MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Tested on an older device with Android 4.4.4 and there is no lag. Sorry for the poor gif quality but hopefully you can see that there isn't any lag :)

ezgif-4-79648f651c.gif

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So this is most likely a software issue and not a hardware one. I hope someone can bring Android 4.X Bluetooth drivers to Android 5.X and above :D

Last edited by MK73DS,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested on an older device with Android 4.4.4 and there is no lag. Sorry for the poor gif quality but hopefully you can see that there isn't any lag :)

View attachment 119698

So this is most likely a software issue and not a hardware one. I hope someone can bring Android 4.X Bluetooth drivers to Android 5.X and above :D
alas, we have us down here on 4.x have wished for a similar thing. Wii remotes don't work on 4.x sadly since an update to the Bluetooth broke support

igloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I have done some debugging and found the cause of the lag problem.

Because the Joy-Con and Pro Controller don't have the HIDSSRHostMaxLatency attribute in their SDP record, the Android Bluetooth stack enables sniff subrating (SSR) with max latency default value 500 ms (according to Bluetooth spec). This causes the input report rate to slow down to 2 reports per second.

Nintendo could fix this with a controller fimware update by adding the HIDSSRHostMaxLatency attribute with an attribute value of 15 ms.

It could also be fixed in the Android Bluetooth stack instead by lowering the default value or by disabling SSR for the Switch controllers. The 500 ms SSR max latency default value is hardcoded in /system/lib/hw/bluetooth.default.so.

The Bluetooth stack in older Android devices doesn't support SSR, that's why they don't lag with the Switch controller.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I have done some debugging and found the cause of the lag problem.

Because the Joy-Con and Pro Controller don't have the HIDSSRHostMaxLatency attribute in their SDP record, the Android Bluetooth stack enables sniff subrating (SSR) with max latency default value 500 ms (according to Bluetooth spec). This causes the input report rate to slow down to 2 reports per second.

Nintendo could fix this with a controller fimware update by adding the HIDSSRHostMaxLatency attribute with an attribute value of 15 ms.

It could also be fixed in the Android Bluetooth stack instead by lowering the default value or by disabling SSR for the Switch controllers. The 500 ms SSR max latency default value is hardcoded in /system/lib/hw/bluetooth.default.so.

The Bluetooth stack in older Android devices doesn't support SSR, that's why they don't lag with the Switch controller.

Is there a way to hack /system/lib/hw/bluetooth.default.so and rewrite the value of HIDSSRHostMaxLatency ?
Or can an app bypass, or overwrite, this attribute ?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to hack /system/lib/hw/bluetooth.default.so and rewrite the value of HIDSSRHostMaxLatency ?
Or can an app bypass, or overwrite, this attribute ?
*.so files in Android are compiled binaries. It may be easier to perform a memory edit instead.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a different Bluetooth manager and I think it will be fixed... DS4 on android is the same it works fine for like 30 seconds and then is like 1 second lag...
BY _DUSTY_ from XDA forums:
1. First download and install Bluetooth Auto Connect

The reason we need this app is that for some reason the controllers input starts to lagg after about 30sec after pairing it with the tablet, the only solution I found was using this application.

2. So now that we have the bluetooth application installed aswell we can open the app.
*If the app asks you to turn on Bluetooth just hit OK.
3. Now scroll down to the bottom and tap on "Advanced Options" in here you want to change the following settings:
Rety Count = 1
Rety After(Sec) = 1
Device Timeout(Sec) = 5
Continuous Connect = 2
4. When you changed these settings you can turn on the DS4 controller by pressing on the PS button.
5. Now press on the "Connect Now" button at the bottom of the Advanced Options page.

After 2-3 seconds you will be asked if it is oke to pair the controller with the tablet, select yes and tadaaaaa you have a working DS4 controller on the Nvidia Shield Tablet
biggrin.gif

So for everything works for me, even the button mapper that can be accessed by holding the Options button on the DS4.

I hope this helps a couple of people !
smile.gif
This worked for me on my Nvidia Shield with Dual Shock 4 from PS4 without needing root, else I would need the sixaxis app which requires root to use DS3\DS4 on android devices without Dualshock drivers...

It will probably work with Joy-cons, but sometimes it still lags, try again until it stays connected without lag, after no lag is present it will keep working unless you disconnect the controller...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

igloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
For custom roms it can be fixed by changing the default value in the source code and then building the whole custom rom from source.

The value to change is in system/bt/bta/include/bta_hh_api.h
Code:
#define BTA_HH_SSR_MAX_LATENCY_DEF 800 /* 500 ms*/
Changing this to 0 will disable SSR if the controller doesn't specify HIDSSRHostMaxLatency.

Reactions: StraightArrow

StraightArrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For custom roms it can be fixed by changing the default value in the source code and then building the whole custom rom from source.

The value to change is in system/bt/bta/include/bta_hh_api.h
Code:
#define BTA_HH_SSR_MAX_LATENCY_DEF 800 /* 500 ms*/
Changing this to 0 will disable SSR if the controller doesn't specify HIDSSRHostMaxLatency.
Are you saying this method only works with roms? I am trying to do what you have outlined but cannot find the bt/bta/include folders (I have an s7 edge). I have been able to find the bluetooth.default.so but as someone stated above it is in binary form. I have opened it using a hex editor but I don't know much to do past that. I also don't know what a memory editor is and tried downloading some but got spooked from the human verification nonsense. I feel like I'm getting close, any more help please. anyone?

Attachments

• latency bug.PNG
    latency bug.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 456

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Are you saying this method only works with roms? I am trying to do what you have outlined but cannot find the bt/bta/include folders (I have an s7 edge). I have been able to find the bluetooth.default.so but as someone stated above it is in binary form.

As mentioned in this thread on XDA , Samsung does not give the full source code of their kernel and therefore the only option you have is to try modifying AOSP kernels, which are very buggy on S7 and S7E.

StraightArrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned in XDA , Samsung does not give the full source code of their kernel and therefore the only option you have is to try modifying AOSP kernels, which are very buggy on S7 and S7E.
I see... Why did he write us off on it not working with samsung? There are other android devices that his fix could work for, right? Pixel, Nexus, HTC... I'm surely not the only one working on this.

StraightArrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me for being a complete noob about this but here is my thought process so far.
1. I was thinking of downgrading my s7 firmware to 4.0 but that is apparently impossible given the s7 came with 6.0 stock.
2. Since samsung is bad about AOSP, I try to modify the stock rom somehow without having to build from source. I think I may have to root my phone for this part to gain access to the .h file as I still have been unable to find it (with a root file browser from ASUS). I have no idea if this will work and I will need to give myself write access to these files.
3. Flash a custom rom like lineage OS and either see if the Bluetooth works natively, or fiddle with the files from there.
4. Flash a modified samsung source rom?
Is there anything else I should try? Which would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start with number 2 first.
Someone would probably have a way easier time with this on a different device since samsung is notoriously closed off to modding, so please feel free to try what @igloo suggested above and let us know what happens.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before customizing or modding files on your android, have you tried what I told above on my last post? It works for me with DS4 which has the same lag too.

Its a official free app from playstore -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myklos.btautoconnect

BY _DUSTY_ from XDA forums:
1. First download and install Bluetooth Auto Connect

The reason we need this app is that for some reason the controllers input starts to lagg after about 30sec after pairing it with the tablet, the only solution I found was using this application.

2. So now that we have the bluetooth application installed aswell we can open the app.
*If the app asks you to turn on Bluetooth just hit OK.
3. Now scroll down to the bottom and tap on "Advanced Options" in here you want to change the following settings:
Rety Count = 1
Rety After(Sec) = 1
Device Timeout(Sec) = 5
Continuous Connect = 2
4. When you changed these settings you can turn on the DS4 controller by pressing on the PS button.
5. Now press on the "Connect Now" button at the bottom of the Advanced Options page.

After 2-3 seconds you will be asked if it is oke to pair the controller with the tablet, select yes and tadaaaaa you have a working DS4 controller on the Nvidia Shield Tablet
biggrin.gif

So for everything works for me, even the button mapper that can be accessed by holding the Options button on the DS4.

I hope this helps a couple of people !
smile.gif
Just download it and change the settings as reported above, if it still lags, turn off bluetooth then on until it stays constantly lag free after 30 seconds which is when lag starts.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Forgive me for being a complete noob about this but here is my thought process so far.
1. I was thinking of downgrading my s7 firmware to 4.0 but that is apparently impossible given the s7 came with 6.0 stock.
2. Since samsung is bad about AOSP, I try to modify the stock rom somehow without having to build from source. I think I may have to root my phone for this part to gain access to the .h file as I still have been unable to find it (with a root file browser from ASUS). I have no idea if this will work and I will need to give myself write access to these files.
3. Flash a custom rom like lineage OS and either see if the Bluetooth works natively, or fiddle with the files from there.
4. Flash a modified samsung source rom?
Is there anything else I should try? Which would be the best way to go about this? I'm going to start with number 2 first.
Someone would probably have a way easier time with this on a different device since samsung is notoriously closed off to modding, so please feel free to try what @igloo suggested above and let us know what happens.

2. Having root acces does not give you access the .h files. There are part of the source code of the ROM, which is not present in your phone. Think of it like changing the recipe of a cake : the .h files are the ingredients (well, a part of them). Once you have your cake, it is not possible to modify the ingredients you put in ! The only way to have a different cake is to make it with different ingredients :)
3. I already tried with both 14.1 and 15.1 Lineage OS and lags are still there
4. Since Samsung does not give the full source of their ROM, it is not possible to edit the required file.

Before customizing or modding files on your android, have you tried what I told above on my last post? It works for me with DS4 which has the same lag too.

Its a official free app from playstore -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myklos.btautoconnect

Just download it and change the settings as reported above, if it still lags, turn off bluetooth then on until it stays constantly lag free after 30 seconds which is when lag starts.

It doesn't work for me unfortunately :/

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's just a galaxy tab 4 SM-T230NU tablet, and have you tried again recently, the lag went away eventually for me, also, try rebooting the device

I believe it worked on older version the wii mote but newer android versions broke it and it now asks for a pin iirc
leave the pin blank

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
if it still lags, turn off bluetooth then on until it stays constantly lag free after 30 seconds which is when lag starts.

The lags don't appear after some time : they are always there and not consistent at all (sometime a single short press is not registered, other times it lasts half a second, all of that being delayed by XXXXms)

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lags don't appear after some time : they are always there and not consistent at all (sometime a single short press is not registered, other times it lasts half a second, all of that being delayed by XXXXms)
That was supposed to be used with the app I said not turning off then on without using the app it doesn't work...
It doesn't work for me unfortunately :/
Sometimes it didn't work 4 me either, but messing a bit after some point I get solid lag free connection that just keep working while using the Bluetooth autoconnect app with DS4 controller on my tablet. Without the app it's always 1 second lag and also don't register short button presses.

It's exactly what ppl reports here with the joy-cons so I think the app should work.

Last edited by guily6669,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leave the pin blank
I thought you were forced to type something into the field? I'll have to try later but I remember reading quite a few instances of it just being impossible with the newer android versions...well, newer at the time being 4.x.x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    Veho @ Veho: It inserts a newline in a random spot.