Hacking Atmosphere to be estimated released in Summer 2018 for ALL firmwares.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case it isn't clear: don't upgrade past 4.0.1.

This isn't an excuse to do so, the complications of 5.+ getting CFW running at all are potentially significant and may not be something the average user will want to do or may confer risk on them/their Switch.

So it works on all firmwares then, is it safe to update to 5.0.1 if you are like me and accidentally updated to 5.0?

5.0.0 and 5.0.1 are not different from a security point of view.

Reactions: Milad and keven3477

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So it works on all firmwares then, is it safe to update to 5.0.1 if you are like me and accidentally updated to 5.0?

It will likely only require a user and kernel exploit for any firmware. Or a hardware mod.

Effectively, yea the ability should eventually come for 7.x.x after the CFW is released. Finding kernel exploits may get harder with KASLR and increasing security but since updates can be decrypted I doubt you will not see it on higher firmwares shortly after the summer release.

But nobody can give you an assurance for the future.

Inevitable a hardware mod will come out thou to do this.

There is also this ominous warning for above > 4.1.0 (which I think is just related to the above)

Last edited by Onibi,
Reactions: keven3477

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
wait so i can still get CFW even if I updated to latest? YESS
Yes maybe, but it might be less stable.
Really be patient maybe cfw will allow eshop stuff just wait that an advice take it if you want but at your place I would keep as low as possible.
Also 5.0.x cfw can take longer to be released ^^'

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes maybe, but it might be less stable.
Really be patient maybe cfw will allow eshop stuff just wait that an advice take it if you want but at your place I would keep as low as possible.
Also 5.0.x cfw can take longer to be released ^^'
i mean he said anything above 4.1.0 would be released in summer, but, im not updating for anything anymore. already got kirby, im good.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just in case it isn't clear: don't upgrade past 4.0.1.

This isn't an excuse to do so, the complications of 5.+ getting CFW running at all are potentially significant and may not be something the average user will want to do or may confer risk on them/their Switch.
Do you have any actual details about this? Would be appreciated if you do.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So there is no reason to stay 3.0.0? Cause i want to play below 4.1.0 games

The whole "stay on lower" never made much sense TBH. Once there is an exploit for a newer FW there is no need to stay lower one. It only ever made sense for firmwares that are not hackable (yet). The whole "we release something for lower FW first" was never going to happen if they wanted to release a finished CFW and not just the exploits, since that takes much longer and by that time the FW exploit for any hackable FW would be ready.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
The whole "stay on lower" never made much sense TBH. Once there is an exploit for a newer FW there is no need to stay lower one. It only ever made sense for firmwares that are not hackable (yet). The whole "we release something for lower FW first" was never going to happen if they wanted to release a finished CFW and not just the exploits, since that takes much longer and by that time the FW exploit for any hackable FW would be ready.

Staying in a lower fw actually is always ideal even if other entries are found in later FWs. Lower FW usually have more holes or can be poked around more thus it encourages more devs to actually work on them. New holes may appear on newer FW but they might be trickier to find and you might end up with the case of the Wii U where only a few found holes but weren't willing to disclose anything :x

Now with the switch, the moment the devs say "it's okay to update it'll just take a bit longer for you to get cfw" I guess it's fine because they're basically saying that eventually they'll give you something and not just out right saying "yeah we have some xploits but we're not releasing anything in the future. Kthx".

Last edited by Sephirosu,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Staying in a lower fw actually is always ideal specially if other entries are found in later FWs. Lower FW usually have more holes or can be poked around more thus it encourages more devs to actually work on them. New holes may appear on newer FW but they might be trickier to find and you might end up with the case of the Wii U where only a few found holes but weren't willing to disclose anything :x

True, but in this case, since the system is broken on the hardware level, it makes zero difference. Once you can pull off the bootrom bug (I assume at the kernel level), no more poking is needed. You are at the lowest level. You can do anything.

Now with the switch, the moment the devs say "it's okay to update it'll just take a bit longer for you to get cfw" I guess it's fine because they're basically saying that eventually they'll give you something and not just out right saying "yeah we have some exploits but we're not releasing anything in the future. Kthx".

Again, the whole "the lower the sooner" was never going to make much of a difference if they wanted to finish the CFW first (which I was hoping they would not ...). By the time the CFW is ready, someone in the team will have stabilized the exploits they have on any FW (or shortly there after).

If anything they would now benefit from "anybody being on X.X.X (e.g. 4.1.0)" so that they only have to implement one exploit. Potentially when the CFW is ready they may just tell you to update to 7.2.1 because they are going to want to just stabilize and package that exploit (if they got one).

Last edited by Onibi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm judging between updating to 5.0.1 to participate in the upcoming Splatfests and staying on 4.1 for the upcoming CFW.

Tough decision. Do we have any confirmed entry points for 5.0.0?
Not yet I think. 5.0.0 is so new they haven't really had a chance to look into it yet, and obviously the devs aren't exactly eager to update in order to test things.
It will be easier once we have an emuNAND solution, then testing for exploits on newer firmware will be possible while keeping CFW access.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc