Animal Crossing: New Horizons sets record for best single game launch on the Nintendo Switch

tCwmOzm.png

Animal Crossing: New Horizons hasn't even been out for a full week, yet the game is already setting records. Japanese magazine Famitsu and sales tracker Media Crate have reported their preliminary sales results for the latest entry into the Animal Crossing series, claiming that the game sold over 1.88 million physical copies alone, in its first three days on the market. Included in that figure is the standalone game itself, pre-order cards, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons Switch bundles that were sold on store shelves in Japan. In the UK, the game had just as much success, surpassing launch sales for all previous Animal Crossing games, combined. For comparison, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate managed 1.2 million sales in its first three days in Japan, while New Horizons sold 3.5 times more than its predecessor New Leaf. It also has the highest launch sales of any Switch game, technically, beating out Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield, though not outperforming both Pokemon titles when combined together.

Considering the unreported digital sales numbers, it's easy to guess that the true sales for the game are even more impressive, especially with the advent of COVID-19 occurring worldwide, pushing consumers to refrain from getting physical media at this time. Sales of Nintendo Switch systems are also up, pushing the hardware numbers up to 392,576 units shifted this week, which is more sales than the console's launch week in March 2017 (~330,000).

:arrow: Source

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I had to self quarantine when this released, and it's all I've done other than house cleaning. According to my miles tracker, I've put in 50 days of work in just 5. It's all landscaping, too. I've only upgraded my house once. The ability to customize so much, and to do things that were otherwise only feasible through hacking in previous titles, garners immense appreciation from me.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's basically Pokemon Go in reverse. Extremely beneficial timing for the game's release.

Pokemon Go just-so-happened to be released in summer when people were going outside. Animal Crossing just-so-happened to be released when the world needs to remain indoors due to social distancing, self-isolation, or quarantine.

It's honestly fascinating.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: MushGuy

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't know about anyone else but it can get expensive buying multiple copies of games for two kids that want to play local or online multiplayer together.
Had to purchase two copies for my kids, physical retail copies, wishful thinking but Nintendo should really consider if you buy one copy regardless of digital or physical, we should at least be able to download another copy on a second Switch as long as the Switch is on the same family online account.
There are so many games my kids want to play together but have to tell them no, the only other game I bought for both of them was Splatoon. It can get pricey.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't know about anyone else but it can get expensive buying multiple copies of games for two kids that want to play local or online multiplayer together.
Had to purchase two copies for my kids, physical retail copies, wishful thinking but Nintendo should really consider if you buy one copy regardless of digital or physical, we should at least be able to download another copy on a second Switch as long as the Switch is on the same family online account.
There are so many games my kids want to play together but have to tell them no, the only other game I bought for both of them was Splatoon. It can get pricey.
I'm assuming you're unaware that this has local multiplayer on the same console.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming you're unaware that this has local multiplayer on the same console.
It's not as good as multi-Switch multiplayer, though. You have no access to your pockets, you can't walk into buildings or talk to people, and whatever you pick up will be up for grabs by the primary player in the recycle bin thing.

Reactions: xs4all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto