Hacking Best 2TB External Hard Drive for USB Loader GX/Nintendont?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The title mostly says it all, but i'm looking for something at a reasonable price, mainly nothing over $100.
Pretty much anything that's USB 2.0 should work well. USB 3.0 drives have a lot of compatibility issues with USB loaders.
2TB is overkill though, I use a 500GB for my Wii games and it's more than enough. A 1TB drive should fit every Wii and GC game you could ever want.
Last I heard, you can only get about 256 GB working with it...any more wouldn't work AFAIK
What?

TSSableye

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much anything that's USB 2.0 should work well. USB 3.0 drives have a lot of compatibility issues with USB loaders.
2TB is overkill though, I use a 500GB for my Wii games and it's more than enough. A 1TB drive should fit every Wii and GC game you could ever want.

What?

Not sure if that's correct or not, most likely not seeing your reaction to it ;_;

Big Man Tyrone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Forgot to mention this, i'll also be using this for Loadiine once it supports USB.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not sure if that's correct or not, most likely not seeing your reaction to it ;_;
I couldn't think of a better response. Just where did you ever hear such a thing? I don't think USB loaders were ever limited to 256 GB.
Forgot to mention this, i'll also be using this for Loadiine once it supports USB.
Oh, in that case I guess 2TB is reasonable. Don't expect it to get USB support though, we would need an IOSU exploit for that and at this point it's uncertain whether we'll ever get one.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

TSSableye

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't think of a better response. Just where did you ever hear such a thing? I don't think USB loaders were ever limited to 256 GB.

A few threads a while back on Reddit. Wasn't sure if it was true or not, so I just assumed it was. You know what they say about assuming though, makes an ass out of you and me.

Big Man Tyrone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh, in that case I guess 2TB is reasonable. Don't expect it to get USB support though, we would need an IOSU exploit for that and at this point it's uncertain whether we'll ever get one.

Thanks for the info, I might get a 1tb instead

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
latest the only thing I had to do is make another partition fat 32 format with Windows disk manager and put the games into the correct directory usb/games/luigi mansion [GLME01]/game.iso

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
You'll have more luck with a HDD that has it's own power brick for drives over 1TB. (I'm not saying portable drives larger than 1TB won't work, but it depends on how much power they draw. You might have to use a double ended USB cable) As for getting Wii/GC games over use, Wii Backup Manager. It sorts everything out for you, data wise for placing the games.

I use a 1.5TB drive, that I brought over from my wii. The whole drive is formatted to FAT32 with 32K Clusters. Windows can't do that, so you have to use a special program to do so. They're is loads out that that do it for free!

Don't format your HDD to WTFS, that's been fazed since 2012, and has been proven time and time again, if you have lots of games, it'll crash at some point.

urigato3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
latest the only thing I had to do is make another partition fat 32 format with Windows disk manager and put the games into the correct directory usb/games/luigi mansion [GLME01]/game.iso

You could show me how you have your partitions on the disk ? My drive was formatted with many tools and still gives me black screen ( Codedump )

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This is the disk manager program that comes preinstalled with windows the only thing i had to do is to remove some space i wanted to use for gc games from the primary partition and make a new primary partition with the unallocated space that i left.
hard drive partitions.png

Last edited by GR-DRACULA,

urigato3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is the disk manager program that comes preinstalled with windows the only thing i had to do is to remove some space i wanted to use for gc games from the primary partition and make a new primary partition with the unallocated space that i left.
This is your hdd?
Your version of nintendont is 3.400?
But nintendont don't detect my hdd
Sorry for my english

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160617-064842.png
    Screenshot_20160617-064842.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 291

urigato3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's the same, I received a Codedump help me :(
With the disk manager I can't format in fat 32 just ntfs
I tell you...
My first partition created is ntfs, my second partition of the disk is fat 32 with 32 kb cluster primary and active
I put on this partition the folder games with one game (with tittle code) and game.iso in this folder
When nintendont charge and select usb don't detect my hdd and I select button A and received code dump :(

urigato3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Someone help me?
It's the same, I received a Codedump help me :(
With the disk manager I can't format in fat 32 just ntfs
I tell you...
My first partition created is ntfs, my second partition of the disk is fat 32 with 32 kb cluster primary and active
I put on this partition the folder games with one game (with tittle code) and game.iso in this folder
When nintendont charge and select usb don't detect my hdd and I select button A and received code dump :(

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a reminder, you can't use the external hdd on wii u without formatting it cause the data is encrypted, So you can't use the same hdd for Wii Homebrew gx loaders/ Wiiflow and Wii u homebrew Loadiine (If and when it becomes available)

You will need 2 seperate hdd for each, and some wll require a Y-Cable or some type of power supply for the hdd to even function cause what else? The wii u usb are weak as anyone could have guessed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1