Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The installer is safe, just disable your antivirus for 1 min during the install.

Or... because It's a self extracting archive, u can even open it with winrar and run the installer bat file directly

Or if you prefer, just download and extract any zipped version of ModMii and it will update to the latest version just fine.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
My signature is not the primary means to distribute the software, and nothing is being shoved down your throat. When people search for ModMii, 99.99% of them will not be directed to my signature. There is a first post for a reason. There are 2 webpages for a reason, there are auto updates for a reason, there are Google code and SourceForge pages for a reason.

U may not have realized, but I've been largely inactive at gbatemp, I came out of hibernation to make sure ModMii and other apps don't break, not to adjust my signature. U sir, do not get a vote.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
My signature is not the primary means to distribute the software, and nothing is being shoved down your throat. When people search for ModMii, 99.99% of them will not be directed to my signature There is a first post for a reason. There are 2 webpages for a reason, there are auto updates for a reason, there are Google code and SourceForge pages for a reason.

U may not have realized, but I've been largely inactive at gbatemp, I came out of hibernation to make sure ModMii and other apps don't break, not to adjust my signature. U sir, do not get a vote.
I'm sorry xFlac. It was a poorly worded post I made back there and I apologize.
But maybe consider changing services? Like I said, it doesn't affect me but it might affect some newbie. And I'm sure you don't want that.
Thanks for taking the time to update your software.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: DeadlyFoez

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
They've done this multiple times. Nothing's stopping them from doing it again.

LMAO at linking to the SourceForge hosted installer.
XFlak has full control over the installer. It's just a direct download to the installer he made years ago. If you had any sense, you'd know that.

I had no idea that posting my concern was against the rules.
When you start posting misinformation as an attempt to spread panic, it becomes a concern.

I can't tell if you're a troll, or just an idiot, but either way this needs to stop.

Reactions: XFlak

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you start posting misinformation as an attempt to spread panic, it becomes a concern.
How the fuck is saying "I don't wanna risk my system" Posting misinformation "as an attempt to spread panic"? You're taking my post way out of context!

XFlak has full control over the installer.
Now you come out and say that? After all of the badgering? Wow, just wow.

Reactions: Brawl345

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This discussion is stupid.
@XFlak just gave us a heads up. Thats it.

Thanx for your support so far Xflak..
Maybe as a last gesture to stop the drama you can edit your GBAtemp signature (or not ;)) but that is up to you ofcource.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
How the fuck is saying "I don't wanna risk my system" Posting misinformation "as an attempt to spread panic"? You're taking my post way out of context!
You suggested that there was even a chance of getting malware from downloading the ModMii installer, even though it's been proven safe for years.
Now you come out and say that? After all of the badgering? Wow, just wow.
If you had any experience with Sourceforge, you'd know that. I didn't think I needed to state it.

Anyway, I've tried the installer myself (again) and it works just fine.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Just to be clear. I wrote the installer from scratch. There is zero malware and zero ads in it. There is zero possibility of SourceForge altering it. Even if they were to create an alternate installer without my knowledge (which the chances of that are pretty slim) it would be a totally different installer with a totally different download link. The download links to the installer are direct, no different than links to a zip file or a gif, it will not be overwritten or changed without my say so. This is EXACTLY the same set up I had going on Google code. Totally safe.

Edit:
just to be perfectly clear, the installer poses NO risk to your system. It should not even be a concern (I would agree that anything to the contrary is misleading if not misinformation). If you are concerned, u can see the source code of the installer here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/modmii/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/ModMii Installer/ModMii Installer.bat

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: cyb0rg

trism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mad props for this tool, XFlak, much appreciated. I had my Wii hacked years ago and recently borked the whole thing up. Found this tool when looking into re-hacking and it makes the process so much easier! I used it about a month ago and everything went swimmingly, but about a week ago when I tried to get Nintendont to work with USB Loader GX I messed it all up again. Looked into it earlier today and found where the Configurable USB Loader has been being updated (its not on the 'official' google code page), and it can now load using Nintendont.

So I got ModMii again and chose the same settings that I used last time, but this time the 'COPY_TO_USB' folder stays empty. I've tried a few times, completely deleting the temp and COPY_TO_ folders, but each time the COPY_TO_USB folder stays empty when all is said and done.

I took a look at the actual source code to try figure it out myself, and that's when I had even more respect for you and this project. That is one hell of a batch file!!!! I couldn't quite pin down what my problem could be. Any help you could throw my way would be appreciated.

I choose to setup my USB Loader and tell it I want to use my USB drive, and it creates the COPY_TO_USB folder, but it seems to put the 'usb-loader' files still in the COPY_TO_SD folder. Using 6.3.6 of ModMii.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just wanted to add that I tried using ModMii with just the 'USB-Loader Setup' part and it does the same thing I'm afraid, makes the COPY_TO_USB folder but it stays empty.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
put out a minor update to 6.3.7 to fix the problem, try it again now

and if you're curious to see the changes in the source it's documented here. Not a whole lot of changes, but still took awhile to figure out where the issue was. ModMii is a beast! Looking back on this project years after it's completion makes me appreciate just how truly crazy I was to create such a monstrous batch file! There are parts of it that are less sophisticated that I can tell I wrote when I was just starting out, and other parts that are pretty efficient (as far as batch files go) that I can tell I wrote near the end of the project after gaining more experience points. Almost like it was written by two different people, XFlak junior vs XFlak senior, lol.

...on a related note, what format you choosing for your HDD? If using NTFS, ModMii will save usb-loader files to the SD card for greater functionality. Only certain forwarder channels are able to launch apps from an NTFS HDD, but even then, the app itself won't be able to load config files from NTFS, so all your settings will be default settings. So basically, if you want to have full functionality and avoid requiring an SD card, use FAT32, not NTFS.

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: trism

trism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response XFlak, your fix worked like a charm. Glad to hear that even you had trouble pinning that down =) I'm using FAT32 and a USB, since that is what is recommended and it seems to be the most straightforward. Use Wii Backup Manager to put Wii games larger than 4GB on the USB drive, everything is gravy.

Have to admit, I've never seen a batch file that big, or really even close to one that big. It's also kind of complicated, most batch files are pretty small and straightforward, you almost use it as it's own scripting language. Mad respect. Cheers for applying the quick fix, too!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Your comment about ModMii almost being its own scripting language made me think that you might be interested to learn that ModMii accepts command line arguments. In fact, ModMii Skin is just a gui (also written in batch, lol) that sends arguments to ModMii (aka ModMii Classic). So really the gui could've been written in any language, but since I don't know any other languages I used batch. On a side note, I'm learning python, and hopefully one day more complex stuff.

So the story behind why I used one big batch file is actually an interesting one. Originally I had the bat converted to an exe to keep the source relatively hidden (people had to pm me to learn to use the argument "decompiler" to extract the source) so that other people wouldn't tweak the source and re-release it as something dangerous. Then there was a whole conflict, and admitedly I was in the wrong, so I made the source easier to get. At that point I could've done what most people do when writing batch and just have a bunch of bat files called by the main script. But I didn't to intentionally keep the code as complicated as possible to make it difficult for anyone else to work with the code and introduce dangerous bugs either intentionally or by accident. Basically it was my unsophisticated attempt at obfuscating the code.

Reactions: trism

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...