Hacking ANNOUNCING: GATEWAY 2.1 "OMEGA" PUBLIC RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fábio Silva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyway... Just to clear the air of the conversation... It's sad to see BigBlueBox dumping games that were already dumped instead of working on new eshop games :P
I'm being a complete idiot, but hey, I believe in them XD

Reactions: Subtle Demise

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x, I was one of the people watching the topic like a hawk when gamesquest1 was doing his in-depth testing. I saw when he was able to replicate the brick, 3 out of 5 attempts. He was the one who pinned it down specifically to running diagnostics mode, and proved it.

Now, not being a coder or programmer, lines of code and digits don't mean anything to me. What means something to me is results, and he got them.

There can be no question that the bricking bug exists in B2, and ONLY in B2 and its clone derivatives. There can be no question that running diagnostics mode exponentially increases one's risk of bricking.

Beyond this, I did my own extensive testing with both my old regular 3DS and my new 3DS XL. I have never once run diagnostics mode, and with my regular 3DS, running only 2.0b2 the entire time, I booted into Gateway Mode approximately 400 times. No bricks. I've booted into Gateway Mode probably a hundred times with my new 3DS XL (on 2.0b2 the entire time) before updating to OMEGA, and no bricks.

This evidence is first-hand, and it is compelling.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Zetta_x, I was one of the people watching the topic like a hawk when gamesquest1 was doing his in-depth testing. I saw when he was able to replicate the brick, 3 out of 5 attempts. He was the one who pinned it down specifically to running diagnostics mode, and proved it.

Now, not being a coder or programmer, lines of code and digits don't mean anything to me. What means something to me is results, and he got them.

There can be no question that the bricking bug exists in B2, and ONLY in B2 and its clone derivatives. There can be no question that running diagnostics mode exponentially increases one's risk of bricking.

Beyond this, I did my own extensive testing with both my old regular 3DS and my new 3DS XL. I have never once run diagnostics mode, and with my regular 3DS, running only 2.0b2 the entire time, I booted into Gateway Mode approximately 400 times. No bricks. I've booted into Gateway Mode probably a hundred times with my new 3DS XL (on 2.0b2 the entire time) before updating to OMEGA, and no bricks.

This evidence is first-hand, and it is compelling.
and that was exactly why i did all the tests, before that there was 101 different theories of what caused the brick....with no real evidence to back them up, even the dev's looking in to the code didn't actually discover the diagnostics bug, they identified the checks that run the bricking code on clone cards...but not what caused it on official gateway launcher....up until that point it was all theories and guesses

that's not to say the devs didn't do a fantastic job actually identifying the brick code existed, just that sometimes code may look "perfect" but in practice there can be a bug that does not appear until the code is put to the test

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: CraddaPoosta

the.rx-78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my microSD card from Newegg... currently they have 5 different brands for around $38. I got G Skill and it's been working great so far.

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In case anyone was looking for a new/another SD or microSD card, Amazon and Best Buy have SanDisk Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 cards for sale. $18 for 16GB, $25 for 32GB, and $50 for 64GB. My Gateway is fine, but since I took my 32GB Class 10 from my mp3 player for it, I needed another.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/117...0-uhs-1-sdhc-or-microsdhc-memory-32gb-25-16gb

What a nice price, sadly BestBuy doesn't ship internationally. :(
Amazon has a really expensive shipping to Brazil. Do you know any place to buy it with good quality and an average price?

I'm looking on eBay but I don't know the real price range, so I don't know its quality. I want a 32gb that supports the rom without having to trim it.
How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANDISK-MOB...1906020?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item51b826de64

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah its much worse and it bricks even without diagnostics within a few tries as well, as i clarified in the gateway brick things milage may vary depending upon your setup (card type # of files on the SD etc)....but its still a lot more risky than gateway b2 as you don't even need to run diagnostics for it to happen

Mrs was moaning about the r4 crashing you get on 3.0, I recommend we could update to 3.2 but risk bricking and advised it isnt worth it and just put upo with the crashes and see if an update comes, which i doubt it will. You've just saved me a major headache. Shame to hear though. I wonder why we never heard of any bricks #until 3.2 came about, odd indeed.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Mrs was moaning about the r4 crashing you get on 3.0, I recommend we could update to 3.2 but risk bricking and advised it isnt worth it and just put upo with the crashes and see if an update comes, which i doubt it will. You've just saved me a major headache. Shame to hear though. I wonder why we never heard of any bricks #until 3.2 came about, odd indeed.
the 3.3b (1.2) is a lot more stable, and does play about 90% of the games...you could just switch between 3.3 for general usage and 3.0 for games that dont play on 3.3b

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Did you do any testing on 3.1-3.3?
no extensive testing.....but the brick code is there, and these are the situations they where designed to trigger under so i wouldn't expect much from it, i did test one a few times and bricked very quickly....don't remember which version it was though

Reactions: mijuu

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ok, thanks for the info guys.

Thought 3.0 was based on 2.0b1, is it actually 1.2.
i think its
2.0 = 1.2
3.0 = 2.0 b1 <---safe but buggy
3.1 = 2.0 b2 < unsafe and still buggy
3.2 = 2.0 b2 <-----unsafe but more "stable" than 3.1 (still bricks)
3.3b = 1.2 <---- went back to 2.0 because of the brick code

Reactions: mijuu

mijuu

Trophies
XP
Country
i think its
2.0 = 1.2
3.0 = 2.0 b1 <---safe but buggy
3.1 = 2.0 b2 < unsafe and still buggy
3.2 = 2.0 b2 <-----unsafe but more "stable" than 3.1 (still bricks)
3.3b = 1.2 <---- went back to 2.0 because of the brick code
aye I was getting 3.0 and 3.3b mixed up, well completely wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH