Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be a simple thing, give access to the OP on their own thread title, it would cut down on the work the mods have to do and generally take out some of the annoyance some users experience with thread titles :) it would make me (and I think many of the mods here) very happy

Last edited by dark_samus3,
D

Deleted-236924

Honestly if someone abuses it then sanction them or something, idk. The option should be there for when someone may need to edit their title.
How could it possibly be abused in a bad way anyway?

How though? It's a title, we shouldn't need mods to verify what WE want in OUR threads :P

If you can cause trouble with a title then there's something wrong with you
If you can cause trouble with a title, you don't need the ability to edit your titles for that, you can cause it at thread creation when you are deciding on the thread title.

Editing in something bad later after the thread has been created wouldn't suddenly allow worse things.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-236924

:rofl2:

But seriously, most people here are kids, its trouble in the making. The only part of the forum where the Thread title should be allowed to be modified is the Buy/Sell section.
Exactly what would editing thread title allow that simply being allowed to choose our thread titles can't?

Reactions: dark_samus3

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But seriously, most people here are kids, its trouble in the making. The only part of the forum where the Thread title should be allowed to be modified is the Buy/Sell section.
Ok, so what? Honestly show me ONE situation where it could even matter, and even in whatever situation (provided you can come up with one) mods could easily deal with it swiftly

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
We can edit our own posts, but not our thread titles. Editing thread titles is somehow prone to abuse, but editing posts isn't?
Over at Project Pokémon, we allow (or at least used to, I don't know, I'm not a normal user anymore) people to edit their own thread titles and I haven't seen any abuse of it. If it is abused somehow, vBulletin lets us see a history of every edit that was made to the thread (edits, renames, moves, closing, stick, unstick, the works), which we can then correct if necessary. Surely XenForo has a similar feature in the unlikely event it is abused.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

But that makes no sense. All kids being kids are most likely banned already.

I still hold my point in my post on the other page. Allowing to edit a thread title is very useful, and never caused any problem elsewhere I went.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh well I guess the mods here have their reason for not allowing thread title edits. I mean its not like the site has 20k members, and seriously how many times a day do you actually see a thread title changed?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Oh well I guess the mods here have their reason for not allowing thread title edits. I mean its not like the site has 20k members, and seriously how many times a day do you actually see a thread title changed?
Rarely, but typos and misleading thread titles though...

dark_samus3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happens a lot... Every [WIP] thread, every thread with a typo or that changes a name or shifts its focus, also people don't want to call mods to change a thread title and mods have better things to do than change a bunch of titles, there really isn't any possible abuse of it... Considering this there is NO reason why we users SHOULDN'T have the option

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
There are definite pro's and con's to allowing members to change the titles of their threads themselves. Personally from what I have seen transpire here over the years I would be very against people being able to change the title of their threads, not just because of the possibility of abuse but just to keep the forum coherent and threads focused on one topic. That is actually one of the primary reasons we do not allow unapproved thread title changes. Imagine people changing the titles of their threads at will because they are too lazy to create a new one and the focus of the thread changing because of that possibly multiple times. We would have some threads that would be a confused mess of discussion and no use to anyone looking back on them. Unless a typo has been made there should be no need to change a threads title and a mod can fix that in a few seconds, we aren't being bogged down with thread title change requests as it is.

Anyway I could literally go on for ages about why things should stay as they are because I have been involved in this kind of discussion multiple times. We have decided against this change multiple times because of some of the reasons I have outlined above and multiple others. I hope my reply has helped some of you guys see the bigger picture regarding our stance on this and the potential minefield of issues a small change like this could be. Anyway I will just go with the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" adage for now and close this thread. Thanks for the suggestion. :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit. Looks like I got in late, I will leave it up though.

Some of you are jumping to conclusions rather fast.

On abuse.
Search engines do not often crawl threads, see also if you search for things why it often says 11 authors/posts for a 5 page thread. They do however crawl forum sections a lot and we don't need the potential troubles that could arise from that -- modding is work enough without having to audit existing content as well. Sure you could log changes or have them approved but the former is more work and the latter is not all that much better than "report it or otherwise contact a staff member".
When people decide to try to delete/trash everything and leave. If they can take out a thread title as well then it gets troublesome if the thread they started has taken on a life of its own. This I have seen on a few occasions for various sites.
EOF style silliness extending to titles, probably the biggest fear (though the site leavers is probably the more damaging).

"people don't want to call mods to change a thread title and mods have better things to do than change a bunch of titles"
If you don't ask you don't get so learn to ask. There are always better things to be doing than any moderating task. However thread change titles are not a drain on resources at all and as you are usually helping someone out rather than cleaning up a mess it is no great imposition. Should it somehow come to pass that there are many thread name change requests and more time than is really justified is being spent on it then changing could be considered, I will worry about that shortly after I plan for the flood of 100000 hyper competent new users that we need to say provide metrics for to keep happy.

"All kids being kids are most likely banned already."
I do not like doing the "I has been here longer innit" bit as it is so rarely useful but I can safely say that while you have probably just witnessed the last holdouts of your first generation of "let us be unfunny in EOF/TA" finally being directed to the great /dev/null in the sky that I am on my sixth of seventh at this point. The names may change there are always more willing to take their place.

I agree that by and large GBAtemp is a good bunch and that most of the time it would probably go swimmingly. At the same time though you can call it variation on nothing ventured, nothing lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol