Hacking Best Slot1 + Slot2 combo for me

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. My son already has a DS Lite with SC Lite and SuperKey. I am getting a DS of my own. I have had good experiences with his Supercard Lite, besides a few GBA games not playing. I would hate to miss out on GBA games, otherwise I would ditch Slot2 altogether. I want a Slot1 and Slot2 device and I am considering price, download play compatibility, Opera Browser compatibility, and GBA compatibility (SLOT2).

I was tempted to get a DS One and a Supercard Lite because of price, but I already have this brand for my son's DS. I was considering CycloDS for Download play. And I know that the SC lite is a decent performer for GBA, and there may be better performers for GBA, but the SC lite has been an all around good slot2 card for me.

What's your suggestions?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, if you believe that SC lite is decent for gba, your stamdards are too low.
The best slot 2 card in terms of GBA compatibility is the EZIV Lite Deluxe.
it also sits almost flush(maybe a stick out of 0.1 mm) in the ds lite and has the same type of glossy finish.
the best slot 1 card considering price would be the R4.
The cyclo ds is a new product and we should still wait and see how it turns out.
The DS-X was like that at release and had great support but now theyre just a horror to behold. I hope that CycloDS team dont go the same way but you never know.

To recap, R4 + EZIV Lite DELUXE(very important, nondeluxe is slightly different) would be recommendation

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The best slot 2 card in terms of GBA compatibility is the EZIV Lite Deluxe.
it also sits almost flush(maybe a stick out of 0.1 mm) in the ds lite and has the same type of glossy finish.

To recap, R4 + EZIV Lite DELUXE(very important, nondeluxe is slightly different) would be recommendation

It's actually more than that
tongue.gif
At least half a millimeter

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So CycloDS is still new and needs to mature huh? And EZFlash IV Deluxe handles GBA the best? I like the R4, but Download Play has not been a strong point in R4 or SC One. Thanks

qwertyasdf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I were you, I would get a EZ Flash package from http://www.emvee.ca/ $66US shipped gets you the EZFlash slot 1, Kingston 1GB microSD card, and the famous EZFlash 3-in-1 for slot 2. This price usually just gets you a slot 1 solution, so bascialy you're getting the slot 2 for free with this package.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. My son already has a DS Lite with SC Lite and SuperKey. I am getting a DS of my own. I have had good experiences with his Supercard Lite, besides a few GBA games not playing. I would hate to miss out on GBA games, otherwise I would ditch Slot2 altogether. I want a Slot1 and Slot2 device and I am considering price, download play compatibility, Opera Browser compatibility, and GBA compatibility (SLOT2).

I was tempted to get a DS One and a Supercard Lite because of price, but I already have this brand for my son's DS. I was considering CycloDS for Download play. And I know that the SC lite is a decent performer for GBA, and there may be better performers for GBA, but the SC lite has been an all around good slot2 card for me.

What's your suggestions?
if you dont care for having alot of gba games at once then just get the ez flash v 3 in 1, its a cheap slot 2 flash card that holds 1 gba game at a time, it was made to go with the ez flash v (slot 1 card) so that it could play gba roms, but it has been hacked to work on all slot 1 flash cards, its a cheap $20 dollar attachement that you can use on your slot 1 flash card to play gba roms, and then after that get any slot 1 flash card to go with it.

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. Funny, I was just wondering while at work, if the EZ Flash 3 in 1 expansion pack would cure my GBA fix; I'm not sure if GBA compatibility is the same on 3in1 vs EZ IV. And... Does the 3in1 sit flush like dust cover and SC and others? That could be an issue as I have no dust cover and prefer the "closed" look with the dust cover being flush and matching color.... anal stuff.... The 3in1 does look like a cheaper solution because it doesn't require a microsd card.

Also.. I have gotten used to the "realtime save" feature of Supercard lite that allows button combination for basically a "save state" so you don't have to wait for a save point ingame. Are there any similar features on 3in1?

Since I have gotten used to the SuperCard, there were maybe 3 or 4 GBA games that wouldn't play... Super SF2 Turbo, Tekken Advance... and some others; but many great games work; DC Countries, other snes ports to GBA. Now SNES emulation is getting better, but still layers are faulty.

I was wondering if I had 2 of the same slot2 flashcards (SC) in 2 devices in my house, would download play work???

That's why I am still leaning towards CycloDS for 100% DOWNLOAD PLAY compatability, no other slot1 has that.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is no save state in the 3in1. The size of the dustcover is practically the same as the 3in1, with the latter being a tiny bit larger.

By download play, I guess you actually mean multi-card play (download play is for a single card to another DS without the game). It will work regardless of card.

If you're looking for actual download play (1 card multiplayer), the CycloDS is probably the only way to go for a slot 1 card.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
If I was you I would buy a SC-ONE for 38USD with a 1GB Kingston from dealextreme(link in my sig). For Slot 2 I would buy the EZF 4 Lite Deluxe. Both are really good in terms of compatibility. If you really want download play buy a CycloDS

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So "Download Play" is only if one device does not have the game loaded. So ANY solution, slot1 or slot2 will play "multi-card" without a problem? Am I getting this correctly, because my son has a DS and he and I and my wife will play them together. There would be very little of the "Download Play" unless other kids have an unpatched DS, which is not really a concern of mine. So maybe I need to ditch my concern of "Download Play" from CycloDS, I can focus more on price.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As long as you all have copies of the real game, or ROMs running from any card, multiplayer will work. The only problem with multiplayer is download play titles, which some games only work on select cards (with CycloDS Evo with 100%)

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Download play is basically sending a small fragment of the game to another DS. Yeah, don't bother with download play, I never really got why people care about it so much. Multi card will work fine on anything, patched or unpatched.

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download play is basically sending a small fragment of the game to another DS. Yeah, don't bother with download play, I never really got why people care about it so much. Multi card will work fine on anything, patched or unpatched.

Sweet!! This changes everything. I now like the EZ V combo for $55 at dealextreme, so cheap comes with memory, and can use for Opera Browser. Still might go all out though. Now that Download Play is not a necessity, I will re evaluate all of the slot1 cards, as they are all much cheaper than CycloDS. And maybe go for great GBA slot2 also, but it seems that EZ V combo should do me.

Thanks Guys

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The R4 is better than the EZV, IMO. It's faster to load, has a spring loaded MicroSD (some issues there), and the EZV doesn't have a spring, so it's a bit hard to remove sometimes.

EZV has to save state, load the game, which overall takes like 10 sec just to load the game. R4 saves directly on to the MicroSD in real time, loading a big game (Pokemon Diamond) takes around 4 sec, small ones takes around 1-2 max.

If you value speed, get the R4. Skinning is great for both.

DLDI auto patching for R4 1.10 kernel, not for EZV yet if I'm not mistaken.

R4 + 3 in 1 makes a great combo. I've got it and it runs perfectly.

Oh, don't worry, 3 in 1 compatibility is 100% with GBA games. Though just one at a time.

sumpm1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the GBAtemp review of the R4, many homebrews are not supported, perhaps this has changed with DLDI. I really want GBA support, and now that I know that ALL cards will support multi-card play, I may just look at an old slot2 solution. The only reason is that 3in1 has no GBA realtime save. On the other hand, my son has an SC Lite, so I could just borrow his when I get into a GBA game, could get annoying though. I am confusing myself even more.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
GBATemp's review is from the launch date last year, so it's quite outdated. Homebrews are well supported on the R4 (not all though).

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4+EZ Flash 3 in 1 is what I have, it's great. Plays GBA Games and runs Opera perfectly. My DS is my one stop machine, lol. I've got games, movies, music and internet. Wish it had a phone built in with that mic, heh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: sup nerds