Hardware Beloved Red Wii struggles with 480 progressive! Drop in/Out

jlorox1995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's it going guys! i have an interesting conundrum with this console!

so i have a red wii, not the mini, the one that came with NSMB that i bought used off eBay to replace my original white one i simply can't access unfortunately (stolen by my family!)

i might just need a new wii? but interestingly i cannot get this system (tried 2 component) to STAY PUT AT 480P instead of 480i LOL . Doing some digging online, all the way back to 2007, ive come across similar issues with 0 resolves to them, leading me to believe the people just gave up & got a new wii. LOL. i guess some of them have an A/V port issue? basically the issue is my sets (ive tried 3 different TVS now) all accept 480p and i even got Smash Melee to force progressive scan using homebrew (drops in & out every 3 seconds adjusting the resolution internally) but if i switch it to EDTV in the wii system menu i end up with no signal or it stays at 480i until i open something in which it struggles to stay locked in at 480p and seems to want to switch to a different resolution and fights with itself endlessly it's unplayable.

Has anyone else ever encountered this and fixed it? My old wii did 480p just fine with these cables it seems like an issue with this used one i like the visual upgrade over interlaced i think it's worth it to fix but TL;DR my one personal wii strangely cannot output at 480p & ive never come across anyone with the issue (they're out there!) >successfully< resolve the issue, it's probably an internal hardware malfunction

thank you so much!!

Attachments

• 8ED953C3-B27A-4855-B2A6-A44615E0A8DB.png
    8ED953C3-B27A-4855-B2A6-A44615E0A8DB.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 679AE657-B145-433F-823C-268F88FACD3F.png
    679AE657-B145-433F-823C-268F88FACD3F.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 33
  • E1F97B8E-EE76-42B6-9C54-43E40A33B1FF.png
    E1F97B8E-EE76-42B6-9C54-43E40A33B1FF.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • E65F2329-D2E8-4CC0-9725-22A98732AC74.png
    E65F2329-D2E8-4CC0-9725-22A98732AC74.png
    7 MB · Views: 31

cartergamegeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 07 Wii will not output component and I think I know why. Let me guess you likely also can get a clean 480i but the moment you try 480p things go badly. If it is like my Wii it is likely we both need capacitor fixes. It seems component is the first to go once a capacitor goes bad. The fix is in theory easy but also tricky if you have never worked with fixing a motherboard.

Reactions: jlorox1995

jlorox1995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 07 Wii will not output component and I think I know why. Let me guess you likely also can get a clean 480i but the moment you try 480p things go badly. If it is like my Wii it is likely we both need capacitor fixes. It seems component is the first to go once a capacitor goes bad. The fix is in theory easy but also tricky if you have never worked with fixing a motherboard.
yes i was just about to respond to your thread. mine is a red later-on wii but my 07 wii actually WILL output to component just fine, it has those weird pixels but yes my (assuming '10) wii everything goes awry unfortunately! ive stumbled on the same solution-capacitor)
Post automatically merged:

i'm never opened up a wii unfortunately only the smaller handhelds ! i myself might try a different wii because i'm afraid of damaging the motherboard but if you manage to ever fix the capacitor i'll be impressed! i look forward to your journey to fixing it

Last edited by jlorox1995,

jlorox1995

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a weird update:

-got a new job, decided to take a chance and bought a new (used) white early (?) wii only . (contemplated this hard between GC or Wii U)

- wii came

-no component output again only 480i

-bought new dedicated cables

-white wii outputs 480p progressive

it was both of my cables ☹️
curious if the red wii is fine
i feel dumb! but i'm glad i didn't have to open the console and my tv takes the signal

if anyone in the future faces this problem, there's another great thread on here about replacing the caps to output progressive, but for me it was having two universal component cables .

UPDATE: original red console works 😧 it was those old component cables . if this happens to you , it could be the console, or it could be the cables having some sort of interference . now i have an extra wii LOLL

Last edited by jlorox1995,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
just a weird update:

-got a new job, decided to take a chance and bought a new (used) white early (?) wii only . (contemplated this hard between GC or Wii U)

- wii came

-no component output again only 480i

-bought new dedicated cables

-white wii outputs 480p progressive

it was both of my cables ☹️
curious if the red wii is fine
i feel dumb! but i'm glad i didn't have to open the console and my tv takes the signal
I can adopt your extra wii :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto