Hardware Best device to stream movies to TV

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a device to stream all the many films on my PC to my non-smart flatscreen TV.
I'm lookin for something cheap and doesnt need to be too flashy, its for a five year old so don't need all the netflix and all that, just something that can simply stream movies over my wireless network to a tv.

Any ideas anyone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Sony set-top box, SMP-N100 it was like $50 at my local store. It works pretty well if you set up a media server like TVersity or mezzmo on your PC.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are the movies in iTunes or simply files in a folder?
There not in iTunes so appleTV is out of the question, plus I hate apple with a passion. I just want to basically samba share them to a external media hub

Ok hate is a strong word, i just hate the fact that i can't mess with the os

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can do pretty well with XBMC and I am told the raspberry pi versions do quite good for this sort of thing too (I assume you have a spare HDMI port). Control varies from network (if they have a cheap android thing then it could do) to quite a few USB IR remotes.

All in assuming you have a cable, want wireless and want an IR remote you can probably do it for under £50.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A Raspberry Pi would work well enough, though the wait time for one can be generally long depending on availability.

XBMC has been ported to Android as well, so an alternative would be some sort of Android device with an HDMI output if you can't wait for the Pi. I've seen one of these in action and I have to say they are quite useful. The best possible thing to do with these is install XBMC, then set it to launch the app on boot so you don't have to deal with a keyboard/mouse, and have an XBMC Remote app on another device so you can easily control the thing and you'd have a small and easy to use media center.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
android devices is what I've been looking for but theres quite a few on the market and im guessing more than a few of them are pretty crap, so im trying to find the little gems

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. connect the computer directly to your tv
2. use a xbox 360/ps3 ( it's cheap if you already have one)
3. blu-ray drive ( if you don't have one already, you'll have to buy one anyway)

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
android devices is what I've been looking for but theres quite a few on the market and im guessing more than a few of them are pretty crap, so im trying to find the little gems
Buy an Android Stick PC from amazon, put XBMC on it. if it's junk just pay return shipping and you get a full refund.

I'd recommend at least dual core + 1GB RAM, also check reviews/see if anyone uses XBMC on it.

Also as someone else stated, plug your laptop/desktop directly to your TV (I have mine hooked up to a 27" monitor and my 50" TV".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay