Homebrew Atari 5200 Emulator (DSi Entry)

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
Ok, few days ago , you tested the first console from atari, the Atari VCS 2600 ...
Now, let's see the next one. This one is the reply for coleco and Intellision console, the Atari 5200 !!! ...
Hope you will enjoy it, it's of course the fist version and i need to improve it ...
It's based on Atari800 emulator and of course, the source code is released because it's not my source code

To use this emulator, you must use compatibles rom with a52/bin format.
You need the 5200.bin rom bios to use it. A quick search on atariage website will help you about that ;-)
Do not ask me about such files, I don't have them. A search with Google will certainly help you.

Controls :
* Direction pad : the joystick ...
* A : Fire button 1
* B : Shift button
* X : * button
* Y : # button
* START : START button
* SELECT : Pause button

Vidéo :
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Qy1fQJpAOyo[/youtube]

Some screenshots :
a5200v10_01.png
a5200v10_03.png

a5200v10_06.png
a5200v10_07.png

Download : A5200DS V1.5

Of course, i'm releasing the source code because I am not the original author of Atari800 Emulator : A5200DS V1.0 source code

* Update *
QUOTE said:
V1.5 : 26/06/2011
* Fix bug in GTIA/POKEY for enabling pot management, analog jostick works now
* Compiled with new devkitpro (r33), win 1 fps since previous version
V1.4 : 13/06/2011
* Add automatic chip detection for 16k roms (but you can change it)
* Button L to display/hide FPS
* Add R & L to change Rom
* Really fix flickering pb, alphalerp is back and screen is smoother
* Better sound (not so much ...)
V1.3 : 12/06/2011
* Fix pb with iEvo (hangs on menu)
V1.2 : 11/06/2011
* Fix pb with B button (now you can use bombs in HERO)
* Remove argc/argv management (for Another World test with his ievo)
* Fix flickering pb (remove alphalerp for now)

V1.1 : 23/05/2011
* Quick fix about bios problem
* change screen height to 256
* Add more easy understanding message when no game in current diretory (Thx
Another World for the tip)
* Fix name in makefile (was 7800 and not 5200)

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for another classic emulator. I actually have one of these sitting in my spider infested basement, but could never find the games to go with it. I do vaguely remember playing Zaxxon on it as a youngster though.
Performance seems pretty solid, at least in DSi mode (haven't tried running in standard yet). One bit of info that I didn't see in the readme or in the initial post: you need the 5200 bios to run this. Dropping it in the same folder as the nds executable seems to be the idea.

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
Sir_Voe said:
One bit of info that I didn't see in the readme or in the initial post: you need the 5200 bios to run this. Dropping it in the same folder as the nds executable seems to be the idea.
Yes, stupid I was. Sorry about that. You need the a5200.bin rom bios to use it. A quick search on atariage website will help you about that ;-)

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making the 5200 emulator =) I think its fun to play/compare versions of games on the different systems (DK, Super Cobra, etc).
Its running really nice for me in DSi mode via Sudokuhax.

Maybe something you could look into, I couldn't get the argv to work for direct game booting on my DStwo, though =( (it works great with the 2600)
...and not to sidetrack too much, but that argv support would be super cool in your dstwo MAME4ALL emulators =)

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
VatoLoco said:
Maybe something you could look into, I couldn't get the argv to work for direct game booting on my DStwo, though =( (it works great with the 2600)
...and not to sidetrack too much, but that argv support would be super cool in your dstwo MAME4ALL emulators =)
Strange, I implemented it in A5200DS, will check that this evening.
OK, i put this in the todo list of Mame4All too ^^

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
alekmaul said:
VatoLoco said:
Strange, I implemented it in A5200DS, will check that this evening.
OK, i put this in the todo list of Mame4All too ^^
Awesome, thank you =)

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, a second Atari emulator. I thought we were lucky to get the 2600 one, but a second one! The only problem with the emus is that they both run a bit slowly in DS mode. Hope it will get a speed-up in a future update
smile.gif

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Tried some of the ROMs and some of the ROMs that have the option of 2 CPUs or 1 CPU fail. If you select 2 CPUs then they either stick at the Atari screen or go in game and then freeze or if you choose 1 CPU then in the case of Centipede it switches the DSi off (This was tested on SCDS2 with iMenu).

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
alekmaul said:
Buleste said:
if you choose 1 CPU then in the case of Centipede it switches the DSi off (This was tested on SCDS2 with iMenu).
Don't understand what is the relationship between DSi and SCDS2 ? You can't have a DSi mode with DSTWO.
I know the SCDS2 doesn't have a DSi mode. I am telling you what hardware I'm using as someone may have a different result when using a DS or DSLite and a different card.

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
Buleste said:
I know the SCDS2 doesn't have a DSi mode. I am telling you what hardware I'm using as someone may have a different result when using a DS or DSLite and a different card.
OK, so you just want to say that when you did your test, the power of your DS switch off, right ?

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
alekmaul said:
Buleste said:
OK, so you just want to say that when you did your test, the power of your DS switch off, right ?
I am saying that when I tried Centipede in 1 CPU mode on my DSi that the DSi switched itself off and that if you want to try to recreate this error I was using a SCDS2 with iMenu.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i am having the same problem on the ievo in dsi-mode. if the 5200.bin file is missing (named incorrectly), pressing "A" will shut down the DSi.

the bios file i have is Atari 5200 BIOS (1982)(Atari).bin, i renamed it to 5200.rom (as thats what the emu says is missing) and now the emu freezes, as in i can't select anything. did i name it incorrectly?

i tried a5200.bin, 5200.bin, and 5200.rom.

-another world

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great work as always! Pleasantly surprised to see Qix and Super PacMan working at playable speed. The later versions of Qix have just never done it for me vs. the 5200 version.

Bug Wise, Miner 2049er has some graphics glitches and Missle Command freezes. But neither of these are a big deal to me as I have other ways to play both of them on my DSL.

Speed wise, Ms. Pac Man and Blue Print are the only thins that seem really slow, most games I tried seem to be pretty good.

Keep up the good work
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night