Question about GC/WII games' output resolutions 480i vs 480

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am playing GC/WII games on a softmodded Wii.

When playing Wii games, If you set the output resolution to 480p in Wii's settings, games that can run in 480p will run at 480p and the rest will run at 480i.

When playing GC games on Wii using Nintendont, Some games will output in 480p and some in 480i...Nintendont has a setting that forces progressive scan on for 480i games but many games are not compatible.

1) Between Wii2HDMI and HD Retrovison's component cable for Wii, which one gives me a better picture ?

2) Can Wii2HDMI convert 480i to 480p ?

3) Besides expensive upscalers, Is there a cheap solution for deinterlacing a 480i signal on Wii ?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Most games (and I mean pretty much every one) I tried on Nintendont with forced Progressive work perfectly fine. You must be doing something wrong if "many games aren't compatible".

Remember that a significant number of PAL games are 50Hz only, you cannot force Progressive Scan with that. 60Hz games do in fact work pretty much always. The only game where I remember having issues forcing 480p was Second Sight, and even then, after the tutorial forcing 480p worked fine.

What games are you talking about?

For Wii games, with USB Loader GX for example one can force 480p on the games that do not support it normally, and besides Metal Slug 6 I think it was on the Metal Slug Anthology, all the others I tried, such as Rune Factory Frontier, Sega Bass Fishing, etc worked fine.

1: I imagine HD Retrovision will give you the better picture quality, as most Wii2HDMIs are made on the cheap and at best they look like component output. They're just an adapter, there's no magic inside, and the ones that supposedly upscaled the image aren't necessarily great, not that they are produced still as far as I know.

2: No. They get whatever signal your Wii outputs, and converts it to HDMI. That's all they do.

3: I don't know of any good one. But there's no need for it unless we're talking 50Hz games, as mentioned pretty much everything I've seen works at 480p, and no one should want to play at 50Hz.

Highthorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had a lot of gamecube games I played that always were in 480i even though I forced 480p, some would black screen or freeze.
Turned out it always was a PAL game that either froze or black screen when forcing 480p.

I swapped all PAL games for NTSC and all my gamecube games now run fine in progressive.
Perhaps that is the case for you.

The official component cables or some really good third party cables gave a bit of a boost in clarity on my 50inch 4k tv compared to wii2hdmi.
Best option still is a mid 2000's lcd/crt or an expensive upscaler but that's not worth it for me.

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I went ahead and ordered one of these GBSC units

I am using the component-in on my GBSC with my PS2...

Can i use a HD Retrovision Wii component cable + this adapter with the VGA-in port on my GBSC unit ?

Can i connect both my PS2 and Wii to my GBSC unit the way i mentioned above and only use one console at a time ?

Last edited by L3gi0n0fh311,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch