Adrenalin, what is my best option for versions

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am running Adrenalin on my vita TV and it looks like absolute garbage on my TV. The PSP games running natively through the Vita OS look amazing, so why is it that Adrenalin games look so horrible? The version I am running os the one that is currently on the homebrew Browser App, not the "Easy Adrenalin installer" version.

Is there a version that looks less shit, or that forces PSP games to run through Vita's OS? I would love to play Metal Gear Acid 1-2, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Flatout Head On, and several other games without my eyes bleeding.

I tried to apply the sharpscale plugin to my Vita, but it only works with PSP games running through Vita's OS and doesn't apply to Adrenalin run PSP games unfortunately.

One thing that did kind of work, was the blacklist plugin, which magically made several PSP games available on my PS store like Maverick Hinter X, which I can now play without Adrenalin. I just wish it had worked for more titles. But games like Metal Gear Acid 1-2, and Flatout were never available on PSN anyway.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am running Adrenalin on my vita TV and it looks like absolute garbage on my TV. The PSP games running natively through the Vita OS look amazing, so why is it that Adrenalin games look so horrible? The version I am running os the one that is currently on the homebrew Browser App, not the "Easy Adrenalin installer" version.

Is there a version that looks less shit, or that forces PSP games to run through Vita's OS? I would love to play Metal Gear Acid 1-2, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Flatout Head On, and several other games without my eyes bleeding.

I tried to apply the sharpscale plugin to my Vita, but it only works with PSP games running through Vita's OS and doesn't apply to Adrenalin run PSP games unfortunately.

One thing that did kind of work, was the blacklist plugin, which magically made several PSP games available on my PS store like Maverick Hinter X, which I can now play without Adrenalin. I just wish it had worked for more titles. But games like Metal Gear Acid 1-2, and Flatout were never available on PSN anyway.
This is the latest version and there is no "other" versions

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline/releases/tag/v7

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
What do you mean by "PSP games running natively through Vita OS"? Are you speaking on legit titles downloaded from PSN?

Also give this a try with Adrenaline for visuals:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-best-adrenaline-psp-picture-settings-ever.604395/

And then this for input lag:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/adrenal...duces-input-lag-over-using-adrenaline.605839/

And see if that makes a difference. I initially refused to use Adrenaline as it made games look like a blurry mess but the above uses the latest version and the output (whilst not perfect) is crisp and colorful, looking very close to a PSP 1000 output natively.

Reactions: Tarmfot

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Iirc Adrenaline uses a very hit or miss selection of screen filters by default, open the adrenaline menu as detailed in the manual / helpful threads linked by ital above and set them to what you prefer.

I don't have a Vita TV so I can't speak for certain that's going to work best on a big screen, but for most 3D games on my 2000 Advanced AA and smooth graphics works best.

From what I can tell it's possible to select 720p or 1080i as output resolution. Both of which have the problem that they don't allow for pixel perfect integer scaling, so you could try reducing the scaling to the nearest integer, for 720p that'd be 2 and for 1080i it'd be 3. If you have a 4k TV best to let your TV handle the upscaling as much as possible.

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am running Adrenalin on my vita TV and it looks like absolute garbage on my TV. The PSP games running natively through the Vita OS look amazing, so why is it that Adrenalin games look so horrible?

What do you mean by "PSP games running natively through Vita OS"? Are you speaking on legit titles downloaded from PSN?

Also give this a try with Adrenaline for visuals:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-best-adrenaline-psp-picture-settings-ever.604395/

And then this for input lag:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/adrenal...duces-input-lag-over-using-adrenaline.605839/

And see if that makes a difference. I initially refused to use Adrenaline as it made games look like a blurry mess but the above uses the latest version and the output (whilst not perfect) is crisp and colorful, looking very close to a PSP 1000 output natively.
Thats exactly what I am talking about, running PSP games downloaded from PSN through vita's firmware instead of adrenalin.

I wonder why nobody ever found a way to run any PSP game (legit or not) natively on Vita instead of needing to use Adrenalin or Adrenalin bubbles. You'd think if we can port android games, we could do something like that :P

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
It has been worked on with a port of PPSSPP. Original plan was to let Adrenaline handle the data/audio and tunnel out the video to the Vitas GPU that way we'd get a clean 2x upscale and use all of the hardware optimally. That apparently wasn't as easy as suspected so a full port of PPSSPP was demoed as a proof of concept but its nowhere near optimized to be able to be used and then was never heard of again.

Hopefully the new low level GPU drivers that were created should breathe new life into this project as that would make the Vita the ultimate handheld. There are doubts that the Vita on its own can run PPSSPP fully on its own steam due to the ARM chipset and various other factors:

https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=20085

I'd be willing to bet thats why we haven't heard anything because the initial idea of splitting the rendering would've been perfect if it worked as it wasn't emulation per se but a compatibility layer rendering to a PPSSPP based frame buffer.

The GTA native res ports of PSP titles proved this is theoretically possible within the limits (even though you lose some graphics effects and whatnot) which was a great feat of engineering. If native 2x PPSSPP is pulled off it will be quite awesome but I suspect the new range of more powerful Android devices using similar chipsets to this phone are what will be needed to make it happen:

As they handle it perfectly and don't need any workarounds or extra thinking due to having the power/working ports available.

Still would prefer to see it on the Vita. It just feels proper there so lets see what the devs can do.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thats exactly what I am talking about, running PSP games downloaded from PSN through vita's firmware instead of adrenalin.

I wonder why nobody ever found a way to run any PSP game (legit or not) natively on Vita instead of needing to use Adrenalin or Adrenalin bubbles. You'd think if we can port android games, we could do something like that :P
I don't think you quite understand how PSP games are handled by the Vita. Adrenaline basically replaces the custom firmware Sony used to offer the backwards compatibility on the Vita, as Sony basically just cut out most of the PSP features that weren't strictly needed to play games. Adrenaline as such runs PSP games as "natively" as Sony made it possible, but with an expanded set of functionality.

What you're requesting is not backwards compatibility to PSP software but straight ports of PSP games to the Vita OS and hardware. Which is technically possible but much harder to accomplish both on an individual game level and particularly globally. You'd basically have to create a compatibility layer like Proton or Wine for linux first. People are picking away at something similar to that, but it'll be quite a while before a better solution than Adrenaline comes along.

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you quite understand how PSP games are handled by the Vita. Adrenaline basically replaces the custom firmware Sony used to offer the backwards compatibility on the Vita, as Sony basically just cut out most of the PSP features that weren't strictly needed to play games. Adrenaline as such runs PSP games as "natively" as Sony made it possible, but with an expanded set of functionality.

What you're requesting is not backwards compatibility to PSP software but straight ports of PSP games to the Vita OS and hardware. Which is technically possible but much harder to accomplish both on an individual game level and particularly globally. You'd basically have to create a compatibility layer like Proton or Wine for linux first. People are picking away at something similar to that, but it'll be quite a while before a better solution than Adrenaline comes along.
Oh my god you condescending arse, I understand exactly how PSP games are handled. Sorry you feel the need to be so pedantic and utterly unhelpful....oh and also so utterly incorrect.

You see my friend, YOU are actually the one who does not seem to understand how PSP games work on Vita. They are not "emulated" as you seem to think, but run natively on the Vita, as PSP support is built into the firmware. They are not individually ported. I cant believe you thought that after this many years. So silly:P

PSP games are simply listed as available or "not available" on PSN (Like Mega Man Powered Up, which can be bought digitally on PSP, but not on Vita), or were never made available digitally (Like Metal Gear Acid), but any PSP game can run natively through the Vitas firmware/OS, so long as you are able to fool the OS into thinking it is a "supported" game.

Run the blacklist plugin, and you'll suddenly see several PSP games on the PSN that were never made available for Vita, (Like Maverick Hunter X), which can then be downloaded and run (without adrenalin) using the vita's firmware.

It is hilarious when someone is so condescending but 100% wrong in like, every single thing they say. You look like such a goof right now dude. Try to be polite, and accurate in the future! :)

EDIT: Oh and your info is also inaccurate as there is a current alternative to Adrenalin that does exactly what i was looking for, basically injects any PSP game into an existing one supported by Vita, allowing you to play whatever PSP game you like natively on Vita:

Try Chovy Sign:

https://github.com/KuromeSan/chovy-sign/releases

Its an alternative to Adrenaline which allows you to inject any PSP ISO into Sonys official loader with no extras. In theory that should give you a 1:1 identical experience to your PSN bought titles as its running with the same overhead and same output options, just no blacklist or limited title selection.

Last edited by Adrian-E-C,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh my god you condescending arse, I understand exactly how PSP games are handled. Sorry you feel the need to be so pedantic and utterly unhelpful....oh and also so utterly incorrect.

You see my friend, YOU are actually the one who does not seem to understand how PSP games work on Vita. They are not "emulated" as you seem to think, but run natively on the Vita, as PSP support is built into the firmware. They are not individually ported. I cant believe you thought that after this many years. So silly:P

PSP games are simply listed as available or "not available" on PSN (Like Mega Man Powered Up, which can be bought digitally on PSP, but not on Vita), or were never made available digitally (Like Metal Gear Acid), but any PSP game can run natively through the Vitas firmware/OS, so long as you are able to fool the OS into thinking it is a "supported" game.

Run the blacklist plugin, and you'll suddenly see several PSP games on the PSN that were never made available for Vita, (Like Maverick Hunter X), which can then be downloaded and run (without adrenalin) using the vita's firmware.

It is hilarious when someone is so condescending but 100% wrong in like, every single thing they say. You look like such a goof right now dude. Try to be polite, and accurate in the future! :)

EDIT: Oh and your info is also inaccurate as there is a current alternative to Adrenalin that does exactly what i was looking for, basically injects any PSP game into an existing one supported by Vita, allowing you to play whatever PSP game you like natively on Vita:

Try Chovy Sign:

https://github.com/KuromeSan/chovy-sign/releases

Its an alternative to Adrenaline which allows you to inject any PSP ISO into Sonys official loader with no extras. In theory that should give you a 1:1 identical experience to your PSN bought titles as its running with the same overhead and same output options, just no blacklist or limited title selection.
Ah, yes, I guess the Flow knows less about the Vita when you do when he says on the official Adrenaline release page that it replaces the built in PSP emulator's firmware with a custom one to blow it open. And I guess the tool you've linked here doesn't just create a modified vpk to trick the unmodified emulator into thinking it's an official released ROM from the PSN like it says in the description. They also mention if a game doesn't work as injection source to try a different one, further implying there is a built in emulator it accesses, otherwise there should be no such compatibility issues between titles.

Yes, the emulator shipped with the Vita might have a bit less overhead in edge cases, but if you disable all the fancy screen filtering in Adrenaline, specifically smoothing and f.lux), it should be practically identical unless you've found a bug somewhere, in which case reporting your findings to The Flow would be appreciated so it can be fixed for everyone.

Also, I didn't try to be pedantic, just trying to dispel the misinformation that it's running "natively" like DSi or GBA games do on a 3DS. Sony's solution for PSP backwards compatibility is general purpose emulation similarly to some VC titles on Nintendo's systems, but iirc they do use HLE and compatibility layers as much as possible to make it almost as good as running it directly on the OG hardware. But they're not actually running directly under the Vita OS any other way like Adrenaline does, as it also uses the built in emulator as basis.

Last edited by RAHelllord,

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, yes, I guess the Flow knows less about the Vita when you do when he says on the official Adrenaline release page that it replaces the built in PSP emulator's firmware with a custom one to blow it open. And I guess the tool you've linked here doesn't just create a modified vpk to trick the unmodified emulator into thinking it's an official released ROM from the PSN like it says in the description. They also mention if a game doesn't work as injection source to try a different one, further implying there is a built in emulator it accesses, otherwise there should be no such compatibility issues between titles.

Yes, the emulator shipped with the Vita might have a bit less overhead in edge cases, but if you disable all the fancy screen filtering in Adrenaline, specifically smoothing and f.lux), it should be practically identical unless you've found a bug somewhere, in which case reporting your findings to The Flow would be appreciated so it can be fixed for everyone.

Also, I didn't try to be pedantic, just trying to dispel the misinformation that it's running "natively" like DSi or GBA games do on a 3DS. Sony's solution for PSP backwards compatibility is general purpose emulation similarly to some VC titles on Nintendo's systems, but iirc they do use HLE and compatibility layers as much as possible to make it almost as good as running it directly on the OG hardware. But they're not actually running directly under the Vita OS any other way like Adrenaline does, as it also uses the built in emulator as basis.
Yeah I think The Flow uses the word emulator for lack of a more descriptive word. As the way PSP games are run is not emulation. They are utilizing hardware and software through official support. So it is not "emulating" the PSP firmware and hardware, it is official PSP firmware running PSP games (if you want to be SUPER pedantic, PSP games run natively on hardware, with software emulation running official firmware). Thats why the Vita can't run PPSSPP, because if it was emulated, even officially, the vita simply wouldn't have the power to run PSP games at 2X resolution with bilinear filtering through emulation without the vitas natively supporting PSP on the hardware level.

You need to look up the word emulator if you want to be pedantic about it. Because right now you just look like a condescending arse who has no idea what he is talking about.

Last edited by Adrian-E-C,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah I think The Flow uses the word emulator for lack of a more descriptive word. As the way PSP games are run is not emulation. They are utilizing hardware and software through official support. So it is not "emulating" the PSP firmware and hardware, it is official PSP firmware running PSP games (if you want to be SUPER pedantic, PSP games run natively on hardware, with software emulation running official firmware). Thats why the Vita can't run PPSSPP, because if it was emulated, even officially, the vita simply wouldn't have the power to run PSP games at 2X resolution with bilinear filtering through emulation without the vitas natively supporting PSP on the hardware level.

You need to look up the word emulator if you want to be pedantic about it. Because right now you just look like a condescending arse who has no idea what he is talking about.
There is no PSP GPU in the Vita, only a MIPS Allegrex R4000 handling the CPU instructions directly, as well as other small pieces that pull duty to help support it hardware wise. PPSSPP doesn't run well on the Vita since it can't utilize the MIPS chip directly and is thus having to emulate it on the ARM core, in addition to emulating the GPU.

Adrenaline literally uses the same solution on-board as the "native" Sony emulator, which is CPU instructions on the metal and GPU emulated, making both hardware assisted emulators. Which is why I'm pointing out if Adrenaline runs worse for you it must be a setting somewhere that's incorrect and ruining your experience for you, or there's a bug that's worth filing a bug report for.

However, if you find that the built in one works best for you don't let me stop you from enjoying it, I have no stake in this and as I've said I don't own a Vita TV, it's entirely possible Adrenaline handles worse on the TV since apparently that's using a different SOC to the other Vita versions, so there might actually be some compatibility issues that The Flow didn't take into consideration for that version. But again, if that's the case maybe a bug report would be worth it.

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no PSP GPU in the Vita, only a MIPS Allegrex R4000 handling the CPU instructions directly, as well as other small pieces that pull duty to help support it hardware wise. PPSSPP doesn't run well on the Vita since it can't utilize the MIPS chip directly and is thus having to emulate it on the ARM core, in addition to emulating the GPU.

Adrenaline literally uses the same solution on-board as the "native" Sony emulator, which is CPU instructions on the metal and GPU emulated, making both hardware assisted emulators. Which is why I'm pointing out if Adrenaline runs worse for you it must be a setting somewhere that's incorrect and ruining your experience for you, or there's a bug that's worth filing a bug report for.

However, if you find that the built in one works best for you don't let me stop you from enjoying it, I have no stake in this and as I've said I don't own a Vita TV, it's entirely possible Adrenaline handles worse on the TV since apparently that's using a different SOC to the other Vita versions, so there might actually be some compatibility issues that The Flow didn't take into consideration for that version. But again, if that's the case maybe a bug report would be worth it.
PPSSPP doesn't run well on Vita because it PSP is supported on the hardware level natively. If you tried to run an actual emulator (hardware and software), it would simply never be up to snuf with what the Vita does natively.

And sony running an official firmware isn't actually "emulation" because it doesn't emulate the firmware, it is the firmware. Completely the opposite of what "emulation" is. The only way sony's software support for PSOP on Vita could be called "emulation" is that the Vita isn't a PSP, and so when using the official firmware, the console is literally emulating the form and function of a PSP. But to use that definition of emulation (to only refer to software and not hardware support) is completely pedantic.

But the MOST important thing to note here is your idea that getting PSP games running through the vita's normal firmware would require a porting of the PSP game is beyond wildly inaccurate. So maybe if you're in the mood to dispell false ideas, make sure you don't have them yourself! :)

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PPSSPP doesn't run well on Vita because it PSP is supported on the hardware level natively. If you tried to run an actual emulator (hardware and software), it would simply never be up to snuf with what the Vita does natively.

And sony running an official firmware isn't actually "emulation" because it doesn't emulate the firmware, it is the firmware. Completely the opposite of what "emulation" is. The only way sony's software support for PSOP on Vita could be called "emulation" is that the Vita isn't a PSP, and so when using the official firmware, the console is literally emulating the form and function of a PSP. But to use that definition of emulation (to only refer to software and not hardware support) is completely pedantic.

But the MOST important thing to note here is your idea that getting PSP games running through the vita's normal firmware would require a porting of the PSP game is beyond wildly inaccurate. So maybe if you're in the mood to dispell false ideas, make sure you don't have them yourself! :)
Oh, now I see what you're talking about. The firmware being partially present on the Vita doesn't mean it's running natively, otherwise you could argue supplying firmware to an emulator makes these games run natively. As an example the Switch emulators Ryujinx and Yuzu both require the presence of an official firmware to run, would you argue that this allows one to play Switch games natively under Windows? None of the hardware of a Switch are present in a modern windows PC, and the x86 processors most commonly used do not support any of the ARM commands the Switch uses.

Emulation is still the process of taking code from the instruction set of the client device and make it compatible to the instruction set of the host device. In the case of the Vita this means all calls to the PSP's GPU are instead reworked to run on the Vita's differing GPU instruction set. The contrast to that being the CPU of the PSP which is able to be run on a dedicated chip inside the Vita that understands that code as is.

You don't have to emulate an entire system with both hardware and software to still have something be emulation. You can emulate parts separately as needed, an approach Sony uses here to save costs.

So yes, if you want to run PSP titles natively on a Vita you must rework the game to actually work directly with the Vita's GPU instruction set as the bare minimum, meaning it needs to be ported.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
One of the things I've found so perplexing about PSP on Vita is how its obviously running at a higher clock speed (estimates around 500Mhz compared to 333Mhz on PSP at full power).

Thing is the Allegrex R4000 CPU @333mhz that apparently can't be ran any faster but on the other hand the way it allocates memory, handles audio processing etc via Kermit might be responsible for the quickening due to more overhead being freed up. Interesting read about Kermit:

https://lolhax.org/2012/03/29/kermit/

It would be very interesting if anyone could code a benchmark app that tested the differences between the Vita and PSP as its quite obvious some titles are just running way faster than they ever did on real hardware. Oddly others are lagging like crazy, esp rhythm games which makes me think something about the interpretation layer that handles inputs has some kind of bottleneck in translation whereas instructions that are just passed straight through don't cause an issue.

Any coders upto that?

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, now I see what you're talking about. The firmware being partially present on the Vita doesn't mean it's running natively, otherwise you could argue supplying firmware to an emulator makes these games run natively. As an example the Switch emulators Ryujinx and Yuzu both require the presence of an official firmware to run, would you argue that this allows one to play Switch games natively under Windows? None of the hardware of a Switch are present in a modern windows PC, and the x86 processors most commonly used do not support any of the ARM commands the Switch uses.

Emulation is still the process of taking code from the instruction set of the client device and make it compatible to the instruction set of the host device. In the case of the Vita this means all calls to the PSP's GPU are instead reworked to run on the Vita's differing GPU instruction set. The contrast to that being the CPU of the PSP which is able to be run on a dedicated chip inside the Vita that understands that code as is.

You don't have to emulate an entire system with both hardware and software to still have something be emulation. You can emulate parts separately as needed, an approach Sony uses here to save costs.

So yes, if you want to run PSP titles natively on a Vita you must rework the game to actually work directly with the Vita's GPU instruction set as the bare minimum, meaning it needs to be ported.
No, PSP games do not need "ported", they simply need to be run/allowed to run, on a system already provided to run them. This is why 100% unsupported games, like aforementioned Maverick Hunter X, which was never supported by Vita, will run the game just fine when you remove Sony's blacklist. No porting necessary, the removal of the blacklist just lets you download ALL PSP games from PSN, even if they are supposed to be available exclusively for the PSPgo and not the Vita.

And no, the reason I say it isn't emulation is because it is Sony running official Sony firmware on a Sony device, with support for PSP on the hardware level. So on an official device, it is not emulation, it is just official software running official games. No emulation necessary.

Adrenalin is not Sony, so even if they were running official firmware (which they kind of do as they use official firmware as a base) it is still a tool that piggybacks on the Vita's existing infrastructure to run PSP games, it is really only emulating a few key software systems to fully recreate the PSP environment. This also, isn't really emulating the PSP, just the PSP's interface, not the system that runs the games. The most important factor, the game playing, it not being handled by emulation.

If something it 90% natively supported on the hardware and software level, and using 10% emulated systems to fill in gaps. It would be silly and pedantic to call it emulation. This is what you are doing my friend. You gotta stop because you just look like you re being argumentative and pedantic for the sake of being an argumentative and pedantic troll.

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the things I've found so perplexing about PSP on Vita is how its obviously running at a higher clock speed (estimates around 500Mhz compared to 333Mhz on PSP at full power).

Thing is the Allegrex R4000 CPU @333mhz that apparently can't be ran any faster but on the other hand the way it allocates memory, handles audio processing etc via Kermit might be responsible for the quickening due to more overhead being freed up. Interesting read about Kermit:

https://lolhax.org/2012/03/29/kermit/

It would be very interesting if anyone could code a benchmark app that tested the differences between the Vita and PSP as its quite obvious some titles are just running way faster than they ever did on real hardware. Oddly others are lagging like crazy, esp rhythm games which makes me think something about the interpretation layer that handles inputs has some kind of bottleneck in translation whereas instructions that are just passed straight through don't cause an issue.

Any coders upto that?
I think the 2x scaling and bilinear filtering of the game accounts for a few of those extra Mhz. Though I have definitely witnessed a few PSP games running at a smoother framerate etc on the Vita than they ever did on PSP (and a couple games that were indeed laggy AF), so you're not wrong there!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yeah, its quite odd. For sure the 2x scaling and Kermit processing is taking a chunk out of that extra speed but what you're left with is still in excess of the standard hardware (minus the odd quirks mentioned).

I went into it in detail in my other thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-best-adrenaline-psp-picture-settings-ever.604395/#post-9761907

Along with some points to inspire anyone looking for solutions/coding a way to get native resolution (Feel free to send it to Andy Nguyen if you're on the socials/know him). I do think its entirely possible and its something Sony would've done had the PSP not been so thoroughly cracked as that would threaten the Vitas security so it was sandboxed with limited resource access as we saw instead. Why else would they have picked a screen that was perfectly double the resolution if not for the purpose of that?

The modders have done a great job so far and all thats left really is optional extras that need creative solutions so if my input helps make that happen then cool as I don't mod any more. Definitely feel the solution lies in unlocking the extra VRAM and/or dropping the bits to up the res because something has to give in order to quadruple the pixel count on this chipset.

PPSSPP would add to the overhead but expanding the scope of the current config however would generate more room to play for better results than Gepatch.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And no, the reason I say it isn't emulation is because it is Sony running official Sony firmware on a Sony device, with support for PSP on the hardware level. So on an official device, it is not emulation, it is just official software running official games. No emulation necessary.

Adrenalin is not Sony, so even if they were running official firmware (which they kind of do as they use official firmware as a base) it is still a tool that piggybacks on the Vita's existing infrastructure to run PSP games, it is really only emulating a few key software systems to fully recreate the PSP environment. This also, isn't really emulating the PSP, just the PSP's interface, not the system that runs the games. The most important factor, the game playing, it not being handled by emulation.
At no point at all is that the distinction of emulation versus natively running of software. If code is not capable of running without an interpreter of some form it can't be native, ever.

If something it 90% natively supported on the hardware and software level, and using 10% emulated systems to fill in gaps. It would be silly and pedantic to call it emulation. This is what you are doing my friend. You gotta stop because you just look like you re being argumentative and pedantic for the sake of being an argumentative and pedantic troll.

> GPU only being 10% of a PSP

LMAO. Alright I'll stop replying to you, you have extensively demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about with absolutely no desire to grasp even the basics of how PSP games actually work on the Vita, and to what lengths Sony went to actually offer that functionality without adding more hardware and thus making it more expensive.

PPSSPP would add to the overhead but expanding the scope of the current config however would generate more room to play for better results than Gepatch.

That is where I was hoping PPSSPP port would go to. Get rewritten to run on the ARM SOC, off-load all the PSP's CPU instructions to the MIPS, then the actual Vita hardware would only have to handle the GPU and the remaining small bits and pieces like boot loaders, audio, etc. That should effectively allow the thing to run at full speed and offer proper upscaling to the native resolution. It might even allow for texture mods due to the massive increase in RAM and VRAM availabe to Vita software. Maybe one day The Flow will grace us with with just that.

Adrian-E-C

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At no point at all is that the distinction of emulation versus natively running of software. If code is not capable of running without an interpreter of some form it can't be native, ever.

> GPU only being 10% of a PSP

LMAO. Alright I'll stop replying to you, you have extensively demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about with absolutely no desire to grasp even the basics of how PSP games actually work on the Vita, and to what lengths Sony went to actually offer that functionality without adding more hardware and thus making it more expensive.

That is where I was hoping PPSSPP port would go to. Get rewritten to run on the ARM SOC, off-load all the PSP's CPU instructions to the MIPS, then the actual Vita hardware would only have to handle the GPU and the remaining small bits and pieces like boot loaders, audio, etc. That should effectively allow the thing to run at full speed and offer proper upscaling to the native resolution. It might even allow for texture mods due to the massive increase in RAM and VRAM availabe to Vita software. Maybe one day The Flow will grace us with with just that.
If we are including hardware in the equation, yeah, GPU is a very small component (even the most powerful components are useless without an infrastructure for that component to actually y'know...do something. I would call RAM a small component of a larger system too). Why would you think otherwise? That is a rhetorical question. You don't need to make yourself look stupid by answering.

Also, just so you really know your ideas are idiotic, go open an ISO from PSN, one available for the PSPgo, and the vita, you'll notice the data is 100% unchanged. Meaning the PSP games have not been ported, they are playing in their original state. Not 98% identical, not 99% identical,100%. Because it is the same game as what plays on PSP. Not a port. This includes games that released for PSP long before the vita came out.

So clearly this idea of yours that PSP games are ported to Vita is just the stupidest thing I think I've ever heard in my life.

Go educate yourself, and in the meantime stay out of my thread with your useless pedantic nonsense :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Honestly the EyeToy games where like proto augmented reality