AMD Launches Ryzen: 52% More IPC, Eight Cores for Under $330, Pre-order Today, On Sale March 2nd

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote_IanCutress-page-011_575px.jpg
So today, AMD finally officially launched their long awaited Ryzen CPUs, starting with the 3 SKUs from the R7 lineup. Apart from boasting a 52% IPC increase over their previous generation Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture. The R7 CPU's boast 8 cores and 16 threads with an unlocked multiplier and a TDP as high as 95W for the R7 1800X and 1700X, with the R7 1700 being the black sheep of the group, with 65W. The pricing of the R7 lineup starts from $329 for the R7 1700, R7 1700X at $399 and $499 for the top dog R7 1800X. AMD hopes to take on the likes of the i7 7700K, 6800K and the 6900K with the respective processors. Pre-orders from major retailers today at 1pm EST, ready for a general hard launch on March 2nd.

AMD also plans to release their R5 and R3 CPU lineups to compete with the Intel i5 and i3 in the mid and lower range sector. However, no official date has been disclosed.

• Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
    • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
    • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, 65W, $329
:arrow:Source
Images courtesy: Ian Cutress (Anandtech)
Extra:

bye bye intel

Last edited by raystriker,

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About time there was some competition in the market. Intel's been pretty laid back the last few years. Hopefully this'll spark a war between AMD and Intel for better performing processors.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I wonder what Intel's gonna do. We do know that they plan on releasing a 7640k and 7740k sku, but that won't mean anything (just a 100mhz increment). I can't imagine Intel dropping prices on the 7600k or 7700k. Maybe they'll decrease like 50 usd on the 6900K, but that's it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok, i'm shitting bricks. Thanks AMD and @raystriker for posting this on the temp!
Hey no problem. I live for these things.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to say it, but Intel is holding back until ryzen is released. They'll release their new cpu that will crush ryzen. That's how it has always been.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hate to say it, but Intel is holding back until ryzen is released. They'll release their new cpu that will crush ryzen. That's how it has always been.
https://www.technewsinc.com/intel-8th-gen-coffee-lake-processors-14nm-chips-142514/

On the contrary, 8th gen Intel's will still be made on the 14nm platform and the claimed 15% performance increase. (Same as what they claimed between Haswell -->Skylake -->Kaby Lake but we know how that turned out)

Intel's check-mated on this one. They simply haven't put anything in their x86 R&D in the past few years.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People have short memories. Intel holding back just to crush AMD, that's how it's always been :rofl2:. So because AMD had a mistep with bulldozer and it's derivatives & had to ride it out, we forget everything else. Intel haven't always been on top. Intel only really climbed back on top with the core2 line. It was all AMD for years before that. Athlon xp, athlon 64, athlon 64 fx, all better than Intels offerings at the time. There's even an argument to be made that the old k6 processors were a better buy than the Intel equivlent.

Can't forget the trainwreck that was rdram or Intel being so on top at one point, they paid off oem manafacturers to only use Intel :rofl2:

Seriously, AMD make one mistep and history is apparently rewritten.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Looking at Intel and their false promises of performance growth in the Core (6th & 7th gen) line you can see Intel is holding back for the 8th gen. When Intel releases a better CPU AMD will drop the price of Ryzen and that's when I'll buy one. Those 8 core 16 thread processors for that price looks mighty delicious.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good for AMD I suppose, I've had too many bad experiences with their CPUs and GPUs in the past, I don't know if this will sway me away from Intel, heh.
When you are old enough, sure you will have been fucked by Intel and AMD in different occasions.
It's like they take turns to gangbang you.
Like I said, I still feel the burn of my Intel P4 1.5GHz and its 256MB max RAMBUS (because price).
And the burn was real, those memory modules could probably melt steel.
Fucking useless PoS.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__