Hardware Are graphics and frame-rate better with 3D turned off on nintendo 3ds?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
To add another game: Fire Emblem Awakening gets some pretty heavy frame drops with the 3D enabled, especially on certain backgrounds during battle (overworld maps seem unaffected). I've hit less than 30fps before in some of them (the rainy chapter for example).

The really surprising thing is, is that much of the battles have muddy, low-res textures, so I'm really surprised the game is still choking somehow.
I think, sometimes, no matter how much the hardware is good, if the game is not designed well than it would look like something is wrong with the console...

Reactions: Rydian and Celice
D

Deleted_171835

To add another game: Fire Emblem Awakening gets some pretty heavy frame drops with the 3D enabled, especially on certain backgrounds during battle (overworld maps seem unaffected). I've hit less than 30fps before in some of them (the rainy chapter for example).

The really surprising thing is, is that much of the battles have muddy, low-res textures, so I'm really surprised the game is still choking somehow.
How would you notice that in a SRPG where not much moves around?

I mean, you could tell when there's a framerate drop but it would be really difficult to perceive if it's below a certain framerate.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
"Personally I play in 3D on with all of my games except Street Figher and RE:Revelations." why so?
And... "in Kid Icarus you can actually see the distances between characters, projectiles and enemies because when flying you don't have shadows to guide you, 3D does help a lot in these situations." so are you saying that except 3D effect, there are no 3D illusions likeAir perspective or so... i mean, there where (are) 3D games (i dont mean 3D like popping out, i mean 3D rendered) that dont have 3D effect but they do hawe illusion of 3D.. And i know it's easyer With 3D on, but lets say, for example, my 3D slyder or whatewer, got broken..does that mean i cant play Kid Ikarus or Zen Pinball?
I like the gyro aiming thing in RE:R, plus the game is dark with a lot of white enemies which leak through the parallax barrier if I have the 3D on high and a high brightness setting, it feels unnecessary to have it on low so I turn it off completely and get to enjoy the 4xAA instead. Street Figter is 60fps 2D, that and a fighter doesn't need 3D really.

And yes of course you can play Kid Icarus without 3D, it's just that the stereoscopic 3D makes it a little easier to get a better sense of 3D space. Kinda like how it's easier to catch a ball with both of your eyes open instead of doing it with one eye shut. The latter being slightly harder but not impossible.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I want to add a game in the list.Virtues Last Reward.It have a very beatiful 3d effect,but at the [POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT]white door[end of spoiler] it can hurt the eyes.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't let yourself get fooled by numbers here. The human eye can't even see more than 24 pictures a second. You will barley notice any difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. The game will appear a little bit smoother at 60 FPS, but that's it. It's not like 30 FPS is unplayable or hurts in the eye or something. It still runs pretty smoothly and as long as you don't switch to 2D you won't even know that it could be smoother than that.

So what I'm trying to say here is this: 60 FPS may be twice the frames of 30 FPS, but the actual improvement seen by the human eye is just minor. In most games the 3D effect is worth going with lower framerate.

Oh God, not this again--go do some research before repeating this nonsense.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. by turning 3D off to get better graphics and FPS you mean going to options and turn it off there? does it work if you slide it off?

The slider has a little "click" at the bottom so you know when you've gone from turning 3D down as low as it can go to all the way off. Turning it off this way results in the exact same thing as turning it off entirely in the options.

If you're playing a game like Zelda OOT3D, you can even see the graphics sort of "pop" into the smoother 2D version when you hit the click. (Smoother as in looking more Anti Aliased, not in terms of framerate, I haven't noticed any framerate changes)

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The slider has a little "click" at the bottom so you know when you've gone from turning 3D down as low as it can go to all the way off. Turning it off this way results in the exact same thing as turning it off entirely in the options.

If you're playing a game like Zelda OOT3D, you can even see the graphics sort of "pop" into the smoother 2D version when you hit the click. (Smoother as in looking more Anti Aliased, not in terms of framerate, I haven't noticed any framerate changes)
I always wondered.. is it so hard for developers to make nice and smooth 60 fps game.. i mean, it should be standard if you ask me. 60 fps that ewerything else. 60 fps being like lowest frame rate.

i mean, look at this --->
it's 30 vs 60 fps ....for example.. i am playing zelda wind waker on wii and at the beginning it gives you an option to choose betwean 50 or 60 HZ
50 being lower fps and 60 looks smoother.. and with 50Hz i can play, but it's not enjoyable like 60Hz...

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you notice that in a SRPG where not much moves around?

I mean, you could tell when there's a framerate drop but it would be really difficult to perceive if it's below a certain framerate.
Thus I specifically mentioned that the drop occurs in battle scenes a majority of the time :)

And it's not too difficult to recognize a generalized performance in terms of framerates, as long as you've been familiar with the different ranges long enough. I perfectly-fine can tell that the game chocks beneath the 30fps point once it starts stuttering, rather than appearing less-fluid than a 60fps mark. For reference, 45-59 fps is a bit hard to discern, especially the 54-60 fps zone. But it's obvious as all-hell the difference between 30fps and almost anything less than that.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wondered.. is it so hard for developers to make nice and smooth 60 fps game.. i mean, it should be standard if you ask me. 60 fps that ewerything else. 60 fps being like lowest frame rate.

i mean, look at this --->
it's 30 vs 60 fps ....for example.. i am playing zelda wind waker on wii and at the beginning it gives you an option to choose betwean 50 or 60 HZ
50 being lower fps and 60 looks smoother.. and with 50Hz i can play, but it's not enjoyable like 60Hz...

They can BUT that means cutting detail, effectively, in half. And since 99% of reviewers do not score a game any higher for a smoother frame rate--and, in fact, tend to dock games as "not looking as good" as their 30fps counterparts--devs react by going for higher detail. In other words, most people are graphics whores and they prefer higher detail over smoother gameplay, sadly.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
To put it simple:

1st party devs, like Nintendo EAD departments, Gamefreak,etc games will look gorgeous even with 3D off. beauty 3D & steady 60FPS at the same time if possible

good 3rd party devs(know hardware really good), like Namco, Capcom, Atlus, Square-enix will have a hard time rendering 60fps AND 3D at the same time on most games, but 3D will be likely to be beautiful too.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
To put it simple:

1st party devs, like Nintendo EAD departments, Gamefreak,etc games will look gorgeous even with 3D off. beauty 3D & steady 60FPS at the same time if possible

good 3rd party devs(know hardware really good), like Namco, Capcom, Atlus, Square-enix will have a hard time rendering 60fps AND 3D at the same time on most games, but 3D will be likely to be beautiful too.
But again, other than Street Fighter and DOA (VLR had some slowdown I'll give you that) all 3rd party software I've tried has 60fps 3D. It's not an issue anymore, even Revelations the best looking game on the platform had a solid 60fps in 3D.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
But again, other than Street Fighter and DOA (VLR had some slowdown I'll give you that) all 3rd party software I've tried has 60fps 3D. It's not an issue anymore, even Revelations the best looking game on the platform had a solid 60fps in 3D.
by have a hard time rendering at 60fps & 3D enabled, I mean actually they will try to, but it'll be much more difficult, if a lot of shaders and polys, collition and such occurs on screen. I didn't say it'd be impossible. Remember Nintendo can introduce new microcodes on their target architecture, while others are somewhat limited to what the SDK provided by N is offering.

So that means, if such companies have had developed what you're seeing now, is because they've created or designed their custom shit to achieve such stuff, even if not now, that has happened a lot on past architectures.

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's not an issue anymore, even Revelations the best looking game on the platform had a solid 60fps in 3D.

It COULD still become an issue, nevertheless. The formula is quite simple: The more performance your rendering engine needs (in terms of GPU performance), the harder it is to keep up a high framerate. And since 3D basically means double the rendering, it also means double the GPU performance is needed.

Oh God, not this again--go do some research before repeating this nonsense.

Read the whole post before quoting. What I meant was that the human eye can only distinguish between 24 pictures a second. Yes, it can perceive more than that, but only as motion. Anyways, I clearly stated that there WAS a difference between 30 and 60 FPS before, I just said that it's a minor one, which it IS.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only game that gets better with framerate with 3D turned off, that I've played, is Bit Trip Saga. I have no idea what the hell they did, but with 3D on, especially in Runner, it's a bit jumpy.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But again, other than Street Fighter and DOA (VLR had some slowdown I'll give you that) all 3rd party software I've tried has 60fps 3D.

I've never experienced slowdown on VLR (not that i noticed at least),Only 2 crashes,but not linked to the 3D.The problem with the 3D is that on 1 image of 2 (for the 3D) miss 1 pixel that the other image have.So it look like when you see 2 different thing at the same time,it can be very uncomfortable.

p.s. I know you maybe haven't understand what i mean by "So it look like when you see 2 different thing at the same time.".Take a photo in 3D of a thin branch or any little object/picture in less than 5 cm of distance between the 3DS and the object/picture.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never experienced slowdown on VLR (not that i noticed at least),Only 2 crashes,but not linked to the 3D.The problem with the 3D is that on 1 image of 2 (for the 3D) miss 1 pixel that the other image have.So it look like when you see 2 different thing at the same time,it can be very uncomfortable.

p.s. I know you maybe haven't understand what i mean by "So it look like when you see 2 different thing at the same time.".Take a photo in 3D of a thin branch or any little object/picture in less than 5 cm of distance between the 3DS and the object/picture.
Might have been a demo only thing, I'm pretty sure I didn't get any when using the stylus to control... So it's probably just a demo bug then.
Yeah the game is exactly the same 2D or 3D.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
They can BUT that means cutting detail, effectively, in half. And since 99% of reviewers do not score a game any higher for a smoother frame rate--and, in fact, tend to dock games as "not looking as good" as their 30fps counterparts--devs react by going for higher detail. In other words, most people are graphics whores and they prefer higher detail over smoother gameplay, sadly.
I always liked Nintendo games because they are smooth and nice :)

Mijzelffan

Blink
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think Nintendo tries hard to make sure the framerate stays the same in 3D (the developers of MK7 say they specifically worked hard on this in Iwata Asks).

Also besides what's mentioned in posts above New Super Mario Bros. 2 blurs out the background whenever you turn on 3D for no good reason, so it looks a lot better with the 3D off. The 3D itself isn't that amazing in this game anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1