Homebrew Atari 5200 Emulator (DSi Entry)

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for these so much, alek
smile.gif

...is an update to PokeyDS planned at all?
smile.gif

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you X1000!!!! The DS is probably the only system that can properly emulate the 5200 with the touch pad.

If some one ever exploits or gets homebrew working on the 3DS that would work too but thats probably asking a bit much at this point in time lol

Anyway thank you again this will be fun
smile.gif

Mountain King here I come! lol

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
alekmaul said:
ok, will check that.
About rom bios file, the filename must be 5200.rom, sorry about mistake, was a little tired this morning

i have my bios named correctly. i'm now also using the 1.1 version update. both releases are doing the samething, the two screens load but i can't press anything. i click the cartridge slot but nothing happens. i'm wondering if its my bios. i'm testing using the ievo in dsi mode on the dsi xl (1.4.1 firmware and the ievo has not been 1.4.2 updated yet).

here is the crc:
4248D3E3

>>>>EDIT
i put the same setup folder on my acekard2i in the dsi and ds lite and the software is working. there appears to be an issue with the ievo. with the ievo i tried with the compatibility layer off, on, and auto, all 3 failed. ievo on the dsi lite in ds-mode also fails, i can't click anything on the touch screen. the msd card i'm testing with is a 4gb class-4 kingston which was freshly formatted before playing around.

-another world

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also having the weird 'DS powers off for some games' problem...I'm using v1.1 of the emulator, 5200.rom in same directory as emulator...most games work...but some consistently shut the DS off after the rainbow Fuji logo + game title screen. Berzerk and Robotron 2084 come to mind...Dig Dug does the same thing, but it seems to run now and then if I run some other game -first- and then try Dig Dug.

Using a DSLite w/an Acekard 2i here.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
A few things:

1. You´re a god in dev.

2. Thank you, I do not have sudokuhax on my dsi, so I´m stuck at DSmode for now, and the other tempers had already pointed the freezes/problems. But at slow pace this emu is doing its job flawlessly.

3. Keep up the good work alek.
biggrin.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an issue while playing Dreadnaught Factor. I can't drop bombs, I can only fire the lasers. Am I missing something?

I can't jump in Montezuma's Revenge.

Couldn't seem to set a bomb in H.E.R.O.

Many games will move the character in a certain direction until I press all directions of the Dpad, then it acts correctly.

I'm also having the "DS shuts off" issue if I choose "single chip" mode. To be honest, I have no idea what that single/dual chip mode selection is all about, but games work in "dual chip" and the DS shuts off when I try to use "single chip". Is that a 5200 thing or something to do with DSi mode and a SCDStwo or.....what?

Also, many games exhibit a flashing sort of graphic glitch at around one-second intervals.

I'm playing on a DSlite with a CycloDS and a 16GB Sandisk that's only got about 1GB of space left. I also have an M3 Perfect in slot2, if any of that matters.

Am I correct in assuming these issues are much less noticeable (or even non-existent) when using a DSi? Is it just an issue with a CycloDS or DSlite, or are others experiencing the same sort of issues with other flashcarts or on a DSi?

Please don't look at this as complaining, I'm just pointing out things I've noticed so they can possibly be fixed, or to get a reasonable explanation for what I'm encountering.

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
hum, strange things that your pbs ...., will check that as soon as possible (need to finish a new emu, to fix a2600 paddle pbs and to be active in real life for my family ^^).
About Single / dual coice for 16k cartridge, i know that it is not easy to choose, but you must know that lots of games use two chips (except pitfall games ...).
Sorry about that, i search for a method to find how to handle this pb but found nothing
frown.gif

Also, i will try to use same behavour than atari800 that checks when the emu hangs and stop the emulation, it will be better than a power off detection (because we stop the emulation) ...

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I have an issue while playing Dreadnaught Factor. I can't drop bombs, I can only fire the lasers. Am I missing something?

I can't jump in Montezuma's Revenge.

Couldn't seem to set a bomb in H.E.R.O.

Same here...Looks like this emu doesn't have the 5200's 'top' side buttons mapped to any button on the DS yet.

The readme mentions B is 'Shift'...I'm thinking that's a mistake, and referencing the Atari 400/800/XL/XE computer side.

Another game unplayable without the top side buttons is Space Dungeon. :)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
alek,
i wanted to add-on to my ievo comment. after the emu boots up (i see the intro) i am unable to click anything on the screen. however, if i press the hardware power button on the dsi itself, the dsi resets perfectly. because i do not have to hold the power button down to reset the system makes me think the problem is with the ievo and the touch screen. would you be willing to map some d-pad options? perhaps just "start" to load a game. that way i could test if the emu is freezing up or if its just the touch screen controls.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i tried the new release on an updated ievo (firmware 2.3). the emu still has no touch screen controls. i've just written an email to cyclops about another ievo homebrew issue (in regards to scummvmds). i'm wondering if the review unit i was sent, which was one of the first 50 made, if it has hardware differences.

it seems that not enough people i've talked to have the ievo so i can not have them run the same tests. i still have not read if anyone else has your emu working on the ievo.

-another world

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
ok, i also have a ievo from the first batch but no dsi (only a jap dsi ...).
i tried stellads on a french dsi so i need to reinit my ievo to test in ds mode, not dsi mode ...
you confirm that it does not work in ds mode for you Another World ?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
dsi-mode on a n. american dsi xl (U) - does not work
ds-mode on the same system - does not work
ds-mode on a ds lite - does not work

in ds-mode on the dsi the menu loads to a crazy clicking sound and the top graphic is a bit messed up. i now see all these green dots around the 5200 graphic. neither of these things happened before.

-another world

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
ok, you were right Another World, I tested A5200 with my DSi Jap and a iEvo and it hangs ... :-(
The good news is that I found why, and a new version is now available (see 1st post).
The bad news is that I'm late about the contest date and I don't know if you can use this version for the bounty ... (but it's not a pb if you can't, i can understand)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
alek,
you are the best. it is working. pitfall II is playable, though not at full speed it is much more enjoyable then trying to play it on stella or the 7800 emu. =)

i have a suggestion, make all menus either touch screen or dpad/button. right now its touch screen to load a rom but then dpad/button to choose it, execute it, and pick the chip type.

is there a way to have the emu automatically pick the chip type or a best suggestion for us? i really didn't know that the carts have 1 or 2 chips so i'm often selecting the wrong one.

we won't be able to use this update for judging but the fact that you are keeping your projects updated will be something the judges keep in mind. so in a sense, releasing updates does help your chances!

cheers,
-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN