Hacking Any advantages to vWii over regular Wii?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the Wii U upscales the native Wii 480p to 1080p very nicely. On my Sony 75 HDTV, I test out various Wii games on vWii both at 480p and 1080p. The 1080p do look much better in overall quality. It could also mean my Sony 480p upscaling sucks as well.

Personally, i find Wii U games look gorgeous at 1080p, but for Wii mode, 720p seems to look best. Actual Wii doesn't look great at 480i or 480p, but emulators and VC look good at 240p (the main reason I see to keep an original Wii around after Nintendon't got good).

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also the Wii U upscales the native Wii 480p to 1080p very nicely. On my Sony 75 HDTV, I test out various Wii games on vWii both at 480p and 1080p. The 1080p do look much better in overall quality. It could also mean my Sony 480p upscaling sucks as well.
Idk I have always found upscaling to to be really bad. The only one that seems to do it right is the Framemeister, and it's like $500+. The thing is, TV manufacturers want a scaler chip that's cheap, and able to produce a decent image. They don't care about artifacting, or input lag since they assume people who play video games are children, and won't notice these things. Either that or they're just teens that live in their moms basement playing CoD (I know I am generalizing, but I feel this is the same mentality a lot of hardware manufacturers have). If you get the chance, look at the quality difference between Wii 480p through component on a CRT and vWii 1080p upscaled on an HDTV. I'm sure you would immediately see the difference

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Personally, i find Wii U games look gorgeous at 1080p, but for Wii mode, 720p seems to look best. Actual Wii doesn't look great at 480i or 480p, but emulators and VC look good at 240p (the main reason I see to keep an original Wii around after Nintendon't got good).
You have Wii U games that run at native 1080p? I thought this was only a legend
PS. Sorry for the double post

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Idk I have always found upscaling to to be really bad. The only one that seems to do it right is the Framemeister, and it's like $500+. The thing is, TV manufacturers want a scaler chip that's cheap, and able to produce a decent image. They don't care about artifacting, or input lag since they assume people who play video games are children, and won't notice these things. Either that or they're just teens that live in their moms basement playing CoD (I know I am generalizing, but I feel this is the same mentality a lot of hardware manufacturers have). If you get the chance, look at the quality difference between Wii 480p through component on a CRT and vWii 1080p upscaled on an HDTV. I'm sure you would immediately see the difference

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have Wii U games that run at native 1080p? I thought this was only a legend
PS. Sorry for the double post

Yeah, it seems that to get features "for gamers" you'd have to look into computer monitors, why you even see Computer monitor manufacturers as sponsors in fighting game tournaments etc. - But even then monitors focus on minimal input lag, higher refresh rates, or having those two in higher resolutions, scalers usually are worse, at least image quality wise, producing rougher image even if input lag is kept in minimum. I would love TV's to be better in this front but if framemeisters production costs are half or even quarter of their selling price, it means having such things is not cheap at all indeed.

Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it seems that to get features "for gamers" you'd have to look into computer monitors, why you even see Computer monitor manufacturers as sponsors in fighting game tournaments etc. - But even then monitors focus on minimal input lag, higher refresh rates, or having those two in higher resolutions, scalers usually are worse, at least image quality wise, producing rougher image even if input lag is kept in minimum. I would love TV's to be better in this front but if framemeisters production costs are half or even quarter of their selling price, it means having such things is not cheap at all indeed.
Yeah I think in order for them to create the chips, it's expensive, and they also know that only 1 or 2 companies can actually deliver on the low input lag and decent scaling, so why make it cheap when you can make a boatload of cash. People will pay for it since it delivers on the promise

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with this thread and similar is that whether real Wii via Component or vWii via HDMI looks better will vary considerably depending on the TV. The vWii 1080p upscaler is not that great. Some TVs have really good 480p Component upscalers, some don't.

So there is no one definitive answer as to which looks better.

Reactions: Ryccardo and Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with this thread and similar is that whether real Wii via Component or vWii via HDMI looks better will vary considerably depending on the TV. The vWii 1080p upscaler is not that great. Some TVs have really good 480p Component upscalers, some don't.

So there is no one definitive answer as to which looks better.
The reasons why I keep a CRT :D

Reactions: pelago

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think in order for them to create the chips, it's expensive, and they also know that only 1 or 2 companies can actually deliver on the low input lag and decent scaling, so why make it cheap when you can make a boatload of cash. People will pay for it since it delivers on the promise
The funny thing is it's actually *more* expensive to add input lag. I've used a Dell 1701FP LCD monitor from the early 2000s with a Wii (using a YPbPr to VGA transcoder) and it worked perfectly fine with minimal input lag, aside from the inherent LCD response time.

fenderjaguar

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the Wii U has more input lag in general than the old Wii, for everything that it does, not just vwii mode. I mean look at the wii u nes vc.....it has so much input lag, it is barely playable.

Also, it is not just the display, I have tried both wii and wii u through same monitor. I must admit I mostly use my original wii through a small trinitron CRT broadcast monitor

Last edited by fenderjaguar,
Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the Wii U has more input lag in general than the old Wii, for everything that it does, not just vwii mode. I mean look at the wii u nes vc.....it has so much input lag, it is barely playable.

Also, it is not just the display, I have tried both wii and wii u through same monitor. I must admit I mostly use my original wii through a small trinitron CRT broadcast monitor
Yeah honestly, I just think vWii is complete garbage. If you own a Wii there's literally no point to it. The Wii U is great for Wii U games and maybe some SNES titles, but pretty bad for everything else. I just wish that someone would port mplayer over to it though :P 'Tis wishful thinking

Reactions: fenderjaguar

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
The Venn diagram of
- people so into retro gaming to care about the differences between Wii vs vWii
- people so into retro gaming to just consider any upscaling of an SD source to a fixed matrix LCD display cancer
- people with room for a CRT

may make the question mooter and mooter in the coming years

let's just hope technicians and parts to repair CRTs will be around for a long time

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The vWii is capable of playing all your gamecube games via Nintendont. And if you have the gamecube controller adapter you are even able to use your GC controllers and even the bongo controllers on your Wii U. However, the gameboy advance to Gamecube link cable is incapable of being used in the vWii even with the GC controller adapter. So there are actually some Gamecube titles that can't be played to their full extent on the Wii U like they can on a (pre 2012) Wii like multiplayer in 4 Swords Adventures.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, What a waste.