnt open, only after running malwarebytes and removing the 1 infected object and restarting did norton work again

also the second time i downloaded it and saved it to disc ,the modmii installed would not download modmii, it said to check internet and firewall settings, and i disabled my firewall and it still wouldnt work
only after i deleted it and ran it from its location did it finally work, but the 1st time i used it i saved the installer to my desktop and it worked fine,i dont know why it wouldnt work the second time when i tried to save it to my desktop

probably has to do with all of that other crazy sh*t you have going on from the looks of that scan result you posted o.O
seconded

Btw, I installed and ran malwarebytes on my laptop yesterday. It flagged every single ModMii.exe version I had saved there. However, it did not flag any versions of ModMii before it got converted to an exe. I even tried building a ModMii.exe without any other apps bundled with it, and malwarebytes still flagged it as a virus. So basically I could start distributing the batch file instead of an exe... but then I wouldn't be able to use ModMii's icon. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of contacting malwarebytes and trying to get them to do a deep analysis of ModMii, that way they might add it as an exception to their scans (and eventually the exception should filter its way to all the popular AVs). Anyways, we'll see what happens.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Can anyone who has gotten false positives for ModMii please write instructions for adding ModMii to an exceptions list for whatever AV you're using? When finished please either PM the instructions to me or post them here. Eventually I'll organize all the instructions and put them in the first post.

Thanks.

edit: I guess I can't take all the credit:
QUOTE said:
Message Forwarded From JoostinOnline

QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
You might consider PM'ing some people who you trust and who have gotten false positives for ModMii and ask them to write instructions for adding ModMii to an exceptions list for whatever AV they have.

I'd help myself, but Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't report it. I'm going to run a full scan with Windows Defender (if a quick scan doesn't pick it up) to check if it reports ModMii. If it does report it and you are interested, I'll write some directions for it.
That's actually a great idea!
You mean for an American, right? Lol.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
Can anyone who has gotten false positives for ModMii please write instructions for adding ModMii to an exceptions list for whatever AV you're using? When finished please either PM the instructions to me or post them here. Eventually I'll organize all the instructions and put them in the first post.

Thanks.
You must be a sexy genius to have come up with such a great idea.
wink.gif

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to contribute on virus, but today I downloaded and ran it; my virus detector did not give any errors (or may be that netbook did not have a virus detector).

I think off-line installation of IOS236 did not work, even tough it said OK. Why? Wad manager refused to install all the necessary wads. This is my first attempt using MODMII from scratch to hack a wii. (I used Modmii to get load of custom IOS's wads earlier, was really happy with it).

My question: Does MODMII use Dr Clipper's IOS236 installer without the joke (asking whether you are going to use pirated games or not or some such thing)?Because this time it did not ask.

Thanks

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nunavat2010 said:
Nothing to contribute on virus, but today I downloaded and ran it; my virus detector did not give any errors (or may be that netbook did not have a virus detector).

I think off-line installation of IOS236 did not work, even tough it said OK. Why? Wad manager refused to install all the necessary wads. This is my first attempt using MODMII from scratch to hack a wii. (I used Modmii to get load of custom IOS's wads earlier, was really happy with it).

My question: Does MODMII use Dr Clipper's IOS236 installer without the joke (asking whether you are going to use pirated games or not or some such thing)?Because this time it did not ask.

Thanks

Did it install some of the wads?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, you hi too