Gaming Anyone else not like Pokemon?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sir, are incorrect.

Well that's a relief. But the random battle encounters in Final Fantasy (et al) are sort of unavoidable. It's kind of like Pokemon. But I welcome any encounter that'll let me level up my character (which is why I don't use repels... gotta catch 'em all... ugh) At least in Chrono Trigger, I know where to step to avoid "trigger"ing a battle encounter. Then again, avoiding battles isn't really my thing, so there.

Maybe the right question would be: anyone else not like the random battle encounters in Pokemon?

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOU WILL BURN IN THE BREATH OF A CHARIZARD, YOU WILL DROWN IN THE SEA OF A BLASTOISE, AND YOU WILL BE HUNG BY THE WRATH OF VENASAUR!!!!

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I played either Red or Blue, once, for a few minutes, didn't get into it. Haven't played any of the games since. Should I have given it another chance?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
At least in Chrono Trigger, I know where to step to avoid "trigger"ing a battle encounter. Then again, avoiding battles isn't really my thing, so there.

Since I never looked up the tutorial actually (I don't know where it is), I never knew that I could skip battles in that game at all with L&R.
I also kept fighting the wrong part of the final boss (If you know what I mean), only damaging the real one with occasional hit-all attacks... and winning. It's an easy game.
(I figured all of it out so no need for anyone to spoil this for potential newcomers, still didn't go where the tutorial was though)

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure if it had come out when I was in elementary or jr high I would have loved it, but by the time it did come out, I'd already finished college and didn't know anyone else that I saw regularly that had Gameboys. So it would've been pretty hard to ever do any trading, which I hear is a pretty big part of the game.

This is why I also hate it when they tack on tag mode or streetpass for other more recent series. Hello Japan, not everyone in the rest of the world rides around on trains every day with their handhelds! Thank goodness for people coming up with that home streetpass relay stuff.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meh. This should be a thread in the GameBoy section since all 3DS owners are Poketards. At least those people had tastes in games other than Pokemon.

lol'd so much at how wrong this post is. What is a "Poketard" anyway? Someone who enjoys playing a Pokemon game or someone who constantly talks about it? Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a 3DS owner with interest in other games.
I bet that blew your mind, eh.. :rolleyes:

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do like Pokemon. (Gen 6 is the only gen I got into competitive wise).
The only couple things I do not like about Gen 6 is:
1. Oh you want a crappy IV Absol, I'm gonna need a 5iv or 6iv Shiny.
2. You broke "insert claus here". I'm gonna d/c now.

Reactions: Black-Ice

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol'd so much at how wrong this post is. What is a "Poketard" anyway? Someone who enjoys playing a Pokemon game or someone who constantly talks about it? Also, sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm a 3DS owner with interest in other games.
I bet that blew your mind, eh.. :rolleyes:

I was hoping someone would get a kick out of it. As an example, a Poketard is someone who eats, sleeps, and thinks Pokemon. They obsess over collecting every Pokemon in each new game and don't have much interest in other games unless they feature Pokemon as playable characters.

*mind blown* I like seeing 3DS owners who have interest in games other than Pokemon. :)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
loved pokemon red and blue as a kid and watched all the cartoons, but i've just grown out of it now, plus like Some people have said the games are all the same thing, nothing has changed in the past 15 years.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I played either Red or Blue, once, for a few minutes, didn't get into it. Haven't played any of the games since. Should I have given it another chance?

You should have given it another chance. A few minutes aren't really enough to get the gist behind it. I don't think that you only read the first page from a book and say that you couldn't get into it, right?

Reactions: signz

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As an example, a Poketard is someone who eats, sleeps, and thinks Pokemon. They obsess over collecting every Pokemon in each new game and don't have much interest in other games unless they feature Pokemon as playable characters.
I found a Poketard:

(Skip to 0:35s, and make sure your speakers are turned WAAAYYY up.)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's a relief. But the random battle encounters in Final Fantasy (et al) are sort of unavoidable. It's kind of like Pokemon. But I welcome any encounter that'll let me level up my character (which is why I don't use repels... gotta catch 'em all... ugh) At least in Chrono Trigger, I know where to step to avoid "trigger"ing a battle encounter. Then again, avoiding battles isn't really my thing, so there.

Maybe the right question would be: anyone else not like the random battle encounters in Pokemon?
I'm not a fan of random encounters in general, but I like the way pokemon handles it by having specific areas where the random encounters take place. Avoid the tall grass/caves/water and you'll avoid the encounters. In general, I do prefer the approach of games like Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG where you can see enemies and avoid battles by avoiding contact with them, but I think the way Pokemon handles it works for their specific game where you are trying to capture the monsters, and the encounter rate isn't all that high that it quickly gets annoying (usually. But then you enter a cave and get swarmed by ****ing Zubat). Shin Megami Tensei has a similar system where you can "capture" the monsters you encounter, but their encounter rate was annoyingly high (especially when you'd have four encounters of 9 monsters each on a single move!). Earthbound is an example of a game where you could see the monsters on the overworld and supposedly could avoid them like Chrono Trigger, but the buggers moved too fast so you usually couldn't avoid battle, and if you tried they'd get you from behind getting a free shot in battle.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a shiny Solrock once. It was as bright as the sun.
And while I don't hate pokemon, I've found it harder and harder to replay games as the series goes on.
(I played GSC at least 20 times in three different languages lawl. Finished Y once and sold it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o