Country
United States
Reactions: mikefor20

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I would go with a Ryzen 1800X, any X370 mobo, 16GB or 32GB of DDR4, a 3TB HDD, a 500GB or 1TB SSD, A GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, a G-Sync monitor with a high refresh rate, and a 850 watt gold rated PSU.

Reactions: mikefor20

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The one you make yourself.

There's been some pretty sweet deals on prebuilts that would be up to twice as much as building it yourself.

Especially with the obnoxious markup on GPUs and RAM as of late.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nice, I appreciate the input so far. He seems to be unreachable for a day or 2. I'll let you all know what his real price is

If he's not in TOO big of a hurry, I suggest hovering in buildapcsales and pcmasterrace on reddit. That's where I see some pretty insane deals. Actually saw an Alienware PC with an i7/GTX1070/16GB DDR4/1TB HDD/128 SSD for ~$1000. Still would need a monitor and better KB/M but trying to build a comparable PC around that price point these days is tough.

Last edited by Kioku,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If your friend is into mining, for $16,000 he can get the Baikal Giant B, which can earn you up to $25K in Bitcoin/month, apparently.
Make sure to grab a motherboard with at least 2 PCI-E slots, because you'll want an SLI setup.
Looks like it's actually cheaper at $9000, but the profits are nowhere near that. That's got nothing to do with this thread though.
some i9 chip
dual 1080ti
128GB of ram
2000W bitcion psu
a motherboard
water cooling

running on OpenBSD
SLI is overrated, the performance gain is not worth the price.
He's not broke and he said " What's the best I can get??" I askes price but he wouldn't tell me. So I guess best possible. And if you like maybe one that's top of the line but reasonable expectations. It needs to play everything out there in full resolution, FPS etc etc.
What kind of monitor is he using? Or is he buying a new one?
Unless he's doing 4k@100hz or something even crazier, he really doesn't need anything better than a 1080 Ti.
The setup @viral777 suggested is plenty for gaming at 4K or high refresh rate (but probably not both)
Maybe put some more RAM in in the future (so get 2x8GB sticks now and leave 2 slots free assuming the mobo has 4 slots) but currently RAM is overpriced so there's no point in filling up all the slots right away. You could even get away with a single 8GB stick for now, which should be enough for gaming, but 16GB minimum is suggested for multitasking.
some i9 chip
dual 1080ti
128GB of ram
2000W bitcion psu
a motherboard
water cooling

running on OpenBSD
i9 is worse for gaming than an i7.
It's just a hypothetical. He isn't concerned with price. He was looking at a $2000 PC and thought it was not good enough so..
I always say this, but getting the very top-end components comes with a hefty price premium, at only a slightly better performance than the components just below that. So it's best not to go all-out right away and instead save some money for upgrades later on.
That being said computer hardware is really expensive right now so $2000 actually doesn't get you a whole lot.... might be best to wait a little.
Personally I would go with a Ryzen 1800X, any X370 mobo, 16GB or 32GB of DDR4, a 3TB HDD, a 500GB or 1TB SSD, A GTX 1080 or 1080Ti, a G-Sync monitor with a high refresh rate, and a 850 watt gold rated PSU.
Ryzen is worse for gaming.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd endorse this, if the friend is looking for something small. Although I would personally include the Ryzen 7 1700X for a build like this, just for the sake of overhead
I figure 6-cores might be plenty enough, but otherwise I think this configuration works good as a baseline that you can scale up or down depending on what you need most and what you can afford. Realistically you'd shop around for components such as ram and PSU to find a good deal anyways - but you only have a handful of mobos to pick from with AM4, and not all have Wifi.

I do love the mini cases though. Crossfire/SLI is obsolete so you don't need room for more cards - the only thing this setup is missing is an internal DVD drive, but I never even used my USB one. This other case will support a DVD drive if you need one

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

PoppaDre

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
New intel chipset is coming out soon. I’d probably wait for that. Not that much selection for z370 right now

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like it's actually cheaper at $9000, but the profits are nowhere near that. That's got nothing to do with this thread though.

SLI is overrated, the performance gain is not worth the price.

What kind of monitor is he using? Or is he buying a new one?
Unless he's doing 4k@100hz or something even crazier, he really doesn't need anything better than a 1080 Ti.
The setup @viral777 suggested is plenty for gaming at 4K or high refresh rate (but probably not both)
Maybe put some more RAM in in the future (so get 2x8GB sticks now and leave 2 slots free assuming the mobo has 4 slots) but currently RAM is overpriced so there's no point in filling up all the slots right away. You could even get away with a single 8GB stick for now, which should be enough for gaming, but 16GB minimum is suggested for multitasking.

i9 is worse for gaming than an i7.

I always say this, but getting the very top-end components comes with a hefty price premium, at only a slightly better performance than the components just below that. So it's best not to go all-out right away and instead save some money for upgrades later on.
That being said computer hardware is really expensive right now so $2000 actually doesn't get you a whole lot.... might be best to wait a little.

Ryzen is worse for gaming.
Actually, SLI is great on middle end graphics cards because SLI + Pretty Decent Graphics Card > Megasaur Graphics card. Probably a good idea, actually, since cards are so overpriced.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Make sure to get an ATX case so it can fit as much as possible. You'll want an ATX board as well.
Make sure to grab one with X in the name, since it'll be overclockable (example: X99).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually, SLI is great on middle end graphics cards because SLI + Pretty Decent Graphics Card > Megasaur Graphics card. Probably a good idea, actually, since cards are so overpriced.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Make sure to get an ATX case so it can fit as much as possible. You'll want an ATX board as well.
Make sure to grab one with X in the name, since it'll be overclockable (example: X99).
Sure, but not the dual 1080ti he was suggesting :P
Though, at the point you need that kind of performance you don't really have any other choice anyway. But you'd need a pretty badass monitor to take good advantage of that.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a 750watts powersuply is more than enough, even a 650 out be fine...
It depends on how much stuff you're going to plug into it. If op is going to have 3+ cards, then he should invest in a 900 watt PSU. If he will have 4 cards, he should go for a 1000-1500 watt, depending on the card. Remember, a 1080 Ti will pull 250-300+ watts under full load, and on top of that you've got the Motherboard, CPU, Drives, Fans/pumps, and LEDs (in order of decreasing power consumption) to feed, so there's a lot.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The thing is I find SLI/Crossfire support to be a bit hit or miss, and can be replaced by a single 1080 in 90% of cases. Off the top of my head even attempting SLI/Crossfire would mean you are aiming for 4k+, at which the cost for the monitor ill far outweigh your savings.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so, I'm making a list of very good components. I recommend you pick these, or ones like this.
CPU: I recommend an Intel Core i7-8700K. While you could waste $2000 on an i9 X Series, the amount of performance gain for gaming would be so negligible, there is almost no reason to get one.
GPU: NVIDIA Titan V, if you have patience. If not, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X
RAM: 32-64GB DDR4. I really don't see any reason to use any more, as it would be bottlenecked by the fact that you only have 1 processor, and games should never use that much.
PSU (power supply): Depends on how many video cards you are going to have. 2-3 (depends on card) should get a 1000W Corsair HX1000i. 4 Should grab a 1200W Corsair AX1200i or 1500W Corsair AX1500i (really depends on the card, if using Titans, grab that last one, if using something else, grab the 1200W). I recommend Corsair, they make great power supplies and I really recommend them.
Case: Now, this is difficult, pick one that suits your friend's style. There are a lot of different types, from uber-power-cooled to ultra-flashy-superled. Whatever you pick, make sure it is ATX size (not microATX!), and make sure it has enough drive bays to suit him.
Drives: Again, up to preference. If your friend wants to store EVERYTHING on his computer, maybe go for a high-capacity HDD. If he wants faster performance, go for an SSD (will have lower capacity).
Good ones to look for: (HDD) Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" PRO: 4-12TB
If you want an SSD, you should probably go for M.2, Samsung has a lot.

Even if you're thinking differently, I really think that you should get that specific CPU. With no price limit in mind, that one is perfect.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It depends on how much stuff you're going to plug into it. If op is going to have 3+ cards, then he should invest in a 900 watt PSU. If he will have 4 cards, he should go for a 1000-1500 watt, depending on the card. Remember, a 1080 Ti will pull 250-300+ watts under full load, and on top of that you've got the Motherboard, CPU, Drives, Fans/pumps, and LEDs (in order of decreasing power consumption) to feed, so there's a lot.
got a 1080ti overclocked by factory + 7700k + 3 hdds + nvme +280mm AIO in load this thing doesn't go over 600 watts both in games or running miners

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings