Hacking Anger over "Homebrew"

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question for you thinkers out there.
obviously linux was an intended part of the ps3 at the beginning, and was unrightfully taken from the user.
with the more recent updates by sony (3.56) and removing "homebrew" many of the rookies are all "oh my homebrewz!"
however, much of the software complained that are being taken away are EMULATORS.
in one sense, they are illegal... or at least to own/obtain the rom files anyway... so in reality, illegal.

so what im really asking is;
how can the mainstream person claim that by not allowing emulators, that is ruining the legit homebrew community, when itself is "illegal".

there is only very little actual homebrew eg; the cubic shooter, ftp, asbestOS.... and a large number of "illegal" homebrew emu's, BM's

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The emulators themselves are not illegal, you can find a fair amount of legal ROM images to run on them and other homebrew was hit as well. Let us say you lock up an entire city because some murderers live there, would you consider that right?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
That's a dumb question.

Even though they are emus, there ARE Homebrew SNES, NES, GBA. GEN, etc. games out there. you COULD just be wanting to play some awesome NES Homebrew.

And it's not even that, it's the idea that We CAN in fact make other great homebrew if we wanted to for the PS3 and we should be able to do so. Just because there aren't many now does not mean there won't be in the future.

EDIT: FAT D, damn you beat me to it.

Red Ire Lap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not so much a matter of having the homebrew programs, it's actually 'owning' what we have bought from sony, and having the option to homebrew. If i buy a PS3 and what to put programs on it that are not sanctioned by sony and don't break copywrite laws, i should have every right to do whatever i want to my PS3 as long as i don't break the law. Sony is eliminating the possibility of any homebrew for everyone for fear of having people play illegally obtained games at the expense of handicaping some major PS3 features (such as linux).

For example, say you walk into Bed, Bath, and Beyond and purchase a towel. Now the employee who witnessed you buy the towel then proceeds to tell you "Hey, you hooligan, you aren't allowed to wipe your ass with that towel after a shower". You would probably proceed to tell that employee to politely fuck off, buy the towel, and wipe your ass whenever you feel is appropriate (within the confines of the law). You payed money for the towel, you can use the towel any way you see fit. No one should be able to tell you how to use the towel because it is yours, you payed for it.

Sony also fails to realize that in the past 5 weeks, people have bought many PS3s for that fact that homebrew is now available. Without it, those PS3s would have gone unsold, regardless if they bought or pirated games. There is no point to pirating games without a PS3, so game sales won't really take a hit.

That is the big issue here. Ownership.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito: Probably just my imagination