atheism

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm just hoping now that some people have gone through college, or university for our friends overseas, and understand that scientific theory is not layman's theory. For example, the theory of evolution in scientific terms is a theory because it's based on many different smaller different facts from a variety of different fields i.e. paleontology, genetics, geology, etc. Same with the theory of gravity or germ theory. In terms of physics, is given in proof by mathematics.

Theory of evolution at work = pesticide resilient insects.

Who said evolution is wrong? However, why would scientists themselves call it a theory? The reason being that it suggests that human and all life originated from random chemical which even scientists are having a hard time believing by chance became organic. That's the part of evolution that is questioned. However, it is not entirely impossible, just like how the influential being or factor (that can be called this god that we refer to) on evolution is not entirely impossible.

Evolution is easy to misunderstand and many people do. They make this exact statement. Unfortunately, evolution never claims that there is a beginning, it's simply the process that occurs after the beginning of life. I believe you are talking about abiogenesis. Some advancements in abiogenesis have already shown that the basic building blocks of humans i.e. amino acids can be produced under the same conditions seen during the early period of the Earth's formation.

And again, "theory" does not mean the same thing in science as it does in layman's term. Evolution not simply a wild guess at how life goes about it's process.

And yes, cubin' even if evolution is not 100% correct it's still the best we've got at the moment.

Also, it sounds like people are saying well, science is wrong or doesn't know so let's default to God. It should default to "we don't know." See the pessimism here.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I'm just hoping now that some people have gone through college, or university for our friends overseas, and understand that scientific theory is not layman's theory. For example, the theory of evolution in scientific terms is a theory because it's based on many different smaller different facts from a variety of different fields i.e. paleontology, genetics, geology, etc. Same with the theory of gravity or germ theory. In terms of physics, is given in proof by mathematics.

Theory of evolution at work = pesticide resilient insects.

Who said evolution is wrong? However, why would scientists themselves call it a theory? The reason being that it suggests that human and all life originated from random chemical which even scientists are having a hard time believing by chance became organic. That's the part of evolution that is questioned. However, it is not entirely impossible, just like how the influential being or factor (that can be called this god that we refer to) on evolution is not entirely impossible.

Evolution is easy to misunderstand and many people do. They make this exact statement. Unfortunately, evolution never claims that there is a beginning, it's simply the process that occurs after the beginning of life. I believe you are talking about abiogenesis. Some advancements in abiogenesis have already shown that the basic building blocks of humans i.e. amino acids can be produced under the same conditions seen during the early period of the Earth's formation.

And again, "theory" does not mean the same thing in science as it does in layman's term. Evolution not simply a wild guess at how life goes about it's process.

And yes, cubin' even if evolution is not 100% correct it's still the best we've got at the moment.
wtf.gif
I've been taught at the wrong University then. I've been told that evolution suggests that life had to evolve from something, I guess it's true; abiogenesis was a branch that was derived from evolution says if life was to originate from something, evolution from abiotics was it. You are right however, the evolution theory that describes how life forms currently.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are some scientists that there are an infinite amount of universes that exist within the 11th dimension. they beleive that if any of the universes happens to collide with one another, instead of the 2 universes like... blowing up... the second they touch, even a tiny bit, they are forced away from each other. at the point in which they did touch, matter is lost from the 2 universes and the lost matter creates a new universe.

thats is the explanation for the big bag theory that I have heard. and makes more sense than "nothing exploded into stuff"

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
For those concerned about biogensis I suggest you have a look at Urey and Miller's famous experiment of the 1950's. The big problem with biogenesis is the self-organisation aspects. How can different molecules form complex architectures without violating the laws of thermodynamics (ie, entropy must always increase). This is completely different to evolution.

Evolution is a FACT. You take Staphylococcus aureus bacteria and give them methicillin over a number of bacterial generations (individual bacterium are very short-lived) and presto! You end up with an entire population of MRSA bacteria and a serious health-crisis. How (some) creationists can outright deny evolution is beyond a joke.

And to all the armchair scientists talking about which theories of the big bang make the most "sense"; you are dealing with some extremely high-order physics here. Things that make Newtonian "sense" do not make Einsteinian "sense". We all live in a Newtonian world and these are the only physics we understand intuitively. Sure, some people are gifted in mathematics and, through a lifetime of physics study, can become intuitive in the new physics. You are not one of them.

Bamboo

Trophies
XP
Country
What I find weird is that only humans believe in religion. I mean u don't see a bird flying into a church for prayer on sundays.

So if there is a God wouldn't everything he created worship him.

I just wonder what religion aliens practice, cause if there is a similarity with one of ours we would find the right religion right?

But that's if Aliens exist.

Humans don't really know or understand what animals do....humans think they know everything about them intimately but they don't.
In my home town there are turkeys that live in the bush during the day they run around kind of separate then at about 5:30pm which is sunset you see them all coming out of the bush and congregate out on the beach right by the river mouth.
Like about 60 of them it looks awesome. The stand there on the sand doing......what I dont know.
When the sun goes completely behind then horizon they go back into the bush. IT was strange to see the bush dwelling birds on the beach.
I at first thought like any dumb human it had something to do with food, but later I saw they weren't eating.
This spot is famous for humans going to watch the sunset as well.
There is a group of apes that get together at watch a waterfall swaying and making 'oooooo' sounds.
I think the animal mind is largely secret to most humans. Until we recognize that we are linked to them intimately (if it be evolution or a common creator) and stop thinking of them as objects that we own but individuals like us.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
It has a hierarchy, it's primarily used now (although I'll agree not always) to make money for the moneyed, and to take money from the poor (oh look, more results from a scientist that confirm what the people paying his funding want found).

It's also blindly followed by people (your average person in the street) who'll oooh and aaah at the things they see in the media that science will do for them in xx amount of years (most of which never materialise), the scientists are of course receiving massive funding (both out of public money and from private corporations). How is that different from preachers in the past promising people will goto heaven if they pay 10% of their wages to the church?

One is offering to better this life if you'll just throw them some extra money, the other a better life in the next.

I've never seen proof that the theory of evolution is any more true than that crazy creationist theory - but scientists still parrot it like it's fact.

There have been lots of studies that haven't found what the drugs companies wanted them to find so results have been massaged (just look at thalidomide, and thats not the only drug - people are maimed and dying so big-pharma can make ever more profits).

people put up with lots they don't like, thats the curse of the modern world. At least the computer could be useful in the overthrowing of the dominant power structures currently in place (which are supported by science).

QUOTE(111111111 @ Nov 23 2007, 09:47 AM)
why do you assume people goto hospital for vaccines? some of us can live life without medical treatment you know, it's not a vital necessity.

In the oldene days people would "bash" the religions of the time, and then use them as protection.

When fighting against an incumbent you'll use anything you can get. including the powers, protections and inventions of an enemy.

You are the definition of "retard". As a research chemist (working for a not-for-profit pharmaceutical house) I am offended by your comments and their utter stupidity.

Now just jump in your deity-driven time machine and head back to the cromagnon dwelling you came from.

fail.jpg

Bamboo

Trophies
XP
Country
There are some scientists that there are an infinite amount of universes that exist within the 11th dimension. they beleive that if any of the universes happens to collide with one another, instead of the 2 universes like... blowing up... the second they touch, even a tiny bit, they are forced away from each other. at the point in which they did touch, matter is lost from the 2 universes and the lost matter creates a new universe.

thats is the explanation for the big bag theory that I have heard. and makes more sense than "nothing exploded into stuff"

well the big bang was commonly to be thought of as the beginning of everything.
but that new theory you mentioned still doesn't explain the beginning.
Only nothing can come from nothing. it was impossible for there ever to be nothing.
Something has existed forever. That is what we call god. IT is IMPOSSIBLE not to believe in god.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

but that new theory still doesn't explain the beginning.
Only nothing can come from nothing. So does that say that it was impossible for there ever to be nothing ?
we have to have come from something that always was.
they explained that they know this doesn't explains where everything came from in the first place, but it at least explains where WE came from.

Bamboo

Trophies
XP
Country

Only nothing can come from nothing. So does that say that it was impossible for there ever to be nothing ?
they explained that they know this doesn't explains where everything came from in the first place, but it at least explains where WE came from.
I don't care where I came from. I care where mater itself came from. Atoms and the very existence of reality.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I don't care where I came from. I care where mater itself came from. Atoms and the very existence of reality.
sometimes, you have to come to the conclusion that that question may never be answered.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What are the odds of the universe (planets, creatures, and so much complexity) coming into existence by a piece an exploding piece of matter...

That's like the odds of a tornado going thru a junkyard, creating an airplane.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I won't post anything serious since this topic is in the Testing Area.

The testing area doesn't mean this has to be silly, it just means the option exists to be silly.
tongue.gif

Yeah sure, don't get me wrong, it's just that this matter would deserve to be on the off topic forum.
Not really, the original post wasn't meant to be General Off-topic. It's just this topic expanded to a mass argument (euphemism for flaming). So even now, it should stay testing.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I won't post anything serious since this topic is in the Testing Area.

The testing area doesn't mean this has to be silly, it just means the option exists to be silly.
tongue.gif

Yeah sure, don't get me wrong, it's just that this matter would deserve to be on the off topic forum.
Not really, the original post wasn't meant to be General Off-topic. It's just this topic expanded to a mass argument (euphemism for flaming). So even now, it should stay testing.
You are probably right. To be really honest I have read only some of the postings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1