Roman_42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi all,

just tried SMB and I've noticed that it has black borders on top and the bottom of the screen.
I'm living in Germany so I fear something extremely stupid:

Did they release the Ambassador NES emulators with PAL NES ROMS for Europe? Did we get slowed down 50Hz ROMS?

To the US American and Japanese users here: Do you have black borders on top and bottom of your NES screen or just on the sides as it should be?

EDIT: Shit, I didn't turn on my 3DS for a long time... I checked it again and the 3ds has little black borders around the screen. perfectly normal. Sorry for the panic...
If a Mod reads this, please delete the topic.
smile.gif

Shiro09

AAI2 Localisation Team
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
I'm in the UK and I have no borders on my SMB, its just as full screen as in any emulator. the speed runs the same as I'm used to.
Same with me nothing with mine seems wrong.

Roman_42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Shit, I didn't turn on my 3DS for a long time... I checked it again and the 3ds has little black borders around the screen. perfectly normal. Sorry for the panic...
smile.gif

If a Mod reads this, please delete the topic.
smile.gif

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty difficult to see what's going on in Zelda 2 when I only have half the screen to work with, Nintendo. Not a problem on a 42 inch plasma screen but you can't pull this shit on a handheld. Fuck, it's no wonder people use emulators. They're vastly superior, offer every game imaginable, and they're free for EVERYONE. And companies like Nintendo wonder why they're locked in a constant battle against piracy. Maybe if you did your job better than the pirates, the pirates wouldn't be necessary.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
Pretty difficult to see what's going on in Zelda 2 when I only have half the screen to work with, Nintendo. Not a problem on a 42 inch plasma screen but you can't pull this shit on a handheld. Fuck, it's no wonder people use emulators. They're vastly superior, offer every game imaginable, and they're free for EVERYONE. And companies like Nintendo wonder why they're locked in a constant battle against piracy. Maybe if you did your job better than the pirates, the pirates wouldn't be necessary.

What the hell are you talking about? the screen is almost pixel perfect with very little shrinkage. The aspect ration is 1:1 making the game appear the same as on any other emulator (on a computer). The image is the FULL HIGHT of the screen, making it wider will only warp the image and make it look worse. As for what you're saying about other emulators, they are meant for the DS screen resolution (256x192) and that is why it fits better, it's entirely because of the size of the screen, not the 'quality' of the emulator, which display-wize is much better than ANY DS based emulator I have used in the past.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
What the hell are you talking about? the screen is almost pixel perfect with very little shrinkage. The aspect ration is 1:1 making the game appear the same as on any other emulator (on a computer). The image is the FULL HIGHT of the screen, making it wider will only warp the image and make it look worse. As for what you're saying about other emulators, they are meant for the DS screen resolution (256x192) and that is why it fits better, it's entirely because of the size of the screen, not the 'quality' of the emulator, which display-wize is much better than ANY DS based emulator I have used in the past.
I agree, it's very good emulation and looks a lot better than NESds

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm simply suggesting that it's a waste of screen space having half the display as black. Wouldn't take much to give us a full screen option. Also, is it just me or is Zelda 2 somewhat laggy? Never played it on an original NES before, was it always like that?

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
I'm simply suggesting that it's a waste of screen space having half the display as black. Wouldn't take much to give us a full screen option. Also, is it just me or is Zelda 2 somewhat laggy? Never played it on an original NES before, was it always like that?

QUOTE(Fyrus @ Sep 1 2011, 02:11 PM) It always was a bit laggy when I played it
Weirdly I always find the NES classic GBA port is faster than the actual NES version (the GC collectors edition is slow as well)

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I didn't have any graphics issues at all with Zelda II.

The game itself is crap, but it's identical to the original crappy game as far as I can tell.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
regnad said:

The game itself is crap, but it's identical to the original crappy game as far as I can tell.
Though I respect your right to dislike Zelda II, I disagree strongly (trying not to start flamewar, using politeness)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i hate buttons being swapped so this will annoy me, in emulators you can change the buttons round so yeah i'm going to have problems with this.

Weaselpipe said:
regnad said:

Though I respect your right to dislike Zelda II, I disagree strongly (trying not to start flamewar, using politeness)

you are not the only one, zelda 2 is one of the games that is completely out of place from the series (next to the cdi games)

ah different topic, i thought you were talking about the button placement.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:

Technically less than 1/3 of the screen remains unused.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who actually owns a real live NES and Zelda 2... I can tell you this emulated version is fine. If any other emulator plays it differently (faster, less bugs, etc) it's actually inaccurate emulation. Specifically the timings are probably off for the faster... Something that's very common in emulators...

Example: Ever play a megaman game (original NES) and have the game slow down/bug out a bit when there is a lot on screen? That's supposed to happen... there are several emulators that play this 'better' because the emulated system runs fast... so everything displays properly and doesn't slow down... THAT is actually the bug.

It's all about proper reproduction, just because you CAN fix bugs that were present in the real game doesn't mean you should, as it's not accurate. This version of Zelda 2 has the same slight controller lag and occasional slowdown that the real system had. If you've never played the real zelda 2 on a real NES (IE, you were born in the 90's... you know who you are) you can't really give a good interpretation of how the game should be played.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
So you want to do this?
5496e0.jpg
---->
2el4g1e.png

I mean, that's effectively stretching a 4:3 video into 16:9. It doesn't look too bad...but doesn't look too great.
Not criticising, but I'm really fine without that feature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A