Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After seeing CompCom's post, I started testing out different fonts, and created these mock-ups in GIMP:

Menu_mockup_comparison_2.png

Menu_mockup_comparison_1.png

The font I used was NewRodin, for those who are curious. Is there another font that would look better? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

CompCom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have found that the ingame menu image uses two palletes I have just adapted my tool to ignore the second palette as the image can be extracted and reinserted fine using the first palette's data.

inserted_ingame_menu.png

My tool should hopefully almost be ready for release in a few days after a bit more testing and a few tiny bug fixes.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few days, so I decided that I'd post a little update of what I've been working on. I'd been experimenting with some designs for the in-game gui, trying to find the best way to deal with 2 things in particular: the 位 kanji next to the player's rank (which simply means "place"), and the status/ailment icon (in the screenshot, the ailment is "No Summons"). Because of the issue of space, I came up with this solution:
inserted_ingame_menu mockup.png

This is little more than a mockup (I seem to like those for some reason), but I think it shows what I'm trying to go for. Basically I replaced 位 with a trophy, and 召喚 with a silhouette of Akihisa's summon with a little X next to it. (Also, in case you haven't noticed, I edited the image in CompCom's post, so you can use that for comparison.)

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's been a few days, so I decided that I'd post a little update of what I've been working on. I'd been experimenting with some designs for the in-game gui, trying to find the best way to deal with 2 things in particular: the 位 kanji next to the player's rank (which simply means "place"), and the status/ailment icon (in the screenshot, the ailment is "No Summons"). Because of the issue of space, I came up with this solution:
View attachment 10053
This is little more than a mockup (I seem to like those for some reason), but I think it shows what I'm trying to go for. Basically I replaced 位 with a trophy, and 召喚 with a silhouette of Akihisa's summon with a little X next to it. (Also, in case you haven't noticed, I edited the image in CompCom's post, so you can use that for comparison.)
All I can say is: You're a genius.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can say is: You're a genius.

Thanks! I'd been wondering what the best way to handle these things would be, and after talking with BLKMN国人, he suggested an icon instead of text for the ailments. But still remained the 位, and since I couldn't change it to be "st", "nd", "rd", or "th" depending on the player's rank, I just went with a generic trophy. To be honest, I wasn't really sure how either would turn out, but I'm glad that someone else thinks they're good. After CompCom finishes with his Image Tool, I'll be sure to post a bunch of screenshots and add a few to the OP.

Reactions: kagekyo and Hargrun

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How do you think we would do the checkpoint kanji? It does translate to a lot of text to fit on one point.
I haven't really decided on that yet. It IS a lot of text, in some cases (e.g 保健体育 -> Health and Physical Education). I suppose we'll just have to experiment with different fonts, sizes, and widths. After I'm able to start working with the image tool, I'll be able to see just how much space is available to use, and then we can work from there.

Thanks for this project. I'm 100% with it and I appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch! I'm glad to see that there are people who actually want this other than me.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this can help you but the smaller fonts I know are from two Japanese authors...

Yusuke Kamiyamane

Yuji Oshimoto

These fonts aren't quite what I'm looking for, but I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for them somewhere. For now, though, I've decided that condensed fonts are definitely the best way to go. Here's a picture of the fonts I'm considering, sized to fit in place of the text on the mockup image a few posts above:
font test.png

The fonts are, in order:
Tempesta Compressed
Tempesta Compressed Bold
Arial Condensed
Arial Condensed Bold
Steelfish
Steelfish Italic

Personally, I think Steelfish looks the best, so I'm leaning a bit towards that one, but if you have another idea, I'm open to trying other fonts.

Hargrun

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm... I thought using these small fonts one line in Japanese could be transformed into two lines in English if necessary. My bad. :unsure:

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, using two lines completely slipped my mind. I'll have another look, so it may turn out to be a viable option if the character strings become too long. Otherwise, I'm sure we can find a place to use them.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thought I'd give a little update regarding progress. Translation of the menus are mostly complete, and I've attached an updated version of my translations. Working on completing the game so stuff will be able to be tested later is taking a bit of time, but progress is still being made. (If anyone has a 100% save for this game, it would be great if you could send it to me. Otherwise, I'll just do it myself...)

Anyway, as the project stands right now, we're just waiting for the image and script tools to be completed. Until that happens, I'll keep working at what I can do for now.

Attachments

• Menus.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 345
  • Recovery Tests.txt
    890 bytes · Views: 428

Hargrun

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you tried using CWCheats? I tried searching for a 100% save, but I could only find this. May be helpful to create a 100% save or almost 100%.

Oh, well... I can't do much as usual.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With great thanks to Hargrun for linking me to codes for the game, I present a 100% complete save file. So, if any of you out there want to help out with beta testing once we get to that stage of development, you can use this save to watch any of the scenes from the story in the extras menu. But until then, have fun enjoying the Japanese, if you can understand it.

Attachments

• Baka and Test 100% Save File.zip
    190.3 KB · Views: 368

BLKMN国人

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With great thanks to Hargrun for linking me to codes for the game, I present a 100% complete save file. So, if any of you out there want to help out with beta testing once we get to that stage of development, you can use this save to watch any of the scenes from the story in the extras menu. But until then, have fun enjoying the Japanese, if you can understand it.
Sweet. I couldn't beat this on my own. The ai's are too smart. I think they're out to get me. lol

Reactions: Hargrun

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a problem. Though I made it for testing purposes, there's no reason to keep it to myself.

Anyway, I've been working on creating an English logo for the pic1 and icon0, and huzzah, here is my result:

ICON0_final_zps9396e85e.png

I've updated the OP with my English pic1. I've also gotten to work on translating the previously overlooked character descriptions that show up on the character select screen in story mode.

akihisa_desc_mockup_zps6e7670f2.png

Not a real in-game picture, but I didn't want to drop another text file here, so I just made this, to show it in context.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great news! With thanks to CompCom, we are now able to edit/replace images, as well as the story mode scripts. No more mockups, these images are the real-deal:

NPJH50680_00004.pngNPJH50680_00014.png NPJH50680_00023.png NPJH50680_00007.pngNPJH50680_00024.pngNPJH50680_00025.png

So hooray, we can edit stuff now! What we really need now are translators to help translate the script. I have extracted the entire script for the story mode, and we can definitely reinsert the translations back into the game. If you'd like to help, please PM me, and I'll get you set up with everything you'll need (please no machine translators!).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm