Bad Apple for the Nintendo DS

Well, it was about time. It seemed like there was no real Bad Apple rom for the Nintendo DS yet, so I decided to make one.

It runs at 60fps and with 48 kHz stereo audio. I'm using a simple video codec I created just for this video. It simply encodes each frame into a character bg for the ds, merging tiles that are the same into one. Each frame is then LZ77 compressed to reduce the size of the remaining data by about 50%.

Download here if you wanna try for yourself: https://mega.nz/#!dgkmhSiL!5jLs7cIPuYO9R2oXaP8gGepAl9KeAEQ4heBsMl19Lsc

The source of both the player and the encoder can be found here: https://mega.nz/#!xhNQlRqZ!Iez6e-diTYIKyIrjLfXZD2fWJrps0_TPAMWxADaPmak

Update Japanese version here: https://mega.nz/#!tx9gVLQJ!rUCiZhHBDKX4ZB2x07BnlgQAqcUjb26EnnzZcpsF1Bs

Last edited by Gericom,

GolyBidoof

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DUDE, IS THIS A 60FPS 2x256x192 48KHZ VIDEO?!
This is incredible! :O
Hands down, when I saw your YouTube for Nintendo DS in a frame with low resolution and bad audio I'd never think that this is possible

This is the work of a God, seriously
Mad props to you dude

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bad Apple is animation. This homebrew uses an adhoc codec designed just to play this one animation. There are quite a few homebrews to play this particular video on other consoles.
Yea, some people said to me like hey Geri, this video is on every device but not on the ds, make it, and 60fps. And I was like okay, fine. I tried to design something simple to be able to achieve these 60fps. It most likely could be optimized more to bring the filesize down.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
could you make a japenese version as well?
(pretty please) :3
I'll see what I can do for you xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So wouldn't be easier to maybe use the video encoder nintendo been using for their systems, what was it called? Act Imagine or Mobi clip something?
Yes, of course I could have done that, but I would not have been able to reach 60fps most likely and it's a tradition with this video that a custom video codec is used.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, of course I could have done that, but I would not have been able to reach 60fps most likely and it's a tradition with this video that a custom video codec is used.
So is that encoder really that bad, it can't get 60FPS? I mean i guess the idea was compression and reduced frames was result of the goal, so i understand. Cool to be honest, 60FPS video on a low powered system. :)

That mobi clip encoder probably only did good for anime videos since those are never in 60FPS anyway.

Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So is that encoder really that bad, it can't get 60FPS? I mean i guess the idea was compression and reduced frames was result of the goal, so i understand. Cool to be honest, 60FPS video on a low powered system. :)

That mobi clip encoder probably only did good for anime videos since those are never in 60FPS anyway.
I'm not entirely sure but I think 30fps was at least possible with the mobiclip video codec. Also don't get it wrong, mobiclip is not a simple codec. It is a lot like h.264.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
it's a weeb meme
the japanese language adds aesthetic to weeb memes
I personally prefer hearing the original language of any media, because there are lost in translation stuff that transform the intent of the author. The English cover isn't that bad, but calling the topic "Bad Apple for the Nintendo DS" is misleading, since it would have to be called "English cover of Bad Apple for the Nintendo DS" or "Bad Apple animation for the Nintendo DS".

On-topic, this is awesome. I love those kind of homebrew, like the 3D graphic PoC for the Gameboy.

Solid One

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can this be used for romhacking purposes, such as translating Dementium videos per example?

There's a lot of DS games with videos, and no program to encode / decode them, so we can't edit them right now.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can this be used for romhacking purposes, such as translating Dementium videos per example?

There's a lot of DS games with videos, and no program to encode / decode them, so we can't edit them right now.
No, not really. As said, this codec only works for videos like this with huge areas of solid color. If games use mobiclip (mods) something can be done, since I reversed that format, but writing a good encoder is not easy.

Reactions: Solid One

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: